FML general thread [8]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Re: FML general thread [8]

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:01 pm

I messed up a bulk rename in my hentai pics folder and now all my pics have had their extensions changed to .jpg. Groan. And I closed the utility before I realized what had happened, so I can't undo it. It doesn't change the files, obviously, but I'd rather my image-viewing program (custom-made, of course) know the right file type so it can distinguish ones that should be animated from ones that aren't. Googling for a solution took longer than my annoyance threshold so I'm just giving up on it for now.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:33 am

It should be an easy enough job of scripting, just opening the files and dumping the header bytes -- .gif files start with the bytes "GIF89a" (hex 47 49 46 38 39 61, the first eight bytes of a PNG file always contain the following (decimal) values: 137 80 78 71 13 10 26 10 and the JPEG start of image marker is FFD8 hex.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:32 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I messed up a bulk rename in my hentai pics folder and now all my pics have had their extensions changed to .jpg. Groan. And I closed the utility before I realized what had happened, so I can't undo it. It doesn't change the files, obviously, but I'd rather my image-viewing program (custom-made, of course) know the right file type so it can distinguish ones that should be animated from ones that aren't. Googling for a solution took longer than my annoyance threshold so I'm just giving up on it for now.

how many images do you have
SPOILER: Show
expecting like 50,000 or something to be honest
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:06 pm

figures I try to be responsible for once in my life and something always happens to make it look like I'm the the bad guy. I shouldn't have even bothered.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:26 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:It should be an easy enough job of scripting, just opening the files and dumping the header bytes -- .gif files start with the bytes "GIF89a" (hex 47 49 46 38 39 61, the first eight bytes of a PNG file always contain the following (decimal) values: 137 80 78 71 13 10 26 10 and the JPEG start of image marker is FFD8 hex.

It fuckin' worked. :thumbsup:

View Original PostLavinius wrote:how many images do you have

In total? 37,980 "lone" pics not all in the same place (possibly some manga accidentally included in that count). If we include manga, that's an extra 59,162. The files in question that were affected by the mishap number just ("just") 12,000 or so.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:56 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:In total? 37,980 "lone" pics not all in the same place (possibly some manga accidentally included in that count). If we include manga, that's an extra 59,162. The files in question that were affected by the mishap number just ("just") 12,000 or so.

Figured. And about what proportion of these do you think you could with enough time vaguely remember / be aware you have without checking?
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:13 am

:headscratch: Heck if I know. A lot of 'em are from my mass-downloading days when I first had a computer that was truly my own, and haven't even been looked at. My rate of acquisition slowed way down a few years ago when I realized that an ounce of not-downloading-in-the-first-place is worth a pound of pruning effort later.
System Administrator

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:44 pm

So apparently I completely and utterly bombed my midterm. As in here's a point for signing your name... now get out. Seriously that bad.

It was just one huge essay question graded on a rubric. Apparently I overthought it and created a trick question where one wasn't intended, and because of that I spent the entire time answering something almost completely unrelated to what was expected, thus missing every opportunity for scoring points by saying the right things the rubric was looking for.

FUCK.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:57 pm

^ Over here it is possible to make an appeal with a special commission if questions are worded in such a way that they are open to gross misunderstandings (because that's the teacher's failing). Perhaps something similar is possible at your school?
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:08 pm

he has office hours on Tuesday, i'll see if anything can be worked out then.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:10 pm

Shit, man. I'm sorry about that, flunked exams are always painful.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:10 pm

Dang, NemZ. Everything you've said about your time at law school makes it sound like academic hell.
System Administrator

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:15 am

That's horrible news, NemZ. I hope Shamsiel-kun's suggestion works out an you can work something out with your teacher.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:19 am

Oh the joys of rigid standardised marking schemes! My sympathy, for what it's worth...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:52 am

That's a major bummer. Hope you can work something out.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:12 pm

On further consideration I don't even know if I can or should talk to him about it since the test was proctored and graded via assigned numbers for anonymity, so right now he has no idea who it was that fucked up this hard. The registrar's office put the proctoring together so they might be the folks to talk to as an intermediary, but the "student complaints" link on their page is a 404 error. Great.

On the other hand there's a rumor floating around that in past years he's only used the midterm as a substitute for one essay on the final if you screw up then rather than reporting it directly, so it might only be cutting free my safety net and not actually screwing me over just yet. But who knows?!

:scanners_head:

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:24 am

Meeting this afternoon to hopefully address some of this crap.

In other news, apparently 'death of the author' arguments happen in contract law as well.
"yes the contract says X, but I really meant for it to mean Y instead..." :facepalm:

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:44 pm

Good luck, NemZ.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:59 am

I was invited to a friend's birthday party, which was yesterday. Unfortunately, due to the rather long distance from my house to hers and a lack of any viable transport solutions I was unable to attend. So that kinda sucked. A shame as it would have been the first birthday party I'd have gone to in years.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:21 pm

First day in Cape Town my wife was attacked and her necklace taken from her neck. We were crossing a car park between the City Hall and the Castle of Good Hope (where there was a big flower show). But she was not injured, and we drove them off before anything else got taken (she didn't realise about the necklace until later).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”