[Tech] Lousy question about installing Linux Mint

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

[Tech] Lousy question about installing Linux Mint

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:45 am

Just quoting from /tech/- I want a second opinion.
I wrote:Alright, so, using UNetbootin I managed get Mint (17.2_Live_x64) onto a flash drive, and have managed to boot it (by disabling the Windows Boot Manager in the boot order) such that I can get to the install screen.
However, I only have options to install in an OME mode (for manufacturers only!) in a "compatibility mode" and and a... not-compatibility mode, I guess.
This causes me some hesitation- I am certainly not a manufacturer. Will going ahead cause issues? Again, I can't make Windows inaccessible! And if it will, what can I do to install in a non-OME mode?
...sorry...
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:37 am

For one. INSTALL GENTOO.

Secondly, I'm a little confused as to what you are asking. You don't need to disable the window bootloader, just change the boot order. INSTALL MINT ON A ANOTHER DRIVE FOR FUCK'S SAKE. Seriously, don't mess with partitioning, it's a nightmare. When Mint installs, you will likely get the option to install GRUB and it will detect other operating systems. If everything went smoothly, then, when you boot, you will get a screen that asks you to pick an OS. Windows will be one of them.

If you are not given any options during the installation about install GRUB, the "GRand Unified Bootloader", or just "the bootloader", then it will almost assuredly just do it anyway. Mint is supposed to be a system that mere mortals can install with little hassle. Unlike, say, Debian, which requires a little more knowledge of what you want.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:42 am

View Original PostCatamari wrote:Secondly, I'm a little confused as to what you are asking. You don't need to disable the window bootloader, just change the boot order.

That's what I did at first, but I had figured that disabling would be... more proper.

View Original PostCatamari wrote:INSTALL MINT ON A ANOTHER DRIVE FOR FUCK'S SAKE. Seriously, don't mess with partitioning, it's a nightmare. When Mint installs, you will likely get the option to install GRUB and it will detect other operating systems. If everything went smoothly, then, when you boot, you will get a screen that asks you to pick an OS. Windows will be one of them.

If you are not given any options during the installation about install GRUB, the "GRand Unified Bootloader", or just "the bootloader", then it will almost assuredly just do it anyway.

I-I can't make heads or tails of this. The only thing that makes perfect sense to me is the "install on another drive", but that isn't an option. But then you say something which seems to depend on dual booting...

Moreover, I am forced to say, none of that answers my question, about whether using the OME mode will itself cause issues...

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:14 am

Okay. So here's what you need to do, as far as I can see. Put another hard drive in your computer, preferably of a different size than your original one (makes it easy to tell them apart). Let's say that Windows resides on drive A and you will be putting Linux on drive B.

First, set your boot order to allow you to boot off of a CD (or USB stick, depending on the medium that houses the Linux installation). Boot. You will get a welcome screen for the Linux mint installer.

Proceed with the installation. When it asks what drive you wish to install it onto (drive B), instruct the installation wizard to install Mint onto that drive. From there, you may get an option about installing a bootloader onto the linux drive. Tell it install the bootloader.

Just follow the directions. They are pretty simple.

Honestly, though, if this is what's snagging you, I would suggest you not use Linux. It will only become more complex from here on out, and you'll be back asking about package managers and how to use the terminal.

If you're really interested in Linux, I would be willing to help, but it's something that takes time getting used to.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:54 am

Step 1 cannot be reached, so if it is actually a necessity then I'm already lost.

I had naïvely assumed that there would be a prompt in the Mint installer to partition the hard drive, but you seem to mean that there is not. If that is indeed the case then I suppose that I must search further.

But that even is irrelevant until I determine whether the OME mode would... well, when I wrote that, and it was my only question, I was simply worried that since it was "for manufacturers only!" it would not include the partition option that I supposed to be there, but I'm not sure what I'm asking about it now...

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:58 am

One question (serious): Why do you want to install Linux?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:22 am

View Original PostLavinius wrote:But that even is irrelevant until I determine whether the OME mode would... well, when I wrote that, and it was my only question, I was simply worried that since it was "for manufacturers only!" it would not include the partition option that I supposed to be there, but I'm not sure what I'm asking about it now...
You've said OME a couple times, now, so it isn't a simple typo. The initialism you are looking for "OEM" or "Original Equipment Manufacturer". OEM copies of operating systems are given to manufacturers (like Dell, or very large, non-computer-sales companies) that need to install Windows on thousands of computers. OEM licenses never run out.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:35 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:One question (serious): Why do you want to install Linux?

The Windows is Seele shit meme, admittedly, and, equally, curiosity and the desire to have at least a bit of experience or knowledge in... installing Linux.

View Original PostCatamari wrote:You've said OME a couple times, now, so it isn't a simple typo. The initialism you are looking for "OEM" or "Original Equipment Manufacturer". OEM copies of operating systems are given to manufacturers (like Dell, or very large, non-computer-sales companies) that need to install Windows on thousands of computers. OEM licenses never run out.

Ach. I remembering misspelling it at one point, but I must have confused the two.
So, would one of those ever be lesser than a standard version?

Edit: Hold on a second! The partition thing was not merely an assumption! But that's within the virtual machine, so...

Painted Jezebel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Painted Jezebel » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:10 pm

Lavinius, it sounds like you're pretty new to Linux. Don't worry, Mint's a fairly friendly distro, so you should be just fine. Like Catamari said, OEM's are usually for manufacturer use, so try going for one of the regular versions with all the codecs pre-packaged. Personally, I'm liking Cinnamon, but MATE, KDE, and Xfce also have their good points. Added bonus - KDE is really nice to newbies.

From what I've heard, going into your BIOS and changing the boot order is the standard way to force your machine to boot directly to your live medium (USB in your case). It sounds the person you're quoting on /tech/ is getting to the first menu that shows up, though. When you get to that point, select non-compatibility mode. This will eventually bring you to a login menu. Don't stress out over usernames and passwords yet - just hit enter twice. User "mint" will automatically log on.

At this point, you'll be free to play around with the operating system before you decide whether or not you want to install it. However, if you create any new files, they won't be saved. If you decide that you like the version of Mint that you're testing out, select "Install" and follow the installation wizard. Very early on in the install, you'll be asked if you want to install Mint 17.2 alongside your current operating system. I decided not to do this (updated from ver. Maya), so I'm not entirely certain where the process differs at this point.

Catamari, do you know whether or not Mint Rafaela KDE has a partitioning tool out of the box? I know Maya did, but 17.2 Cinnamon doesn't. Also, I've never tried Gentoo out. It's pretty great, then?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:53 am

If Lavinius' intent re Linux is to learn, then the simplest thing to do is install a hypervisor like VMWare Player (or whatever they are calling it nowadays), and put Linux on a VM inside Windows. It's a lot simpler and safer than trying to worry about boot managers, he says, speaking from experience. And it's sufficient for ensuring cross platform compatibility of any code you are writing (which is my main concern these days)

When you are happy about that, you can think about saving up your pennies for a second hard drive and then following Catamari's suggestion. The expert stage would be to install Open Source Xen, reinstall Windows on a VM in one virtual disk so it can see the BIOS (so activation carries over), and Linux on another.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:38 am

I thought the VMware player wouldn't create new VMs (and Windows activation relies on more than the BIOS, too).

Anyway, I wouldn't muck around with the Windows installation; simply install Virtual Box (free, and the easiest starter VM system) and you can install and run Linux in it just fine. When you've got to know it a little, you'll be better placed to decide whether to learn how to go further.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:08 am

View Original PostPainted Jezebel wrote:Catamari, do you know whether or not Mint Rafaela KDE has a partitioning tool out of the box? I know Maya did, but 17.2 Cinnamon doesn't. Also, I've never tried Gentoo out. It's pretty great, then?
I don't know if KDE on Mint comes with a partitioning tool. It didn't when I installed Debian, so I installed GParted. As for Gentoo...I don't use it, I run Debian. "Install Gentoo" is a joke from 4chan's /g/ board.

Hodges, I second VirtualBox. It's free and pretty easy to use.

Painted Jezebel
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Painted Jezebel » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:22 am

Mr. Tines, I can definitely see your point. I'll have to play around with virtualization a little more - it's been a while, so I hadn't even considered the option! I think VirtualBox was what I was using before (thanks, pwhodges!)

Catamari, I think the liveDVD I was using must have had GParted already on it, then. It was surprisingly easy to use once I got the hang of it. I've never heard of the Gentoo joke. I guess I don't hit up the *chans very often. Oh well.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:57 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I thought the VMware player wouldn't create new VMs (and Windows activation relies on more than the BIOS, too).
Last time I had recourse to it, player would create VMs but not take snapshots. As for the bare-metal hypervisor case. I thought sufficiently unlikely that just giving an idea that it would be complicated would be enough, rather than attempting full-on how-to.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”