[News] strange happenings of 2015

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:18 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Clearly you have your users better trained than I have!

While I was purposely being facetious about how easy it is, I'm sure some of your users know how to download a program and run it. It really isn't that hard, there's nothing going on that tries to make it hard or prevent it from getting removed. It's not a virus.

------------------

Not that anyone in their right mind would run smbd on an unprotected port or not behind a firewall, but it's still something that's pretty nasty. Patch already available.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:29 am

View Original PostOrnette wrote:It's not a virus.

Sure it's not. But facilitating ads is already a bad thing as it provides a route that many viruses and trojans arrive through. That it can compromise HTTPS on the way just makes it even less desirable. Here's a somewhat worse version (and I have read the footnote):

[url]https://blog.hboeck.de/archives/865-Comodo-ships-Adware-Privdog-worse-than-Superfish.html[/url]
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:21 am

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:49 pm

2015-02-10: Russian opposition leader Nemtsov does interview in which he says he's afraid Putin will have him killed, due to his opposition of war in Ukraine.

2015-02-27: Russian opposition politician Boris Nemtsov shot dead

Of course, there can be coincidences...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 27, 2015 7:52 pm

Putin is Ex-KGB, the guys a stone cold killer and he commands the biggest country on earth! What did you expect?

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:42 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Of course, there can be coincidences...

Critics of the ruling party being mysteriously shot dead on the streets of Moscow is by no means a new phenomenon.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:21 pm

View Original PostBobBQ wrote:Critics of the ruling party being mysteriously shot dead on the streets of Moscow is by no means a new phenomenon.

Yeah, gotta say, as coincidences go this one is pretty damn unlikely.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:57 pm

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/28/a-head-transplant-is-a-terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-idea.html

About the only people who are willing to pay huge amounts to risk their lives for this, uh, Frankensteinian "breakthrough", are more likely the narcissistic.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:24 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/28/a-head-transplant-is-a-terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-idea.html

About the only people who are willing to pay huge amounts to risk their lives for this, uh, Frankensteinian "breakthrough", are more likely the narcissistic.

Considering the continuing work in creating replacement organs out of stem cells, who wouldn't want to be able to grow a younger copy of their body and stitch their head onto it?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:07 am

I'm thinking of pulling a PWHodges and changing my Avatar to reflect various stages of my Fanfic.

Of Course I'll actually have to get around to PUBLISHING It!

Ugh. I hate my schedule. :facepalm:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:11 am

View Original Postdrinian wrote:Considering the continuing work in creating replacement organs out of stem cells, who wouldn't want to be able to grow a younger copy of their body and stitch their head onto it?

Considering that the head would continue to age normally I'm not sure that would be all that hot of an idea. It's all meaningless until you find a way to keep the brain going first.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:22 am

Heh - I just watched Mushi-shi Zoku Shou ep 6 (I won't spoil those who haven't yet by saying why it's relevant).

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:12 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Considering that the head would continue to age normally I'm not sure that would be all that hot of an idea. It's all meaningless until you find a way to keep the brain going first.

The ideal solution would be to clone a whole new body and find a way to transfer your memories and personality to it.

Although we're wandering into 'who wants to live forever' territory then.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:02 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:The ideal solution would be to clone a whole new body and find a way to transfer your memories and personality to it.

Although we're wandering into 'who wants to live forever' territory then.

But would that really be you? Would the old copy of you die and replicated by a new copy that acts like you and thinks like you but isn't really you? Stuff like this is why I'm happy with my finite natural lifespan.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:57 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:But would that really be you? Would the old copy of you die and replicated by a new copy that acts like you and thinks like you but isn't really you? Stuff like this is why I'm happy with my finite natural lifespan.

I don't see why a very poorly thought-out proposed method of attaining immortality makes immortality any less desirable.
In any case, what is proposed there certainly would be more meaningful (though infinitesimally) than having children, which for some reason seems to satisfy most.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:06 am

[url]http://www.inquisitr.com/1881975/westboro-baptist-church-announces-intent-to-picket-leonard-nimoys-funeral/[/url]

Ugh; I put it here so as not to pollute the thread on him.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:29 am

Those bigots don't speak for me. What is their problem?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:39 am

I continue to hold out for the day my mind can be transferred to distributed cloud network among a swarm of nanobots capable of atomic reorganization and self replication.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:06 pm

I am already the entire universe. I just forgot for a while.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:28 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:[url]http://www.inquisitr.com/1881975/westboro-baptist-church-announces-intent-to-picket-leonard-nimoys-funeral/[/url]

Those bigoted fools know nothing of the power of the fandom they are messing with.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”