FML general thread [7]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:02 am

My dog had to be rushed to the vet by my mother today while I was at work. He was fine before I left, but later he apparently got the shakes, couldn't walk or eat, and now he has to stay at the vet overnight, maybe longer. Clearly he ate something he shouldn't have, and I don't know what. They have him on an IV and they're detoxing his system, and hopefully he should be better tomorrow or the next day. I'm still very worried though, especially since it may have been my own carelessness that let him get into whatever he got into it. :sniffle:

Oh, and I have two midterms tomorrow, which I'm going to have fun focusing on in light of all this. Wonderful.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:05 am

That's terrible, Sachi. I hope he makes a speedy recovery.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:12 am

Hmm. My dog did that once after getting into some mushrooms growing out int he back yard. Sucks man.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:05 pm

Hope he pulls through okay!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Lavinius » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:23 am

›have two days to write a major essay I barely understand
›already doing poorly in the class
›afterwards I have at least three other major workloads with imminent due dates
›lonely
›hungry
›depressed in general as always
›already so that form of comfort's out of the question
›shower schedule messed up

:gendo:
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:42 pm

Update: got my dog back from the vet yesterday. He was still lethargic last night, but this morning he seems to be pretty much back to normal.

And I aced both my midterms, so all is okay.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:25 pm

Glad to hear your dog is alright.
[Redacted]

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:58 pm

That's good to hear, Sachi. :D
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:11 pm

I'm getting really tired of cynicism on the Internet.

LET MY PROVE MY SOPHISTICATION AND MATURITY BY NEVER ENJOYING ANYTHING EVER AND DECLARING JIHAD ON ANYONE ELSE ENJOYING IT EITHER

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:03 am

I've completely lost all passion for the guitar :sniffle:

I used to play nonstop, doing new things, finding out techniques and writing (I thought) interesting stuff, now it's just a chore to pick it up and be so comparatively restricted in my skill and my musicality than I am on the piano.

Man this sucks.
Leave Shinji alone

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:54 am

Backstory: I'm near the end of my graduate degree and after a long string of nothing but A's and B's I find myself in a class I'm struggling with for reasons more psychological than ability-related. In fact nearly all of it is stuff I've done before, but that just compounds the misery, because it makes me feel like I'm treading water. Anyway, as a result of my utter apathy, which has included not even bothering to finish assignments, I have a horribly low grade in this class, and we're in the final few weeks so there's not much room now to make up for it. Every point counts.

The current event: With this past week's assignment, I stayed up for many hours on its due date trying to finish it, and long past my bedtime I gave up and went to turn it in online, but saw something on the turn-in website that made my jaw drop: the due date was set for two weeks from when it was assigned, not the usual one. Nov 12 was the due date I saw.

Thinking I had an entire extra week, I didn't even bother to turn in the half I'd completed.

I logged on today to watch this week's lecture and in the early goings they start discussing the assignment. In disbelief, I went to the turn-in website.

The due date listed this time was Nov 5th.

EDIT: I did the math and assuming my un-turned-in assignment comes back a 0 I will have a total score so far of 61.5%, which is close to what I would have guessed I'd be at if I'd aced this most recent assignment. So I'm not as doomed as I thought -- in fact considering that you have to pass the final to pass the class, at this point even if I were to perform just at current par on all the rest of my assignments I'd have to fail the final to fail the class. :sweat:

EDIT 2: I made a mistake by forgetting to weight the midterm score. I'm actually polling at a 57% right now in this class. :zer_sweatdrop: So it's possible for me to pass the final but still fail the class, but only if I do what I'd consider extremely poorly on the final anyway.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:56 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Backstory: I'm near the end of my graduate degree and after a long string of nothing but A's and B's I find myself in a class I'm struggling with for reasons more psychological than ability-related. In fact nearly all of it is stuff I've done before, but that just compounds the misery, because it makes me feel like I'm treading water. Anyway, as a result of my utter apathy, which has included not even bothering to finish assignments, I have a horribly low grade in this class, and we're in the final few weeks so there's not much room now to make up for it. Every point counts.

I'm having pretty much the same problem you're having right now. I could be doing much better than I am, but I just don't have the motivation anymore.

For instance, I have a final project in this management class I'm taking and we turned in a draft last week and I thought it was more of a "rough-draft" type of deal where you just needed to have the meat of what you're doing on it; instead it was a more polished "final-draft" type of deal where it needed to be presented in a certain format with citations all finished and everything and apparently zero grammatical errors. The fact that 6 out of the 7 teams apparently did it wrong and got similar scores to us means that we're probably going to get lectured at tomorrow which will be annoying to sit through. When the majority of the class doesn't do the assignment the way you want it, it's probably more your fault than ours; but anyways, I've got a patronizing lecture to look forward to tomorrow at 9:30.

I really need to stop delaying and go see that therapist. It'll probably help with my motivation issues among other things.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:01 pm

The professor made an exception for me and accepted my late assignment. :sweat: I had it only half complete, but everything I did was perfect, and 50% is a lot better than 0%.

This puts me at exactly 60% overall for the class right now. I am right on the hair's edge of failing this class; my grade literally could not be any lower and still passing. :lol:

But that means I'm back to that position where as long as I pass the final I'm guaranteed to pass the class. Phew!
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:47 pm

The internet at my apartment was painfully slow yesterday evening. Hopefully it will resolve itself and I won't have to go through the hassle of calling Time Warner to figure out what's wrong.
Movin' Right Along

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:51 pm

I remember back in the Northeast, Time Warner always sucked or screwed up something for us. Though I'm sure your mileage will vary. Hope it all works out!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:32 pm

Apparently my modem had a firmware problem that appears to have been fixed now.

New FML though: another one of my group project teams forgot to attach citations to what we were turning in and so we got docked 3 (maybe more) points out of 40 giving us a rather low grade (75%)
Nothing seems to be going right for me academically this past week or so, it's just making it that much harder to get motivated when I do work hard on something and get a mediocre grade back.

EDIT: Apparently last night was the small stone that starts an avalanche. I'm going through a major depressive episode today. Sadness, anger, hopelessness, annoyance, and melancholy all rolled up into one. This is my worst episode in a long time and I'm frankly a bit worried. I've pulled myself out before, but you never know.
Movin' Right Along

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:39 pm

Well, my conure Donald finally moved into the apartment a couple of days ago. He's in a smaller temporary cage for now, but seems to be doing okay overall. We were separated for probably over a month, so he's been extremely needy and tends to freak out when I'm not in his direct line of sight. He seems to get agitated when I get up to do anything at all, in fact. Which has been... limiting, needless to say. My boyfriend has not been dealing with Donald well, either. I've tried to prepare him for living with a parrot for the years we've been "going out", but being stuck with Donald in an enclosed space, with other people living a thin wall away, and needing to get sleep in accordance with a graveyard shift schedule, has broken him very fast.

Maybe we can still work this out. Donald's proper cage isn't even here yet, after all. He might be more tolerable once he feels more comfortable. Makes sense, right? But worst comes to worst, Donald can always go back to my parents' house. He drives my mom crazy, but I don't think they'd abandon him. It's just... I'd feel really bad about having to abandon him.

Taking care of a parrot is really hard and I frequently feel like I don't have the chops for it. But my sister's been making Donald other people's problem ever since she originally bought him. It's in fact incredibly common for parrots to be abandoned by their owners, to become someone else's problem. It's not fair to anyone. I didn't ask for this shit, but neither did Donald. I hate that intelligent social beings like parrots have to suffer because of human indiscretion. We're breeding these poor creatures who don't really belong anywhere. They can't live in the wild anymore, but they are clearly not meant for captivity, either.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:02 pm

Log: day eight without Internet in the dorms.

The situation has become desperate: we had to eat one of the smaller trainees in order to survive.

...in hindsight, we probably could have gone to Walmart.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:02 pm

I have a laptop, only five years old and from an office-oriented range, which has been running Windows 7 very nicely. I recently decided to use it as my testbed for learning about Windows 10 in practice, so I ran the upgrade. Result? Well, it runs very nicely, except that the wireless card is not supported - it just barely works, but keeps hanging. I learn that it was already not supported in Windows 8, so clearly there will never be an update. I guess it's time to wipe and reinstall Windows 7...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:56 pm

Well, Donald has been settling in nicely since he got his cage back. Unfortunately, I haven't been doing so well. Ever since the move, I've been sick off and on. There was a brief spat of fluishness (vomiting and chills and so forth), but mostly ear-nose-mouth and respiratory tract bullshit. Chronic sinusitis, maybe. It wasn't much more than a week ago that I finished off my antibiotics for one bout, and they seemed to work, until yesterday when I felt those painfully swollen neck nodes once more and an unwielding blockage in the left side of my nasal cavity.

I always had sinus problems, but never this bad, so presumably it's environmental... except my boyfriend isn't suffering any health issues. My best guess at the moment is that the comforter I took out of storage and neglected to wash is the culprit, since it could be harboring a large population of antigens that I would be the one taking the full brunt of. I really hope it's something that simple, since I don't want my life to linger in continued stasis while I struggle to resolve this...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”