EGF's House of Lonely Hearts

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:53 am

Okay so I've got a situation.

I've been at my job for about two months, and there's this girl at work who I've taken an increasing interest in. She is diligent, relatively easily to talk to, studied literature and linguistics (two things I like), but is rather reserved. We do not talk all that often, but when we do she seems enthusiastic and engaged.

What our interactions have been like:
SPOILER: Show
Looks-wise, she's actually quite attractive but not in an in-you-face way. She's a brunette, almost as tall as I am (about 175cm, I'm 180), thin, and has beautiful eyes. She comes from Slovakia and though her English is fluent it is clearly her second language. Not that this is a bad thing.

The conversations we've had were mostly about what she studied in university. She learned German in high school but didn't like the language; however, she likes German authors and wrote a dissertation on a German work, which she readily described to me. This is good since German language and literature is something I'm into as well. Furthermore, she took some Chinese and seems generally interested in Eastern stuff. She says she spends a lot of time reading.

We've also discussed languages. I took a couple years of Russian in university, but don't have good command of it at all. When I mentioned this, she said that Slovak was a good choice if one wants to get into other Slavic languages. After doing some basic research on Czech and Slovak (the two are mutually intelligible, I'm told), I realized that most of the grammar and half the vocabulary is actually Russian or variants thereof written in the Latin alphabet and that picking it up wouldn't be so hard.

She seems to have been pleasantly surprised when I told her I would learn Slovak (I qualified this by saying that it would be a stepping stone to Russian), and later complimented me on my understanding of the grammar. I might also mention that she is the only person I can think of who says I look my age. Everyone else says stuff like "oh you look like you're in high school." FWIW, she's three years older than me.

When we talk, she seems to prefer facing me and making eye contact. She doesn't laugh much, but she smiles a lot. Our conversations are casual but not heated. Then again she does seem like a relatively mellow person.

Now for the problems. Her work schedule is different than mine (I get in at 8-ish and leave at 6-7pm, she gets here at like 11 and leaves around 10pm), and she works in a different team, about ten meters away from me. So I can't really hang out with her while working exception in the rare situation one of us needs something done from the other.

All the times we've talked have been "accidents" (some real, some engineered by me) during lunch and dinner breaks, and she seems to have no interest in actually initiating any conversation unless she wants something work-related done. She doesn't seem to greet anyone except in situations where it would be super awkward not to. This is weird since whenever we do talk she's super cool. I haven't had the chance to investigate in detail but I get the feeling that she's like this with everyone.

The single biggest problem as I see it is that I simply don't see enough opportunities to get to know her better outside of what short, uncertain, and easily-interrupted conversations I can manage during breaks. The substance of our contact is great, but there's not much of it. I'm pretty sure she isn't taken but even that is something I can only infer at this point.

It's possible that this is all one-sided and I've been friendzoned (more like coworker-zoned) since she could well be pleasant to everyone. Based on previous experience, I'm kind of assuming this by default, but maybe that's not a good mentality. I don't know if I should be more aggressive or if I should take things really slowly and stay safely outside of the "creeper" realm. At the same time however I don't want her to think I have no interest in her.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:31 am

^Grab coffee with her sometime. Not that office crap. Someplace drinkable. Don't think about asking her, don't stress out, and don't make her into some big deal or even a #1 priority. Act without judgement or reservation. Be cool, be natural. These things aren't the things that really matter in the long run, anyway.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:00 pm

Add to the above: Friendship is not a path to earn relationship points. Friendships often grow into relationships, but no one sets out to start a relationship via friendship and succeeds. Well, no one that matters.

On another note:

Day 464. No trap.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:17 pm

Merri and Chuckman took the letters right out of my keyboard. Remember their advice, and things'll be great. :nod:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:55 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Add to the above: Friendship is not a path to earn relationship points. Friendships often grow into relationships, but no one sets out to start a relationship via friendship and succeeds. Well, no one that matters.

On another note:

Day 464. No trap.

That seems a bit paradoxical to what I've been taught. I thought you EASE into a relationship, especially a long-term one, after you build into a friendship, cause you want to get to know a person before you commit to THAT kind of relationship, right?

If you move too fast, you come across as a stalker and a pervert, who's only interested in the physical aspect.

If you move too slow, you're just "friend-zoned".

Where the hell is this middle ground? Cause I haven't found it apparently.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:16 pm

Not really, no. People behave differently in friendships and relationships. Friendship just doesn't work as relationship auditioning. That's why most people get into relationships, have them for a while, break up, repeat, and either settle down or don't according to their nature.

The behaviors of friendship and the behaviors of romance are two different things and do not mix. I'm talking about many things here- unconscious behaviors and social cues. Add to that the relatively recent development of mixed-sex friendships and the way dating and socialization have changed and you have every reason to be confused. There used to be a lot of social pressure putting couples together and for many people today that pressure is gone and everyone is feeling out how that works.

Trust your feelings and intuitions. They're your instincts evaluating a potential partner and sending signals that are sometimes built over time and sometimes click and form that sexual tension that everybody talks about.

I think I problem I had when I was younger and a problem a lot of young men have is that we're not giving these instincts a chance to work in favor of some kind of "approach". I know my problem, a problem that ruined friendships by trying to force them into something they were not, was that I used to (and if I'm not careful, still do) treat every single interaction with a woman as a potential sexual partner if I can check off a list of points that when accrued will prompt her to remove her underwear and assume the position. Not only does that not work, people can just feel it and it smells pathetic.

That's not how it works. You ever see somebody of the gender binarilarity that you're into and it just clicks in your head? Heart rate speeds up, adrenaline drops, a stupid smile forms on your face and all of a sudden your confidence just ratchets up through the roof? That feeling is your instincts telling you the person in front of you is a compatible mate. Detecting things like pheremones and some other scent thing I can't remember the name of and pupil dilation and resemblance to your hot cousin and general attitude and shit like that. There's a hot kinda like a stoner chick that works at the pharmacy down the road that does that to me every time I see her but she has absolutely no interest in me. Que sera, sera.

If both ends don't feel that nothing is going to happen. You don't work at it and force it into happening with cooperation. There's lots of reasons why people who have long friendships end up involved romantically or sexually but it's not because friendship is a trial period for romance. There's always a reason why that spark was denied or it just hadn't happened yet.

Also, there's a social code here. Different things indicate different kinds of relationships and trying to twist one to the other is disingenuous and manipulative. Friendship should be a safe space, especially for a women, as women are socially conditioned not to be confrontational and to compromise and accept, so if you befriend a girl and she's not into you that way and after a long time make a move to date her when she doesn't have a clear reason to say no, there's a lot of fucked up gender role pressure to roll with it and try to nonconfrontationally wave you off, like talking about ex boyfriends, talking about going camping with ex boyfriends, asking you to take a break, and eventually dumping you via text message when you can't take a hint.

Erm. Yes.

So trying to use friendship as relationship auditioning is an easy way to screw up a long string of friendships and that's bad.

Why? Girls are friends with other girls and her cousin or friend from the bowling league or whatever might see you and feel her ovaries throb at the exact instant you see her and your wingwang dances the hokey pokey in your tighty-whities and the babymaking dance begins and maybe ends in heartache and maybe ends in babymaking and if you follow any love story long enough it becomes a tragedy but that's beautiful too, because sorrow is part of life and suffering is part of the tapestry of our lives and misery is part of chaos and chaos is light and life, the exultant fire of creation and every day we exist in this universe when it's not suffering spontaneous vacuum collapse is a gift, cherish it.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:54 pm

In short, friendship is friendship; romance is another matter, and it may come or not.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:You don't work at it and force it into happening with cooperation.

Actually, this is just what happens in arranged marriages, and those whose culture imposes such often remark how successful they can be.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:59 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:If both ends don't feel that nothing is going to happen. You don't work at it and force it into happening with cooperation. There's lots of reasons why people who have long friendships end up involved romantically or sexually but it's not because friendship is a trial period for romance. There's always a reason why that spark was denied or it just hadn't happened yet.

100% this. For some friends that eventually turn into couples, the spark might take awhile to happen. For others, friendship is the only relationship there is. And either situation is perfectly okay, as long as there's honesty and respect from both sides.

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:02 pm

I reviewed the situation a bit and realized that whatever the facts are, being attached to her isn't going to help me in the least, because then every little thing that happens between us will be really stressful for me even though it isn't actually significant. I guess you just can't force a relationship at all, unless you're purely trying to seduce someone, which is neither my intention nor within my ability.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:18 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:

Actually, this is just what happens in arranged marriages, and those whose culture imposes such often remark how successful they can be.

Oxytocin works wonders.
the prophecy is true

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:25 pm

What the heck have you been on Chucky? And can I have whatever it is, times 100? :lol:

And, you do make sense, Romance is a realm that just happens and there aren't any rules to abide by when you come across your significant other. When you find him/her, whatever happens, happens. :)

I guess I'm kind of frustrated as well by both my lack of experience, and my age at the moment. As you know before, my last girlfriend was also my first, in 25 YEARS.

And since I'm 25 now, I guess I'm just at the point where I'm "feeling my age", with little romantic experience, which I KNOW is ridiculous considering I'm only 25.

But when you have so many movies, anime, video games, and who knows what other media beating into your head about couples finding love and independence at SUCH young ages, like late teens to early 20s....you can't help but fell your age when you've felt that you've missed that.

And I know, I'm being ridiculous, so feel free to call me out on this. :lol:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:33 pm

Entertainment pushes teenage love as the center of the universe because teenagers = drama and angst. What makes a good story oft does not make a good life.

The bones of experience is failure and the heart of wisdom is sadness.
the prophecy is true

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:51 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Why? Girls are friends with other girls and her cousin or friend from the bowling league or whatever might see you and feel her ovaries throb at the exact instant you see her and your wingwang dances the hokey pokey in your tighty-whities and the babymaking dance begins and maybe ends in heartache and maybe ends in babymaking and if you follow any love story long enough it becomes a tragedy but that's beautiful too, because sorrow is part of life and suffering is part of the tapestry of our lives and misery is part of chaos and chaos is light and life, the exultant fire of creation and every day we exist in this universe when it's not suffering spontaneous vacuum collapse is a gift, cherish it.

So...just wander around the planet on the off-chance you find your soulmate. Great. :|
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:38 pm

I seriously hope that Chuckman has the best sex of his life within the next year. Epic posts.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:09 pm

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:But when you have so many movies, anime, video games, and who knows what other media beating into your head about couples finding love and independence at SUCH young ages, like late teens to early 20s....you can't help but fell your age when you've felt that you've missed that.

And I know, I'm being ridiculous, so feel free to call me out on this. :lol:

Hey, I didn't find my true love 'til I was 26, so you're in good company. :wink:

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:59 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:So...just wander around the planet on the off-chance you find your soulmate. Great. :|

Do you have something better to do?
the prophecy is true

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:21 pm

...aaaaand we just had a two-hour conversation mostly about hard and soft consonants. I think she's just someone who's inwardly very nerdy but doesn't show it. In end she was like "yay I have someone to talk about my native language to." Whatever happens I think this will end well.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:26 am

The love of my life is coming back to town for the holidays. I really want to be excited but I feel like I'm only going to be able to think about how she's leaving again the whole time.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:39 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Do you have something better to do?

It's not the time management that bothers me so much as the completely random chance of finding or not finding. Like, the world is pretty vast and you've only got a finite amount of time and no clues except a vague mental image and some rusty primal instincts. I guess 80 years is a fairly long amount of time as humans measure it but it's still a tad annoying when you see people who already seem to have got it pretty spot-on and found their potential life partner. Maybe I've just been indoctrinated by the books and films that suggest you find true love in your late teens/early adulthood, but it still feels like once you're out in the big wide world the chances of finding a good match diminish substantially.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:41 pm

Well I hope that misunderstanding (or whatever it was) that I put over here has been cleared up now.

I did like reading that first post though.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”