Anyone not like beer?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:08 pm

I fuckin' love good beer.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:57 pm

The only beer I find myself able to enjoy are semi-classy Belgian and Dutch beers. I just don't enjoy the taste.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:15 pm

Wahhhh I'm afraid now I will never like beer.

Same goes for red wine. :(
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:40 pm

Red Wines are trickier because one wine can taste completely like another.

A good one to start (if you have the money, can find it, in america, etc.) is The Prisoner.

Very ruby.

EDIT: Should we make this into an Alcohol General Thread? or is there already one?
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:22 pm

I could never enjoy any alcoholic drink, the very few times i tried it was just terrible. I really don't think i would drink alcohol even if i enjoyed it, given it's potentially negative effects.

Then again, seeing as it's apparently an acquired taste i probably just need to force myself to like it. Hopefully i'll never need to get used to it.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:42 pm

*sees thread title*

I am not like beer. I am more like a ninja.

Seriously though, beer is a great relaxer. I don't partake of it often, though. There are not many times I need to relax so much that I need a beer.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:11 pm

I'm an ale-bibber first and foremost.

The great thing about beer is that at 3-4% ABV, you can sink several pints of it without getting intoxicated and regretting it later. Yes, there are higher ABV beers, but they really miss the point and rarely taste as nice. Outside of Northern France (a boule of cidre being obligatory with crêpes) it's difficult to find a decent cider on much less than 6% -- enough that I notice it's falling down water after a pint -- and wine is there to take in small doses with or following food to cleanse the grease from the palate, either neat or diluted in the French style. After using spirits to get hammered on a few occasions in student days, I now have an omnivore reaction to them, so they just count as expensive ways of buying surgical spirit.

View Original PostTankred wrote:I jus' drink boddingtons after a hard day and am not sophisticated enough to try others beers, unless anyone can recommend some in the UK.
My beer of choice is Shepherd Neame Master Brew, or failing that, their Spitfire, out of a bottle or from a southern style handpump (rather than being drawn from the cask through the sort of tight nozzle that turns most of your beer into froth).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:20 pm

To follow up my earlier remark: it's reached that time of the evening, on the night of the week that I am alone in the house, so I've just poured myself a whiskey - not Islay, as it happens, but The Glenlivet Master Brewer's Reserve. Beer just wouldn't cut it at this point.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:41 pm

You guys like IPAs?

A brewery in my city makes a really good one, whenever I'm in company and in town, I always race to get one.

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/1516-nz-victory-hop-devil-india-pale-ale/33064/

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:49 pm

The local default session bitter is Greene King IPA -- it's a decent enough beer, nothing exceptional, but after all these years, I've become somewhat bored with it.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:00 pm

I will generally drink beer over liquor or mixed drinks for the cost, quantity, and lower alcohol content. I no longer drink American beers but as there are several imports that I can go with, I can't say that I prefer one over some others. I do have a preference for hefeweizens.

There are non-alcoholic beers out there and if the idea of the general beer taste turns you off, you could go with Smirnoff Ice, which is sweeter and isn't quite a beer.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:24 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:I only drink water. Also, didn´t we have a similar thread?

Several, the newest and most active of which is the Alcohol/Cigs thread. I didn't merge this thread with that because the subject here is more specified and arguably separate from the general convo going on in older thread. Though if this thread keeps on evolving towards Drinks General and recommendations in larger scale as it has I'll probably go and do the merge eventually.

Paranoid
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Paranoid » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:14 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Yes, there are higher ABV beers, but they really miss the point and rarely taste as nice.

Have to disagree with this. I generally much prefer the flavor of strong Belgian beers. For example, one of my favorite beers is St Bernardus Abt 12 (which has a whopping 10%), although I slightly prefer their Prior 8 (which is 8%).
I like food.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."-Edel, Princess Tutu

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby CX1329 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:21 pm

View Original PostVegeta 20XX wrote:Beer (and alcohol in general, really) is an acquired taste - it's Stockholm Syndrome for your tastebuds, in that you drink it until you start liking it.

This is true. I used to despise the taste of beer, but now I like to drink it every once in a while. I tend to go for the classier types, though.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

Quiddity
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Quiddity » Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:49 pm

I've never been fond of beer and will only drink it when social situations dictate it. It doesn't taste good at all, regardless of the brand, and pretty much every other alcoholic drink is better tasting. In the overall scheme of things I'm not much of a drinker though, maybe a couple of times a month, that's about it.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:11 pm

View Original PostQuiddity wrote:I've never been fond of beer and will only drink it when social situations dictate it.

I don't get "social drinking". You purposefully drink something you don't like, just because everyone else is doing it? Why not drink something you like? What's wrong with sitting around a table of beer-drinking friends while your can or bottle happens to say Dr. Pepper or whatever on it instead of Budweiser?

Scratch that: I do get social drinking, or at least I think I do, I just hope that I'm wrong.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby LegionWrex » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:42 pm

Due to my age, I've stayed away from most alcohol until I turn 18. Until then, I let other people enjoy the beer for me :D
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:12 pm

I can't have alcohol due to health problems so... yeah.

Also, I've just never cared for carbonated beverages in general.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:26 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:You purposefully drink something you don't like, just because everyone else is doing it? Why not drink something you like? What's wrong with sitting around a table of beer-drinking friends while your can or bottle happens to say Dr. Pepper or whatever on it instead of Budweiser?

Social drinking is succumbing to peer pressure... (Isn't it?)

I stopped drinking about four years ago and mates still pester me whenever I'm at a party or something, haha.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:30 pm

We ought to have a drugs general thread.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”