[Kickstarter] Razorblade Angel, a Science Fiction Novel

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

[Kickstarter] Razorblade Angel, a Science Fiction Novel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:56 pm

So I've been away for a while, and one of the things I've been doing while away is work on a novel with a friend and several other people. That novel is now done, and all that's needed is for the publishing to be funded. That's where you come in. Thanks to a long story that I'm not at liberty to reveal this project (and the multitude of pictures that are going to go in it) is now being funded through Kickstarter, and we need money. $8,000.00 or more, to be specific.

Though, be forewarned, if the KS fails to meet its goals within the allotted time you won't be getting any of the goodies you bought, but you won't have to pay any money either.

So, what is this novel, and why should you pledge to fund it?

Razorblade Angel is a science fiction novel written by Rob Barba that stars a young Navy pilot named Tennyo "Angel" Starr several centuries into the future in a mission behind enemy lines in a galactic war that quickly spirals out of control into near total failure. Fortunately, the crew of the TNS Albert H. Konetzni aren't without a few tricks though, as they've brought along a prototype transforming fighter capable of turning the tide, and soon run across a resistance cell that's survived for years behind enemy lines and knows the lay of the land. Unfortunately, there's more than a few reasons the fighter is still just a prototype, the resistance cell's surviving members have been mistaken for pirates, the ship's in no shape to fight, and the enemy has both numbers and the home field advantage. So, basically, they're up a creek in a leaking boat with a rotten paddle with alligators closing in.

The story's about more than just Tennyo and her quest to find her father though though. The story's also about at least 20 other named characters (haven't counted) and their own stories, and the book is really carried by them, not the sci-fi action. Not that the sci-fi action isn't great, because it is and the climax is definitely one of the best I've ever read, but . . . Well, I'm dipping into spoilers.

To sum up . . .

Do you like mecha?
Do you like science fiction?
Do you like space?
Do you like anime?
Do you like nautical atmospheres?
Do you like military fiction?
Do you like large casts?
Do you like complex and interesting characters?
Do you like cyberpunk?
Do you like 200,000 word light novels?

If you answered yes to any of that then you'll probably like Razorblade Angel, and you should definitely consider funding this project at the following link.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/474595817/razorblade-angel-military-mecha-scifi-novel

If you have any questions at all feel free to ask and I'll try to answer the best I can without spoiling too much. ^_^
Last edited by Cody MacArthur Fett on Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:31 pm

I don't understand why you're going the kickstarter route. Seems like the sort of thing you could self-publish as a watermarked pdf at a much lower price.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:20 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I don't understand why you're going the kickstarter route. Seems like the sort of thing you could self-publish as a watermarked pdf at a much lower price.

While yes, services like Lulu do exist, it does state specifically that the funds are going to be used to pay for illustration work. That does cost money.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:44 pm

Ah, didn't mention that in the post. Fair enough.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:31 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Ah, didn't mention that in the post. Fair enough.

And now it has been.

Also, I should inform people that the author will be at Anime USA in Washington D.C. this weekend, and if you're going you can feel free to ask him all the details you want on the project.

Yup, because I'm a board member and the programming director, yours truly will be at Anime USA this weekend (in the Marriott Wardman Park in Washington DC!) If you've got questions on my of my projects (All-American Girl, Claude & Monet, or Razorblade Angel - don't forget to donate!), look me up in the programming room! I'm always more than happy to talk or whatnot!
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”