[News] 2013 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:39 am

I don't care if the "truth" is uncomfortable or depressing, I need answers! -o-;

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:28 pm

I'm sure they'll find something that changes the entire perception of physics again in a couple of years.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby MAGI_01 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:10 pm

[URL=http://defensetech.org/2013/10/30/first-zumwalt-class-destroyer-launched/?ESRC=deftech.sm]The U.S.S. Zumwalt (DDG 1000) has finally been launched.[/URL]

A beautiful ship in my opinion. Carries a few next-gen technologies... like the Advanced Gun System (range of 83 nautical miles) and is also electrically propelled.
Last edited by MAGI_01 on Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:16 pm

How the hell is that a destroyer? It looks HUGE.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:30 pm

View Original PostMAGI_01 wrote:[URL=http://defensetech.org/2013/10/30/first-zumwalt-class-destroyer-launched/?ESRC=deftech.sm]The U.S.S. Zumwalt (DDG 1000) has finally been launched.[/URL]

A beautiful ship in my opinion. Carries a few next-gen technologies... like the Advanced Gun System (range of 83 nautical miles) and is also electrically propelled.

http://slashdot.org/story/13/10/18/1752246/uss-zumwalt-a-guided-missile-destroyer-running-on-linux
Linus must be hella proud.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Well, I am just shocked I say, SHOCKED, at these revelations about what the NSA has been doing behind our backs. Who would have thought that an organization notorious for legal exemption and extreme secrecy would be doing things that are unethical!? Next you'll be telling me the Soviets had secret police.

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:36 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:How the hell is that a destroyer? It looks HUGE.

Actually, it looks about the right size to me.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:07 pm

While technically classified as a destroyer, the type is only 10.3 feet (3.1 meters) shorter than the WWII-era Deutschland-class "pocket battleships", and actually displaces nearly 4000 more tons than a standard-loaded Deutschland. Zumwalt-class destroyers are also both longer and heavier than the Ticonderoga-class cruiser.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:12 pm

Distinctly 19th-century hull design, questionable maturity of technologies. The Zumwalt is probably going to be a Navy F-35 equivalent, but what the hell.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby MAGI_01 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:52 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:http://slashdot.org/story/13/10/18/1752246/uss-zumwalt-a-guided-missile-destroyer-running-on-linux
Linus must be hella proud.

Yeah. I was pretty impressed that they went that route with it.

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Distinctly 19th-century hull design, questionable maturity of technologies. The Zumwalt is probably going to be a Navy F-35 equivalent, but what the hell.

Yeah, it's spec's are pretty impressive, but specs are nothing if the technology does not perform like it was promised. Only time will tell once it's commissioned and see's some time out at sea as if that is going to be the case here or not.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:37 am

bye bye net neutrality?

Also, regarding the Destroyer:

Business Insider wrote:Get ready for this: the skipper of the newest, most futuristic ship the U.S. Navy has ever built is none other than Capt. James Kirk.
Let that settle in for a second.

Almost a full 50 years from the birth of the fictional Capt. James T. Kirk in 1966, the real Capt. James A. Kirk (no relation) is taking the helm of the USS Zumwalt, reports Dylan Stableford of Yahoo News.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:21 pm

Even if net neutrality goes away and companies like Comcast start blocking or limiting things, doesn't that just create an opportunity for someone else (Google?) to create their own ISP service and take their customer base right out from under them?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:11 pm

I doubt Google would do that.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:29 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:I doubt Google would do that.

Uhh... have you been living under a rock for the last 10 years? https://fiber.google.com/about/

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:39 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Uhh... have you been living under a rock for the last 10 years? https://fiber.google.com/about/

More like three, considering that Google Fiber was announced in 2010. But, it is important to consider the following:

Regarding Future Expansion of Google Fiber wrote:Time Magazine on September 14, 2012, said that rather than wanting to actually operate as an internet service provider, the company was just hoping to shame the major cable operators into improving their service so that Google searches could be done faster.[39]

With further reading, it suggests that, at most, only 8,000,000 american homes would have access to this, based on how Google has not hinted at changing it's business platform.

So yes, I have been living under a rock. But this rock I have knows a lot about google, as well as access to more information about it. And using these resources, I have come to a conclusion that it is sufficiently unlikely that Google will not attempt to compete with larger ISPs.

have atsu, Ornette.
The Moats of Quotes

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Rumor's been around for at least a decade before they officially announced, especially since they've publicly been buying the infrastructure up all over the place, and no, they won't plan on competing if they don't have to, obviously. But the estimates for the amount of "toll" that they'd need to pay, to every service provider, is so absurd that it's cheaper for them to compete. Just do a search for "google fiber net neutrality" for starters.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:20 pm

Supposing that they do attempt to compete, they wouldn't be able to do it with in the next five years. So far, it is too small in order to be able to cover as many consumers as larger ISPs would.

To add, it is worthy of consideration of the complaints made against google fiber for banning the use of servers in the past. Yes, they have changed their TOS in order to reflect better of their stance on net neutrality, but them changing it would not be surprising in wake of the newly achieved dominance they may (or may not) have over the market. We have seen this before, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it again.
The Moats of Quotes

nervshatter
Banned

Postby nervshatter » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:15 am

Portland, Maine, legalizes weed for recreational use.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/05/portland-maine-marijuana_n_4221919.html
*sigh* just kill me already.

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:48 am

View Original Postnervshatter wrote:Portland, Maine, legalizes weed for recreational use.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/05/portland-maine-marijuana_n_4221919.html

baby steps; hopefully this will lead to bigger change

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:14 am

FDA taking steps to ban trans fats from US foods

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/07/health/fda-trans-fats/index.html?hpt=hp_t2[/url]

The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday took a step toward
potentially eliminating trans fats from the food supply with a preliminary determination they are no longer "generally recognized as safe."

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”