[News] 2013 News (NO POLITICS)

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby arkiel » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Shit's been going on for a while.
http://io9.com/5652553/when-architecture-attacks-the-las-vegas-death-ray

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:48 pm

View Original Postarkiel wrote:Shit's been going on for a while.
http://io9.com/5652553/when-architecture-attacks-the-las-vegas-death-ray

Now, I can understand putting buildings like this in places like London, where sunshine is a spotty proposition, but in Vegas, that kind of shit is inexcusable.

I thought one of the BIG rules of architecture was knowing where the structure was going to be built and to design accordingly.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:57 pm

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:Now, I can understand putting buildings like this in places like London, where sunshine is a spotty proposition, but in Vegas, that kind of shit is inexcusable.

I thought one of the BIG rules of architecture was knowing where the structure was going to be built and to design accordingly.

Also, basic physics. You know, so your building won't collapse under its own weight, will put up with the weather, WON'T BE A FUCKING DEATH RAY . . . all the usual stuff. What gets me is the fact that people keep on doing it! You'd think after the first time the architects out there would get the message and go "okay, mirrored surface built as a parabolic mirror = bad, got it." But nooooooooo . . . :rolleyes:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:08 pm

If I was an architect, all of my buildings would be death rays.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:14 pm

What does all this show? Archimedes 1, Mythbusters 0.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archimedes#Heat_ray
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:16 am

"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:41 am

Well, that was quick.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Tribblepoo » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:31 am

Pronounced dead in the hospital...

So I take it Ohio is one of the states that requires a doctor to pronounce death then.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:11 am

View Original PostTribblepoo wrote:I thought one of the BIG rules of architecture was knowing where the structure was going to be built and to design accordingly.
There are stories of libraries being built, but not spec'd to actually take the weight of stacks of books, like the architects hadn't bothered to read the title of the commission, so this sort of second order effect is going to get overlooked over and over again.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:38 am

EDIT: finally stopped being a mouth-breather and remembered how to post correctly. ^_^;

not unexpected, but completely unacceptable

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:33 pm

"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Japan's eery glow. BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:39 am

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:EDIT: finally stopped being a mouth-breather and remembered how to post correctly. ^_^;

not unexpected, but completely unacceptable

Not sure why the levels are rising, but most, if not all of that radiation is harmless.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

UrsusArctos

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:06 am

Not harmless - it just drops off rapidly at a distance. Up close and unshielded, beta radiation is just as dangerous as gamma radiation. And it's pretty ominous that radiation of any sort should be shooting up all over again.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Japan's eery glow. BP

Postby arkiel » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:06 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Not sure why the levels are rising, but most, if not all of that radiation is harmless.

I am certain the Japanese public, well-known for their predictable and rational behavior, will except this with a calm, almost medicated equanimity.

Or they'll throw jars of urine at TEPCO spokesmen and make Godzilla vs. The Great Fukashima Beast the highest-grossing movie of all time (for Japan).

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:54 am

[url]http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/news/region_tampa/usf/usf-students-alerted-to-unsafe-situation-north-of-campus[/url]

Some sociopath thought it well to have some fun going up and down 42nd street, near my apartment. Thankfully, I don't think they got into my complex, but it's pretty fucking terrifying.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:00 am

any bets this will somehow turn into another 'bath salts' story?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

Postby KnightmareX13 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:53 pm

and in case you missed this launch there will be a launch on the 17th bound for the ISS with the new Cygnus capsule

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Slow burn. Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:58 am

Thing is going to take month to get to the moon, for comparison, the Apollo missions only averaged three days. Its going to take this long because its orbiting the earth 3 times first, I'm guessing in order to build up momentum and so as to keep the project cheap fuel-wise. For an 800 pound trans-lunar payload, something that comes in under $300 million is a godsend.

Still, would have been neat if they had also taken this opportunity to test another Ion engine, given that speed wasn't a priority. [/u]
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:51 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:any bets this will somehow turn into another 'bath salts' story?

They only use bath salts to cover up the living dead.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:28 pm

Tokyo gets to host the 2020 Summer Olympics.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”