The Olympics

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:14 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:You know, I was refering to USA and China. They both have tons in population.

True, but I was remarking that for having more than 700 million more people than the US they aren't completely dominant. Though, frankly I'm surprised North Korea is as high in the medal count, but I guess not dying is significant motivation.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:19 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote: I'm surprised North Korea is as high in the medal count, but I guess not dying is significant motivation.

Oh, come on, they´re not that bad, right? RIGHT?
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:21 pm

View Original PostJustacrazyguy wrote:Well, it helps that they have hundreds of millions in population.(More people, more chance of having better athletes and such)

Not to mention more money and infrastructure for training programs. I mean, it's not everything, but it helps to have training facilities, which many countries have little funding for. I mean, if it was simply a matter of population, then India should be up near the top of the medal standings as well.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:26 pm

View Original PostCorporalChaos wrote:Not to mention more money and infrastructure for training programs.

True, thank you for reminding me of that fact.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:55 pm

Anyway, I was fortunate enough to catch the men's foil semifinals and finals this morning. The bronze medal match was down to the wire. Choi (South Korea) jumped out to a pretty big lead early on, but Baldini (Italy) closed it up to 14-14 at the end of the second round. The winning point was a pretty close call as it was.

The gold medal match between Lei (China) and Abouelkassem (Egypt) also started out as a blowout in favor of Lei, but Abouelkassem was able to pull back to 13-13 before Lei got a couple of clear hits in.

Congrats to Abouelkassem, who is the first fencing medalist from Egypt.

Caught the tail end of the swimming finals on live streams earlier today, but I'll probably end up watching that in primetime in a few hours.

Tomorrow's going to be the last day I can catch any of the games, since I'll be out working in a wilderness area until the 12th. I'm enjoying the Games so far, and I'll hate to miss the rest of them.

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby CX1329 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:02 pm

View Original PostNa7e wrote:True, but I was remarking that for having more than 700 million more people than the US they aren't completely dominant. Though, frankly I'm surprised North Korea is as high in the medal count, but I guess not dying is significant motivation.

I always feel a bit nervous when I see a North Korean athlete competing. I mean, what happens if he or she has a bad day?

On an unrelated note, I'm glad the Brazilian men's basketball team has been playing some decent basketball. Two wins in two games, not bad. If they focus on reducing the number of turnovers, they might actually go impressively far.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:38 am

So tumblrs are saying that the swimming lessons from Light paid off after all
Voluntary Illusion.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:46 am

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Image

So tumblrs are saying that the swimming lessons from Light paid off after all

I think he snagged the bronze back in Beijing, too. I recall similar jokes being made during the last Olympic cycle.

EDIT: I derped, sorry.
Last edited by CorporalChaos on Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:47 am

One of the many, many reasons to stay away from Tumblr.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:50 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:One of the many, many reasons to stay away from Tumblr.

yes i do not intend to go back to those places ever
Voluntary Illusion.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:45 am

^
:rofl:

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:05 pm

Losing on purpose doesn't work out too well when everyone knows you are doing it.

I find it funny though how handball and water polo are considered global sports, yet are primarily played by only Europeans yet baseball and softball were thrown out because it is only played by Asian, Oceanic, Australian, North American and South American countries.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:40 pm

View Original PostHunter21 wrote:Losing on purpose doesn't work out too well when everyone knows you are doing it.

I find it funny though how handball and water polo are considered global sports, yet are primarily played by only Europeans yet baseball and softball were thrown out because it is only played by Asian, Oceanic, Australian, North American and South American countries.

I honestly think it had more to do with space requirements than anything, though the IOC is primarily European if I recall correctly so that probably had an influencing factor.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:05 pm

Watching the mens all around gymnastics, I feel emasculated. Those guys could probably kick my ass. But, much respect to them, I learned an appreciation of gymnastics.

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby CX1329 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:03 am

View Original PostNa7e wrote:Watching the mens all around gymnastics, I feel emasculated. Those guys could probably kick my ass. But, much respect to them, I learned an appreciation of gymnastics.

Watching the Olympics makes me feel like I'm wasting my entire life. While the athletes are in London winning medals, I'm posting on an Internet forum at 4 AM. :lol:

I'm not sure if I'd want to live like an Olympic athlete, though. They don't do much else apart from practicing, and that makes me respect them even more. There's a ridiculous amount of sacrifice involved, and that's definitely not for mere mortals.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:07 pm

I wonder who will win ping-pong(or table tenis or wathever you call it).

Will it be China or China? Hum...

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:17 pm

How the Olympics are being anti-cycling.

Bonus item: http://hurryupharry.org/2012/08/02/topless-activism-against-the-olympics-and-sharia-law/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:22 pm

View Original PostCX1329 wrote:Watching the Olympics makes me feel like I'm wasting my entire life.

It also makes me feel like I'm wasting my life, but not in the sense that you mean.

SPOILER: Show
It's boring.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

TO THE DEATH! B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:21 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Bonus item: http://hurryupharry.org/2012/08/02/topless-activism-against-the-olympics-and-sharia-law/

I'm still wondering why they haven't kicked out North Korea for making failed athletes and coaches "disappear". Granted, oppression of women is not completely unconnected to the games, but I think death because you lost an event is something the IOC should really be discouraging at this point. At least until they bring back dueling.

It's no wonder they thank their leaders for their victory.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:00 pm

The first item on this list made me all kinds of giggly. I'm sure the other four points are all fine debate topics, too, involving ethical violations and debt, if you think that's more worth talking about than nonstop hard bodied sex.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”