Need some good advice.

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Sandman
Lilith

Need some good advice.

•      
  •      

Postby The Sandman » Tue Dec 20, 2005 3:47 pm

Hello. I just became a moderator at [url]http://animekingdom.hosted-forum.com/.[/url] This is my first time being a moderator so what am I asking for some advice from any of the moderators here. I know being a moderator mean having a big responsibility on your shoulder. So any tips for a first timer?
Exit light/Enter night/Take my hand/We off to Never Neverland

Enter Sandman

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:04 pm

Have a very clear understanding what is expected of you. You need to know what the board owner wants from you. You also need to know what the board's culture is like, and moderate accordingly.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:06 pm

I speak from experiance when I say that a very good idea for april fool's day is to ban everyone and lock all the threads.

Well, I found it funny, anyway.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:50 am

I have never been an official moderator, but as a member who fought tooth to nail to be a moderator at a now defunct web forum and as a member of several boards, many of which have a couple TERRIBLE mods (fyi, EvaMonkey isn't one), I believe my opinion is still valid.

Listen to what Aaron said, but also know this... Understand the rules of the forum. I knew the rules on that defunct forum better than many of the moderators did which was bad, in my opinion. Also, don't forget to have a clear mind and to be able to handle situations accordingly. Getting pissed off when someone says something and immediately locking that thread and banning a member makes you look like a total jack ass... Which isn't always something that you want as a moderator.

The Sandman
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Sandman » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:51 pm

To everyone who posted on this thread thank you for the advice. So far nothing major has happen, but we still need new users so if you are intrested to join in please click the link on the first post of the thread. Once again thanks.

Enter Sandman

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:45 pm

I have no interest in a forum administrated by someone with no understanding of proper forum management. I've seen countless forums try the same structure as this one die a slow horrible death. There is no practical reason to have a sub forum for everything that the forums admin can think of. This forum does not need anime and game specific sub forums unless growth necessitates them.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:28 am

From my experiance of being an admin at a very popular GTA Website for around 3-4 Years I can tell you that you need knowledge of the main subject of the forum, you need to present yourself in a friendly manner and be able to get on well with other members, and you need to be on the forums on a regular basis.

Another point would be what The Eva Monkey has just pointed out, the amount of sub forums on that board is a bit over the top, try merging a few un needed sub forums into one, such as all the gaming ones into a Gaming/Tech Board.

The Sandman
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Sandman » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:49 pm

I would if I created the darn thing. Your asking the wrong guy.

Enter Sandman

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby poetic_assassin » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:01 pm

Be cool. Nobody likes to be pushed around.

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 9:43 pm

I was a Super Moderator at a forum a while back but the forum only had about 20 members. From my experience you have to be even handed and fair. You have to try and make balanced choices for the good of the members and as well as the board.
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”