Computer Stupidities

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Re: Computer Stupidities

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:27 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:It's been a few days Ryzen came out and most people dissed on it just because it's a few figures short of Intel's i7-7700K.

The problem is the hype surrounding it led people blow it out of proportion and make it seem like it's a bleeding edge performance chip. My brother is notorious for this as the weeks leading up to Ryzen he was spouting put nonsense how it'll blow the 7700k out of the water (the darn thing loses to even a 6800k on certain benchmarks). He did the same with their 400 series video cards last year, then went silent when it couldn't stand up to a 1080. AMD has and always will be a price performance company, Intel/Nvidia will always be the top dog.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:18 pm

Too easy to say they're on top because they're also on recommendations by any Tom, Dick and Harry for years, even though some people will have to fork over more money for the GPU just to show they have more balls. Sometimes I had to laugh at those who are judging anything on the basis of how much framerates they'll produce. Honestly, I play games that have real replay value.

PG 134
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PG 134 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:25 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I put a new 404 on one of my sites:

tetrahedral.audio/nofile

I was walking to the office through the park at work today and I found myself humming to this tune. It took me several minutes before I finally remembered where it was from. Oddly enough, there was nothing wrong so I dunno why it popped into my head.

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:23 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:The problem is the hype surrounding it led people blow it out of proportion and make it seem like it's a bleeding edge performance chip. My brother is notorious for this as the weeks leading up to Ryzen he was spouting put nonsense how it'll blow the 7700k out of the water (the darn thing loses to even a 6800k on certain benchmarks). He did the same with their 400 series video cards last year, then went silent when it couldn't stand up to a 1080. AMD has and always will be a price performance company, Intel/Nvidia will always be the top dog.

A lot of people fail to understand that Ryzen was positioned to compete with Broadwell E and Haswell E and it does that very well. Broadwell E and Haswell E are not the best gaming chips out there as my 4690k will outrun a buddy of mines 5820k due to a pure clock speed advantage while gaming. Neither of us have overclocked machines either. Of course we have to wait and see what the lower core count chips will do, but at this point the R7 line up provides a great alternative to the X99 platform which is great news to me as I was looking at building an X99 machine sometime in the future.

AMD needs to hammer away at Intel's bottom line to force them to lower prices which, they have already announced. Intel may be still the holder of the crown but they have become fat and lazy again, much like the P4 era when the A64 came out and destroyed it in every way possible. The only reason why AMD did not capture more market than they should have was due to Intel strong arming OEMs to exclusively use Intel.

Ryzen marks a return to competitiveness which the industry seriously needs. Now Vega just needs to be a 1080Ti competitor and AMD will be very well poised. I was a huge AMD supporter for years until recently when the FX line did literally nothing for me, so for the first time ever I have an Intel machine. As long as Ryzen and it's successors continue to gain ground and be a strong competitor, I will jump back to AMD in the future.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:45 am

It just made better sense to wait and see rather than blindly throw money at something which may make things worse. If I was lucky to buy an RX470 after several years with an HD7750, unimpressed with the R7s and R9s, I also thought it wise enough that I held onto the Athlon II since 2012 (briefly I tried an APU and got terrible stuttering; later been considering about switching over to Intel) and wait until something like the Ryzen coming out to turn things around.

---------------------
Going back to topic, what turned out to be a neat solution to a PC that doesn't start is to simply clean, swap and reseat the memory modules.

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:22 pm

Yeah. My best friend had his laptop die on him and I gave him my old Phenom II build and it's done him quite well and now he is looking at a Ryzen build. Sure it was and is quite dated by today's standards, but it still runs very well and does everything he needs it to do.

_______

That is good to hear. That is one of my first go to's now days when a machine is giving start up issues. That and power supplies because I have seen enough power supplies at work be very slow to start which is probably due to a bad capacitor. Our Arcade cabinets that are just PC's in fancy cabinets are set to boot when power is supplied so if we notice a very long delay until one starts, or some other odd issue, it's usually a safe bet the PS is going bad and I have yet to see where that is not the case.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:18 pm

Oh, wow. Hella way to sell an operating system that not everyone likes. I don't like Win10 because it gimps VRAM for older games to 4gb, asides from privacy concerns and forced updates.

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... -new-chips

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:53 am

Yeah, W10 is a fucking dumpster fire, also Cortana mysteriously reinstalled herself after decrapping my W10 using a script I found on github. Also seems to have problems with Wi-Fi but that's not a Windows exclusive issue.

One of the scary extras is that telemetry actually learns your typing patterns (unless youre some kind of 10key system crazy person) so they could theoretically see which university/work computers youve been using when and for what.

I bought a W10 OEM key in anticipation for Witcher 3 and I regret every second.

I really hope Vulkan replaces DX completely in the future so Windows (at least in its current form) is an option, not an absolute must.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:00 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:I bought a W10 OEM key in anticipation for Witcher 3 and I regret every second.

Witcher 3 runs just fine on W7, though?

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:20 pm

View Original PostBobBQ wrote:Witcher 3 runs just fine on W7, though?

Truth is, W7 is far more lenient on games than W10; I can play games old and new. I'm considering about getting a Ryzen to complete my build but Microsoft wants to end W7 support for newer hardware. Duh, fortunately hardware manufacturers still make drivers for older operating systems, WHQL or not.

--------
There's nothing more overwhelming than to suggest a gaming build for a 77-year-old man seeking to play AAA titles -- and MODDED SKYRIM, of all things, at 60FPS in 1080p -- and then be confronted with a fucking mammoth candy shop that's the computer store. It's not simple anymore as buying a video card off the rack and plugging it.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu May 04, 2017 6:57 am

So, I got a new router, and on checking after installation found that for some reason most (not all!) speedtests were showing a download speed of 20Mbps instead of the expected 45Mbps. It turned out that the 20Mbps was only for http when all other protocols were running at 45Mbps. This was not the router, as connecting a laptop directly to the old BT modem proved.

I reported a fault, and although it seemed irrelevant, an OpenReach engineer (three in the end!) came and made checks. Some tests failed, and they replaced my line back to the fibre cabinet. After a small hiccough this is now great - my upload speed has tripled(!) and my download speed has increased just slightly.

However, the http limitation is still the same, and I have no way to determine whose fault this is (my ISP denies that they ever cap like that, which is one reason why I am with them).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri May 05, 2017 1:53 pm

Whee! Fortunately there was actually a fault on my line which got fixed and has improved it hugely - otherwise I'd be looking at a big bill for the investigation!

This morning the fault I originally reported was still present, and so had to be in my network. However, careful investigation and detective work determined that my central switch (Netgear GS108v3) was of a version and firmware level that had a fault which caused rate limiting even when supposedly disabled - a firmware upgrade later, everything is hunky-dory, and feels a whole lot more spritely as a result.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri May 12, 2017 10:15 pm

https://www.haveibeencompromised.com/pa ... nacry.html

Now I have to patch. The worst to be hit are hospitals. :um: Fucking coin-grubbers.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 13, 2017 2:09 am

Fortunately, next to nobody was using Vista, as that too is out of extended support (as of 4 weeks ago, now) just like XP. At least it's been a few years since I've seen any NT4 or Win95 in use in an institutional setting. Problem is, it's not only hospitals -- banks are just as bad, running old OS versions way past their use-by date. I can only hope that they are a little more likely to run things on isolated networks.

The trouble with big organizations has always been the software they run on top of the OS. Way too many of the programs I've seen in medical or financial settings look like they were ported from Windows 3.1; and when I've interviewed people with what on paper has looked like an impressive CV involving senior positions in public IT projects, they have always ended up as "no hire"s out of the technical stages of the interview. Steve Bellovin weighs in on this subject, too.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat May 13, 2017 4:36 am

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/s ... decrypt0r/

Patches for older Windows have been released, but due to heavy traffic, it's hard to get those patches.

Yes, most of the big organizations are lagging behind in hardening their systems, but then there are also small companies that can't afford to update. In addition, social engineering is involved that an unaware user could trigger the lockdown by bad email or drive-by ads.
Last edited by soul.assassin on Sat May 13, 2017 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat May 13, 2017 4:38 am

This should be a big wake-up call to every manager or administrator who has refused to fund upgrades of computers that are required on security grounds. But you know who the fall guys will be...

I face-palmed on seeing a headline of Mrs May "reassuring" us that this was not just an attack on the NHS, because it was happening everywhere else as well!

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat May 13, 2017 4:47 am

The bulk of infections are in Russia, but then it's spilling out to other places. Critical services are hard-hit.

I'm very careful for a very long time, but with this, it's time for me to buckle down and update. Crafty greedy bastards, I'm sure they're swimming in funny money right now, sons of bitches thinking of villas, sports cars, high-class call girls, the works.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat May 13, 2017 5:43 am

Quite aside from the issue of patching, this is not the first ransomware to hit the scene (CryptoLocker was the first to become widely known, four years ago). Anyone professional responsible for backup whose regime doesn't take account of this possibility has been negligent.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat May 13, 2017 9:29 pm

Just a heads-up: patches for XP, Vista and 8 are out now.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/05/13/mic ... nhs-patch/

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed May 17, 2017 3:10 pm

And there's another virus using the same vulnerabilities to mine blockchain cryptocurrency.

Thank you, NSA.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”