[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [2]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:50 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:There is a Los Angeles hip hop collective called "Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All." It includes some names such as Earl Sweatshirt, Mike G, Domo Genesis, Left Brain, Hodgy Beats, Frank Ocean, and Tyler, the Creator, among like 9000 other people. I like to add random words/letters to their name/acronym because it's kind of a silly name/acronym. I mean, how on earth do you pronounce "OFWGKTA?"

Ahhhhh. Gotcha. The west coast is always doing something interesting :|
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:22 am

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

MassiveInvader
Adam

Postby MassiveInvader » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:37 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:There is a Los Angeles hip hop collective called "Odd Future Wolf Gang Kill Them All." It includes some names such as Earl Sweatshirt, Mike G, Domo Genesis, Left Brain, Hodgy Beats, Frank Ocean, and Tyler, the Creator, among like 9000 other people. I like to add random words/letters to their name/acronym because it's kind of a silly name/acronym. I mean, how on earth do you pronounce "OFWGKTA?"
Tyler, the Creator sucks now, all he raps about now is money, But I recently discovered Flying Lotus/Captain Murphy and some Vocaloid music. I like Vocaloid's upbeat stuff, but I don't like their Horror/scary stuff.
I will respect your opinion if you respect mine.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:27 pm

Paysage d'Hiver - Das Tor, or, How Many Times Can Tobias Möckl Release An Album With Faintly Amateurish Folk-Art Of Snow And Trees On Its Cover Before Somebody Tells Him To Knock It The Fuck Off?

A lot, because this album kicks ass. It's probably his best work ever: even Die Festung was nothing Tangerine Dream circa Phaedra couldn't have done, and too much of his other work is bland and overlong. This album is also kind of overlong - 80 minutes on the nose actually - but bland is NOT how I would describe it. in fact I am kind of struggling to describe it in a more general sense: as always with Möckl the milieu in which we are working is long-winded, ambitious, and (though it semi-ironically pains me to use the term) atmospheric black metal. But the reason why Paysage d'Hiver is interesting in a broader sense is because it's always been about synthesizing the fuzzed-out metallic and synth/ambient influences from Burzum etc. into a common music (hell, this album's thematically indistinguishable from Hvis lyset tar oss anyway): but here more than ever, drone and ambient influences boss the composition even as the tone remains firmly in screeching vocals and yowling distorted guitars. It's strongly reminiscent of some of the weirder work of American atmospheric black metal acts (Fell Voices come to mind) which makes this a pretty cool ouroboros of scene history, since Paysage d'Hiver's late-90s rise to subcultural prominence (together to some extent with the roughly contemporaneous rise of Summoning, and definitely together with early Blut Aus Nord and Ulver before they got all shite and all artsy respectively): I repeat, it is very like an ouroboros since Paysage d'Hiver's late-90s rise to subcultural prominence was part of what spurred on the beginnings of the modern wave of Murrican black metalists with Xasthur and Leviathan. And the rest is history (or maybe "history" would be a better way of saying it, since nobody actually cares).

After all that it's a little disappointing to me that I still don't really have a whole lot to say about the album specifically other than that it's good. It is good, and good in a way that lends itself easily to favorable comparison: I had to hold myself back from irrelevantly decrying Branikald, Velvet Cacoon, and Urfaust by analogy - all three of whom (which? seems ungrammatical either way) I enjoy listening to. I could apply any number of adjectives to this album too: you bet my ass I excised at least three occurrences of the word "psychedelic" from this review before I posted it. Anyway I dance around saying anything of descriptive value here not primarily so that I can showcase my erudition in the field of study that is historical development of lo-fi nerd music (although I also have lots of fun doing that) but more because the music itself is remarkably overwhelming stuff. I mean, each side opens and closes with the obligatory minute or two of moaning winter winds and footsteps through snow but in between those two you're in for half an hour of pretty elaborate black metal at a time and most of that time is not spent riffing but being loud and, well, atmospheric. Does it work? It does, well. It's one of the better black metal albums I have heard in recent years: mächtiger, as he puts it, als ich jemals gedacht. And if you like black metal you should listen to it yesterday.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:51 pm

So I guess "Day 'N' Nite" by Kid Cudi is essentially my theme song now. I think I've probably listened to it over 30 times in the past two days. It's just one of those low key songs that's interesting enough to not be boring, but simple enough to not get easily sick of. Even songs I'm enthusiastic about I'd probably not want to hear if I heard them that many times in such a short time span.

It really feels a lot like life, though. It comforts me. It gets me.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:36 am

Just saw this tweet from John MacLaughlin

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:50 am

Love this woman. She's right up there with Grace Slick

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/imagescaywvhjt.jpg/]Image[/URL]
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:49 am

so good, still

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:27 pm

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:42 pm

new Boris is GOOD, listen to it.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:21 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9bnoh2Yt2E

Marty Friedman from Megadeth covering AKB48

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:45 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Image

so good, still

this

also
this record kicks an astounding amount of ass

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:06 am

Azathoth that album cover is cool stuff
but I cannot read the band name text
Voluntary Illusion.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:36 am

Currently:

SPOILER: Show
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:43 am

ImageImageImage

I've been hopelessly addicted to Dj Okawari lately.
It's just so unlike anything I've ever listened to before but feels yet so familiar.
I wanted to order Mirror, his second album on CD-Japan, but it's out of print and dealers on Amazon wants +90 euro for it fuck

And my favorite british musician came out with a new album recently, so hype
Gonna check it out later, have you guys already listened to it?

edit:Yeah, it's just a cover album.
Solid nonetheless
Last edited by InstrumentalityOne on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:57 am

Oh shit, new Drones too!
http://youtu.be/dGEgvTXo8oI

Australian EGF'ers, GET ON IT.
Warren Peace, #643919

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:50 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Oh shit, new Drones too!

AAAUUHHH SHIT YEAH. Love The Drones ever since I saw them at Groove 'n' the Moo a few years ago.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:12 am

That track just drips evil - Chorus gave me goosebumps the other day when it played on Triple J, and the way it just keeps building up.
Warren Peace, #643919

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Postby moonwolf2024 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:56 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:
ImageImageImage

I've been hopelessly addicted to Dj Okawari lately.
It's just so unlike anything I've ever listened to before but feels yet so familiar.
I wanted to order Mirror, his second album on CD-Japan, but it's out of print and dealers on Amazon wants +90 euro for it fuck

I'm glad you posted this. I saw the album cover in another thread and wanted to ask who it was. Love that cover. Youtubing their music as we speak ;)

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby MAGI_01 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:03 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:
And my favorite british musician came out with a new album recently, so hype
Gonna check it out later, have you guys already listened to it?

edit:Yeah, it's just a cover album.
Solid nonetheless

Clapton is one of my influences... definitely will be checking this out. Probably will buy this new album on vinyl since I am getting a turntable.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”