[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [2]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby SaltyJoe » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:11 pm

My alternative for "Presidents of the USA" would be Dead Kennedys. The bottom one is JFK, while the top one looks like Robert F. Kennedy...kinda. Sorta. Can't really make it out.

Anyway, here are some findings i did not see mentioned:
SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://imgur.com/rvQDM]Image[/URL]

From right to left:
1. Talking Heads
2. U2 (two "u"-s)
3. D-12
4. Deep Purple
5. Garbage
6. Whitesnake
7. Madonna

EDIT:
Huh, Garbage was mentioned.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:17 pm

Nice job with 2. but man, you gotta be kidding me with 4. :lol:

Not saying it isn't correct (it most likely is) but that's just nasty. I kept thinking of bands with names that has something to do with buildings..... sigh

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:12 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:
Bee Gees just the BGG written on wall or am I missing something really obvious?

Yes that it is, and the lower case u's are for U2.

@SaltyJoe  SPOILER: Show
Nice finds!
Though note that we already had U2 and Garbage.

View Original PostXard wrote:[Radiohead] are the best hangover band in the world, period. Stuff like Nude, Morning Bell/Amnesiac and You and Whose Army? are pretty much perfect for that purpose. I guess I'm now reassessing Amnesiac bit more positively than before.

Amnesiac as been my go-to Radiohead album for the last two years. It's ducking good.
Voluntary Illusion.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:11 am

Amnesiac is an absolute 'grower' - It seems to get better the more you're acquainted with it. Speaking of "go to" Radiohead albums, I still haven't gotten over In Rainbows. I dig the shit out of The King Of Limbs though...
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:53 am

NIN is the pile of nails next to the Matchbox 20.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:55 am

After the whole debacle with "Gee" last year I promised myself that I'd never listen to anymore Girls' Generation songs because the last thing in my life I need is to like another Asian pop group clearly not aimed at my demographic, or really, another Asian anything period. I have an image to tend to, you know.

But dammit... why is "Genie" such a spectacular song?

Actually, that's the only other song of theirs that really stands out besides "Gee." A decent amount of the rest I listened to is solid pop music and would make good filler tracks in an album with a few stronger songs to anchor it. Some of it is straight up awful like "The Boys," though. Seriously. Stop rapping, girls. It's not your thing. If you're not embarrassed, I'm embarrassed for you.

So yeah, my final verdict is that Girls' Generation are a listenable pop group with a few standout tracks, but overall they're not on the level of Perfume or Lady Gaga. Essentially, they're nine Korean Rihannas.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to wash my ears out with some Lykke Li and get some of my damn hipster cred back.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:26 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:Now if you'll excuse me, I have to wash my ears out with some Lykke Li and get some of my damn hipster cred back.

It's alright. There's no need to think of GG as a guilty pleasure. Your analysis of GG makes you more hip than anyone listening to artists with hipster cred.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:57 am

That's true. My whole attitude lately is "it's okay to like pop music, so long as it's not Owl City." Because seriously, fuck Owl City. Fuck his flaccid synthesizers, emasculated voice, and irritating enunciation. I hope someday one of his fans gets on my case for my unabashed love for girl pop like Perfume, because Owl City's music is so prissy that it makes Perfume sound like Black Sabbath in comparison.

As far as Girls' Generation go, I also get kind of sick of the chauvinism of K-pop fans who swear up and down that K-pop is superior to all other pop music.

But back to the hipster music thing: Lykke Li is really awesome, though. Wounded Rhymes is my favorite album from 2011.
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:38 am

Not sure if there are many fans of Devin Townsend here, but he just came out with his new album Epicloud, and I've playing pretty much nonstop since release. Some of my favorite songs of the album include: Kingdom, Grace, and Angel. This dude has quickly become among my favorite musicians, and there's always something to fit the mood.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:29 pm

I kept looking at that CD last time I visited record store but I didn't dare to buy it given I hadn't read anything about it or listened to single song. I'm sure it's all Devin but I'm not biggest fan of all Strapping Young Lad stuff either so that alone doesn't suffice for purchase decision.

Platinum Disco is the miracle of the universe and goes along with anything. ANYTHING.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:55 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Not sure if there are many fans of Devin Townsend here, but he just came out with his new album Epicloud, and I've playing pretty much nonstop since release. Some of my favorite songs of the album include: Kingdom, Grace, and Angel. This dude has quickly become among my favorite musicians, and there's always something to fit the mood.
I haven't listened to the whole album yet (I didn't even know it had been released until yesterday), but I haven't been very impressed by the cuts I have listened to. It's fairly bland-sounding compared to his last effort--or, well, Deconstruction, that is. I mean, I know it's supposed to be more mellow and, what, "ethereal" I think he called it, and that's okay, but he doesn't tend to do "ethereal" very well ("Hyperdrive" and "The Greys" not withstanding, I guess, given that they're some of the best cuts I think he's done). The dynamics, bite, and humor present on Deconstruction are where he best excels; this sort of songwriting just comes across as vapid and lackluster in comparison.

From these tracks and the couple others I listened to, Epicloud seems very much like a spiritual copy of Addicted, but with a generally slower tempo all around.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:40 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I kept looking at that CD last time I visited record store but I didn't dare to buy it given I hadn't read anything about it or listened to single song. I'm sure it's all Devin but I'm not biggest fan of all Strapping Young Lad stuff either so that alone doesn't suffice for purchase decision.

Most of Devin's solo career sounds incredibly different from his SYL records; they're much more melodic (for the most part) and personal, heavy still, but not as extreme as SYL.

View Original PostMerridian wrote:I haven't listened to the whole album yet (I didn't even know it had been released until yesterday), but I haven't been very impressed by the cuts I have listened to. It's fairly bland-sounding compared to his last effort--or, well, Deconstruction, that is. I mean, I know it's supposed to be more mellow and, what, "ethereal" I think he called it, and that's okay, but he doesn't tend to do "ethereal" very well ("Hyperdrive" and "The Greys" not withstanding, I guess, given that they're some of the best cuts I think he's done). The dynamics, bite, and humor present on Deconstruction are where he best excels; this sort of songwriting just comes across as vapid and lackluster in comparison.

From these tracks and the couple others I listened to, Epicloud seems very much like a spiritual copy of Addicted, but with a generally slower tempo all around.

I get what you're saying, and to some extent agree. However, Epicloud's sound is very much suited to the emotions of the entire album, which I can best describe as an epic and loud (go figure), yet passive and soothing, and it's very easy to get lost with the flow of the music. I would describe Addicted! as more of a poppy metal album that's easy to dance to, whereas with Epicloud is more of a vocal experience that you absorb. It has the occasional upbeat metal tracks, a couple of which I find generic but enjoyable as hell nonetheless. I particularly love the new rendition of Kingdom and find it vastly superior to it's Physicist counterpart.

What I want to hear more news about is his Casualties of Cool project that he wanted to release around the same time of Epicloud. The only description we've got is that it has the same guest vocalist as in Ki, and it's sounds like a mellow and isolated (much like Ki), yet darker and sort of like a "haunted Jonny Cash" record.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:36 am

Holy shit, I think I found the proper instrumental tracks for fic writing, especially when reinterpreting the End of Eva in prose -- Two Steps from Hell.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:46 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Them bands. Name 'em!

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Seal.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:13 pm

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:51 pm

^
The only SNSD song I like is Gee, the rest kinda sounds like samey shit.
:shrug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQmcqTXsPR4&feature=relmfu
Also, Alstroemeria Records never gets old.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:56 pm

"Gee" and "Genie" are the only songs that stand out as being quasi-unique to me. I'd agree that the rest of it is kind of samey, but some of it is pretty good samey. Knahmean?

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:03 pm

I listened to Genie earlier after reading your blog post and it was
okay.

Not unlistenable, but I still get the feeling that I'd still rather listen to something else like Gee or Roly Poly when I am watching the video.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:12 pm

I dunno. There's some sort of quality to the song that I can't put a word to. Something about the ambiance on the synths and the harmonies in the vocals makes it sound just kind of "majestic" and "grand" to me. That's the closest I can come. It makes me think of floating in midair at night through the downtown of a big city with lots of brightly colored lights coming from the buildings and a sense of excitement in the air, and something totally awesome is about to happen.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:14 pm

Stop describing Perfume with SNSD songs lol

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”