[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [2]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sun May 29, 2011 10:04 pm

Once you've begun the path toward Meiko Kaji fandom, there is no turning back.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Sun May 29, 2011 10:27 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:
View Original Postesselfortium wrote::asuka_miffed:

A-anyway, you can listen to a stream of the entire album for free online here. There's also a bunch more info there.

Well fuck you essel, this is actually...good :shinji_boohoo:

Tell me more :3

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon May 30, 2011 12:06 am

View Original Postplanet news wrote:Listened to a few of the Perfume songs Oz was raving about (and obsessively collecting). Then listened to a few more. Then more and more and more.

Man, he wasn't kidding. It's insanely enjoyable stuff in every way. The girls are incredibly beautiful, their dance routines are fascinating, the videos are extremely well done and delightful, and the songs themselves just make you happy over nothing. There's pop for you, I guess.

I want to watch that Tokyo Dome thing now though. :smirk:

See? Perfume is ridiculously addictive and lovable. For a "quick" introduction to the history behind the girl group, watch this 3-part video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDBWdL9qrBM
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon May 30, 2011 2:45 am

Shifting the conversation a little bit, I'd like to share that I've recently gotten into Progressive Metal composer, Arjen Anthony Lucassen. So far I've only gone through the discographies of Ayreon (his more popular project: a metal opera telling an expansive sci-fi story) and Star One (a fun Prog Metal project with songs based on classic sci-fi stories, such as 2001, Planet of the Apes, 1984, Escape From New York, etc). I'm really excited that I stumbled upon this artist, and I hope to check out more of his projects soon, particularly Guilt Machine and Stream of Passion.

Has anybody else heard of this guy, and, if so, what would you recommend a metal-head, prog-blaster like myself check out first?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon May 30, 2011 3:51 am

Since we're talking about Perfume, I'll review what will be the last Perfume single I can review in a while: Love the World. Released at the peak of Perfumemania in 2008 (right after the GIGANTIC success of the Game album), Love the World remains the best selling single release to this day - unless Laser Beam / Kasuka na Kaori keeps its current pace and surpasses it at some point.

The single's success only makes sense in this way since the A-side track represents Perfume at its most boring after Polyrhythm (and all the way up to today it's still that). Nakata's touch is quite lazy and not particularly memorable. The hilarious Engrish lyrics in the chorus almost harm the song (although BE IN A GOOD MOOD YEH somehow works). Even the PV for the song doesn't provide any redemption - it's awfully gimmicky by Perfume's standards and it's pretty much the only PV I never return to. Thanks to the success, Love the World has remained one of the most central numbers in Perfume's live setlists and it's a shame since it keeps other more worthy songs away.

However, Love the World is not completely without its triumphs. The B-side track, edge, has become quite legendary over time. The normal version and extended mix released on the single are both quite interesting - although the song's triangle mix found on the Triangle album is superior to both of them. It's more techno and less pop, a bit more like Nakata's capsule songs. The heavy sound is mindbending and very addictive and the girls' vocals are used well as "instruments" (edge has the most non-sensical lyrics ever used in a Perfume song).

In overall, I would most likely rank Love the World single as the worst release between years 2006 and 2011: the A-side doesn't stand out and the B-side was later re-released in a lot more superior form.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Mon May 30, 2011 7:53 am

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Mon May 30, 2011 8:35 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Has anybody else heard of this guy, and, if so, what would you recommend a metal-head, prog-blaster like myself check out first?

lol oh man Arjen

If you've heard all of Ayreon and Star One then you have in my opinion pretty much gotten the best of it (really you don't need much more than the Universal Migrator albums to get the very best). Ambeon is very chill but musically blah and neither very metal nor very prog. Stream of Passion does nothing for me, kind of generic progmetal sound without much of the usual kookiness of Ayreon, and Guilt Machine tries too hard to be DARK and SERIOUS and deprives you of Arjen's dangerously cheesy lyrics for the sake of being DARK and SERIOUS. Sticking with his main project is the best way to go, really
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Mon May 30, 2011 8:44 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu_9Wr-ORdI

boku no kokoro o anata wa ubaisatta
ore wa kuudou dekai kuudou
subete nokorazu anata wa ubaisatta
ore wa kuudou omoshiroi
BAKA na kodomo ga fuzakete kakenukeru
ii yo kugurinuketemi na ana no naka
douzo kuudou

nazeka machi ni wa daiji na mono ga nai
sore wa MU-DO amai MU-DO
imi o motomete muimi na mono ga nai
sore wa MU-DO torokesou na
irikunda roji de anata ni deaitai
sore wa MU-DO amai MU-DO
dareka ajimi o shite mi na odoritai
saa douzo MU-DO

boku no kokoro o anata wa ubaisatta
subete nokorazu anata wa ubaisatta
ore wa kuudou omoshiroi
BAKA na kodomo ga fuzakete kakenukeru
ii yo kugurinuketemi na ana no naka
douzo kuudou
kuudou
kuudou
kuudou
kuudou

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Mon May 30, 2011 8:50 am

Oh, if were going to do Japanese music now: Tamashi no Refuran
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon May 30, 2011 9:35 am

@IO: Yes, Yura Yura Teikoku is awesome. I even bought the album in which they originally released that song. Here's more YYT awesomeness.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon May 30, 2011 2:45 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:If you've heard all of Ayreon and Star One then you have in my opinion pretty much gotten the best of it (really you don't need much more than the Universal Migrator albums to get the very best). Ambeon is very chill but musically blah and neither very metal nor very prog. Stream of Passion does nothing for me, kind of generic progmetal sound without much of the usual kookiness of Ayreon, and Guilt Machine tries too hard to be DARK and SERIOUS and deprives you of Arjen's dangerously cheesy lyrics for the sake of being DARK and SERIOUS. Sticking with his main project is the best way to go, really

I don't know. Regarding Ayreon, I think The Human Equation and 01011001 are my favorite albums, though this might change once I get more time to really pick apart the stories (and I may be biased toward the two I just named: HE has James LeBrie and I'm a sucker for Dream Theater; 01 has The Age of Shadows, which was the first song I heard of the Ayreon works). Although, that is a hard comparison with Bruce Dickinson and Russell Allen's appearance on the second Universal Migrator album. Nevermind. I don't know which is my favorite.

What I've read about Ambeon doesn't seem too particularly interesting to me, but I may check it out some point. And I think I could picture myself enjoying Stream of Passion and Guilt Machine; I'm at least going to give them both a listen. Thanks for the heads-up though!

I really enjoy the extreme fantastical nature of the lyrics in Star One and Ayreon. In a way, it's almost as if I'm reading a sci-fiction novel played to metal, and I really dig that. In fact, I've always been attracted to songs about fantasy; Iron Maiden probably hooked me into that. My favorite Dream Theater song (with lyrics) is The Dark Eternal Night, and Systematic Chaos is probably my favorite album, which, of all their albums, probably has the most fantasy themes. I definitely would like to get into more music like this.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Mon May 30, 2011 4:47 pm

My sister has been blaring Linkin Park all day from her room. I think it's affecting me.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon May 30, 2011 4:51 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:My sister has been blaring Linkin Park all day from her room. I think it's affecting me.

Elaborate

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Mon May 30, 2011 5:00 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:I really enjoy the extreme fantastical nature of the lyrics in Star One and Ayreon. In a way, it's almost as if I'm reading a sci-fiction novel played to metal, and I really dig that.

You should possibly try Devin Townsend's Ziltoid the Omniscient for a similar feel. I think Devin did guest vocals for a few songs on 01... as well. The Sword's Warp Riders is also worth a listen although it's more hard rock/heavy metal than prog.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon May 30, 2011 5:06 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:You should possibly try Devin Townsend's Ziltoid the Omniscient for a similar feel. I think Devin did guest vocals for a few songs on 01... as well.

Yeah, I've been meaning to check out some of Devin Townsend's work, so I guess I'll start there.

By the way, he guested in Ayreon's The Human Equation.

The Sword's Warp Riders is also worth a listen although it's more hard rock/heavy metal than prog.

I'm not exclusive to Prog by any means, so I'll definitely give this a check out.
- Sachi

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Mon May 30, 2011 5:33 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Elaborate

I used to hate them and now I'm beginning to like them because I can't get away from the noise.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Mon May 30, 2011 5:57 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I used to hate them and now I'm beginning to like them because I can't get away from the noise.

Woah, I was thinking you wanted to cut your wrists or something and then you reveal that THE TRUTH IS FAR WORSE :cringe:

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Mon May 30, 2011 6:29 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I used to hate them and now I'm beginning to like them because I can't get away from the noise.

Stockholm Syndrome?
- Sachi

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Mon May 30, 2011 7:10 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Stockholm Syndrome?

Stockholm syndrome is a term used to describe a paradoxical psychological phenomenon wherein hostages express empathy and have positive feelings towards their captors.

Comparatively, yes. Technically, no. Pick your poison.
The Moats of Quotes

SenorSquiid
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby SenorSquiid » Mon May 30, 2011 7:27 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Comparatively, yes. Technically, no. Pick your poison.

Seems technically accurate to me. :P
fnord

---
I will never stop trashing Magma Diver.
Ever.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”