FML General Thread

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:02 am

I never skipped in High School, but in college I was allowed to miss three days per class, before getting dropped. Every once in awhile, I'd just stay home. I never made a habit of it. One time, I remember quite clearly, I didn't go to sleep the night before, and I went to my morning class because I had to go, then just went home because I was too sleepy for my noon class. I like to think that I managed my missed days, and played hooky responsibly.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

Postby planet news » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:42 am

Sometimes it's just a wise strategic decision to skip class if attendance is not required. I've pulled at least... 10-15 all-nighters these last two terms, and it really would've been a lot more if I didn't chose to skip some classes beforehand. Also, you're going to have classes---like my African Film class---that have no final, so there's basically no reason to attend class anymore unless you want to see some rare films, rant about neo-colonialism, etc. By the way, I was pretty much never absent for high school. It was a rather big hassle, since there was homework every day and probably at least one quiz/test you had to make up. I think it's much less like this for college. Also, if you missed less than ten days and had all As, you were exempt from all finals but not otherwise.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:20 am

That awkward moment when you realise a pretty girl you never spoke to in your first degree actually liked some of the same shows you did, i.e.; Neon Genesis Evangelion. I wonder if she had seen it at time we were in class together, or after that... oh well.

@PRPD - Ask if there is a way that you can 'catch up' for the school days you've missed. Senior-itis is bad, but if you don't knuckle down you may find yourself having to repeat a year in order to graduate (do you really want to stick around these people for another year?).
Voluntary Illusion.

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby LeoXiao » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:48 am

I skip class if I know there's not going to be any value in going there on that AND (not or) I have more pressing matters. Ideally, I would not skip at all, and indeed, I always feel a little guilty when I do so.

Although since I'm an exchange student, I can sort of get away with not going to class since the teachers don't seem to care whether I show up or not. Of course, there's not much else here to do besides go to school, since otherwise there's no one for me to talk to.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:34 am

View Original Postplanet news wrote:Sometimes it's just a wise strategic decision to skip class if attendance is not required. I've pulled at least... 10-15 all-nighters these last two terms, and it really would've been a lot more if I didn't chose to skip some classes beforehand.

Yeah. Don't skip class for the hell of it, but really, pick your battles. In high school you really shouldn't need to do this very often (if at all), unless your high school experience is substantially more work-intensive than mine was. College, on the other hand, is about learning how best to use your time as much as it is about completing your coursework.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:33 pm

I think I have a sinus infection, my room feels like a sauna, and I have a rough draft due for a 7 page paper in a few days, yet I feel totally uninspired. Also, I've been having some really depressing dreams really.

One last thing to mention..... My family is starting to annoy the shit out of me. I find myself starting to never even see any of their faces again or hear their voices. I need to get out of my town.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:26 am

Along the lines of skipping class. In med school everyone would constantly skip class. If you actually went to class, you'd find the lecture hall about 10-15% full. People, myself included, never went to class because they'd be spending all day at home studying for the 3 exams they had every week.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:30 am

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Along the lines of skipping class. In med school everyone would constantly skip class. If you actually went to class, you'd find the lecture hall about 10-15% full. People, myself included, never went to class because they'd be spending all day at home studying for the 3 exams they had every week.

While med school obviously has its own complexities (which I have only witnessed secondhand), I always thought that attending the classes was a pretty good way of studying the exam material. I mean, the lecturer is the same person writing the exam, after all...
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:09 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:You usually seem like a smart kid. What on earth made you think that skipping school was a good idea?

I didn't actually think it was a good idea it was just...
View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Don't underestimate the power of Seniority in High School drinian. It's contagious.

^- That. With the lack of classes I have in this final term, including the fact I only do academic work in one of them I became incredibly lazy in terms of doing my work and going to school.
View Original PostSachi wrote:@PRPD: I'd be in the same boat if my school didn't offer make-up up time by attending the Saturday detention. In fact, I would have probably flunked out by now. I have a terrible habit of missing school a lot; in fact, I skipped school on Monday.

Actually my school does have "Saturday school" except according to Guidance even if I were to make up the classes I missed or had an excused absence it wouldn't matter, surprisingly. It doesn't make sense but then again a lot of things within the New York City education system doesn't make a lot of sense.

Honestly up until this final semester I would never deliberately cut school. The only times I would stay home would be times where I would become sick, had to take care of something, and if a package was being expected while my parents were out working.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:51 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:It never occurred to me that it was an option not to go, any more than not showing up to work would be. It's just what you do.

Pretty much this, yeah... though I did totally blow off one particular class in college because I knew damned well I already had the material covered but it was required and they wouldn't let me test out. showed up on test days and otherwise just slept in. Got a B on account of missing pop quizzes, but whatever.

PRPD wrote:if a package was being expected while my parents were out working.

Really? That's a pretty lame excuse. If it's anything actually worth sending the delivery company should just leave you a note to reschedule if you aren't home.

Planet News wrote:my African Film class---that have no final, so there's basically no reason to attend class anymore unless you want to see some rare films, rant about neo-colonialism, etc.

If you don't want to do that, why take the class at all? I really hate the mindset that college is about getting a diploma rather than gathering experience and knowledge that the diploma is supposed to certify you actually attained. Grr... Stupid education = brain factory model...
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:20 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Really? That's a pretty lame excuse.

Really, really. My parents are impatient when it comes to packages and would rather not pick it up at a post office. :irked:
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:49 pm

View Original PostJoseph the PRPD wrote:^- That. With the lack of classes I have in this final term, including the fact I only do academic work in one of them I became incredibly lazy in terms of doing my work and going to school.

I appreciate the sentiment, I had trouble focusing on some of the work in front of me that last spring of high school myself...

That last semester of senior year is when you realize that you have to become self-motivated in your education. Up until then, you've had the motivation of your parents and the necessity of graduating from high school to get you out of bed in the mornings.

Some people never get over senioritis, and end up having trouble succeeding in university or work.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:18 pm

It´s now 2:17 AM in Europe.
Spent my whole evening playing LoL with friends.
I have to wake up again at 9 AM.

FML.

Good night.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:40 pm

Applied to six different places, still no job, no one's even called me in for an interview. It's not that big of a deal as I can always apply to McDonald's but I would rather do anything than fast food.

At least I'm kicking ass in school so college shouldn't be a problem.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:27 pm

The number of reasons I have to live just dropped from 5 to 4. Yay.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:28 pm

That doesn't sound good, TehDonutKing. You you try to expand that number if you can.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:32 pm

Thanks.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:31 am

Like I posted in the News thread, my fellow countrymen have left me in utter despair after the parliamentary election.

FML
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:51 am

Don't feel too bad Oz, at least you can see what's coming so you can take steps to protect yourself.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:55 am

I'm new to the "art" of smoking a pipe. Tried to put a screen in the pipe I have, ended up tearing it. Tried again, ended up doing the same thing. I end up tearing it because the screen ends up sinking to the very bottom of the pipe and when I try to get it out, it just tears like paper.... What am I doing wrong!?!?!?(INB4SMOKINGAPIPE)

Funny thing though is that when I try to find a guide, the only stuff I can find is people bragging about their marijuana bowls/pipes.

Also, this paper I'm doing for class is fucking killing me. I feel like I'm on the verge of a mental breakdown. I NEED to pass this class.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”