College applications!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

wintermute
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby wintermute » Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:49 am

Stay away from private colleges. Even if your parents try to convince you otherwise ("You'll have smaller classes and won't be just a number!").

Twice the price and half as nice.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:48 am

View Original Postwintermute wrote:Stay away from private colleges. Even if your parents try to convince you otherwise ("You'll have smaller classes and won't be just a number!").

Twice the price and half as nice.

Price isn't an issue here, so it doesn't matter. I'd have to go out of state for a private school, so it wouldn't be that much cheaper anyways, especially when I'm definitely in consideration for a half-scholarship at USC. UC schools are all massively underfunded, so that'd be a more terrible deal.

But as you can tell, I have no publics on my list, so I'd have to do a massive overhaul of that.

If you were to suggest to me an actual college though, which one would you?
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

Panicking! No idea where to go to college. :p

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:00 pm

The good news for me is that I have about a dozen options for where I can go to school. The bad news is that I have no idea which one is the right choice. They're all great choices but I'm a little apprehensive about each one. And the thing is I have to choose before the end of the month.

Since you guys have gone through the experience already, I want to know how you guys chose your schools.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:52 pm

Went to a local university that would be about the only place to take me at the last minute due to my indecision.

Pretty much sums it all up.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:15 am

It's natural to be apprehensive about a big life-changing event.

Unless there is a place that is obviously better for some reason like courses offered, location or cost, just go with your gut feel.

Admittedly it's easier when you only have a list of 1 that you're seriously considering.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kenshin Sephiroth
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Kenshin Sephiroth » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:20 am

Like Mr. Tines said, begin by doing as much research into your options as you can. Try to get a good overview of the colleges right away, narrow the list down from a dozen to maybe your top five picks, then look more thoroughly into the course plan, campus and all that other stuff. This is meant to be something you want to do, so just relax and try to locate the place that speaks most to you as a person.

Good luck, and Congratulations!
"Sentient ice cream."

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Yeah I'm trying to do that right now with a bunch of last-minute college visits.

The problem is that they're all so different so it's really hard to compare.

Does anyone here live in the LA region? I'm going to visit USC and Claremont McKenna in a couple of weeks.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Panicking! No idea where to go to college. :p

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:22 pm

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:Since you guys have gone through the experience already, I want to know how you guys chose your schools.

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Advice: If you know what you want to get into, make sure to apply to schools with good programs for those fields. If you don't know what you want to do, bigger state schools with a wide variety of programs are probably better. You can muck around (and for cheaper tuition) until you find something you like, or until you decide school isn't for you.

I knew what I wanted to get into an simply chose the school with the #1 program in the U.S.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm going to try to shoot for MIT.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:46 pm

Ornette, I actually did get into CMU! For H&SS only though.

Hunter21
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hunter21 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:14 am

If you know what degree you want go with Ornette's advice and simply pick from your list which one is best in that field.

If you are not sure make your pick based upon what you feel after all the different college visits. You are most likely going to do better at a college you feel comfortable at.

And remember this, you can always switch colleges later on down the road if you change your mind about what you want to study. It's not even that uncommon anymore for someone to go to a cheaper college to figure out what they want to study and then switch over to a more accredited institution in what ever field they decided on.
EVANGERIONANIME is stupid

Come Join the Sakaki Fan Club!

Remember you're on Evageeks, where preset personal delusions outweigh reality.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”