Home theater

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Home theater

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:32 am

For a long time I've been thinking of moving to a bigger room where I could have a significantly better "home theater" system - and now I've begun actual planning for that. I have pretty much figured out how I will arrange the furniture and so forth so right now I'm concerned about the hardware.

1. I need a new monitor

One that can handle TV, DVD/BD and PC display. It has to be at least a 25-inch screen so that it feels cinematic enough, but my budget is quite tight (can't go much beyond 500 dollars for the monitor). Right now I'm thinking of BenQ M2700HD. According to the reviews it's far from perfect, but within its price range it's the ideal choice when you keep in mind that I will only watch films and browse the Internet with it. Has anyone here had experience with it or do you have a better suggestion that fits the budget?

2. I need a DVD/BD player

At first I thought I would just buy a BD drive for my PC, but I realized I'm probably better off buying a good player instead. Oppo sounds great, but it might be a bit too expensive. EDIT: After a quick search, I'm considering Sony BDP-S470.

3. I need an AV receiver

To manage all the audio and not have to struggle with cables I'm going to get an AV receiver so that I can switch my headphones easily between the TV, DVD/BD and PC audio. I haven't done any research on this yet so I'm pretty clueless on that front.

4. I need a wireless keyboard

This one was pretty easy: it looks like HP Wireless Elite Keyboard is cheap and good enough for me. Basically, I'm going to need a wireless keyboard since I'm going to be sitting in a recliner of some sort and have my keyboard on my lap (or at least near it). I won't need a new mouse unless the set-up screws up my intention to use the good old Logitech G5 that has faithfully served me for years.

So, what I'm looking for is advice and suggestions. I'm in no hurry to finish the system because I won't probably be moving into the bigger room before summer.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:16 am

I heard that PS3s are good in doubling as a Blu-Ray player, dunno.

and:

5. You need 7.1 audio.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:19 am

I think it would be quite ridiculous to buy a PS3 just for the BD capability (even if it's good). :lol: As for audio, I have my great headphones. I always listen to films through my headphones. ALWAYS. I'm just going to hook them into the AV receiver. And if I need speakers I can use the cheap set-up my PC currently has.

I'm actually more confused about the BD player at the moment. Oppo would be perfect, but I'm not sure if I'm willing to spend so much money on it - I would have to order it from the US and that would mean ridiculous shipping costs and taxes. The Sony player on the other hand seems to be a bit unreliable - or at least there's a significant portion of negative reactions to it.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:24 am

Then at least get some Amplification for your headphones.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:34 am

you traitor ;____;

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:25 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Then at least get some Amplification for your headphones.

AV receivers usually have that and I'm looking for one that boosts audio quality.

View Original PostXard wrote:you traitor ;____;

I prefer spending my money on something that will be a HUGE benefit for my main hobby for years instead of wasting it on a brief trip to Japan that can be done later.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:59 am

If you're sticking to frickin headphones for "home theatre" I can't see how it's a huge improvement.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:23 am

View Original PostXard wrote:If you're sticking to frickin headphones for "home theatre" I can't see how it's a huge improvement.

Almost as if surround sound was all there is to the "home theater" system. I'm looking for actual advice in this thread so drop it already.

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:04 pm

You dont need 7.1 yet. The current movies out now are a faux 7.1 where the 5.1 track just has two more speakers doubling the sound. But yea, its a good idea to get a BD-PLayer, but there is one feature you need to have. The Ability to upgrade the firmware. I think the PS3 is the best for that, as I have bought 3 BD players and 1 cant play most of my discs due to firmware issues and the company dropped support on it. Also, you get a game system with it, so you save space.
Me and my Droogs.
http://www.youtube.com/user/scarmulletpart2
Serindip LLC are Nazis!!!!

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:26 pm

I second the PS3 as an excellent BD player. It's one of the best options that's not a PC BD drive. Plus there's everything else it offers. It has amazing upscaling capabilities. Not sure how much of a gamer you are but there are other helpful services too (not sure about what they offer in europe).
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:34 pm

It also helps that the PS3 is also a region free BD player. I've had NO trouble playing European BDs on my American PS3.
Me and my Droogs.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:41 pm

I might third the PS3 for a good player as I've heard quite good things about it. Before the Oppo came out, it was my first choice for a player even though I had no intentions of using its gaming capabilities. Really, the only things you have to worry about with a player are firmware updates (you want one that's constantly working to fix any bugs), easy to hack (to make multi-regional), and good upscaling. Most BDPs work fine and about equal on blu-ray, so upscaling and hacking is more important.

I may be wrong, but I'm thinking you could probably do better to buy an actual TV than a monitor. For some reason, most computer dedicated monitors seem more expensive than TVs nowadays, and TVs work just as well as long as they have HDMI inputs. I bought my dad a 42" Panasonic Viera Plasma for $700 brand new, and they're cheaper used, and he has his PC hooked up to it. If you're going to be using headphones, I would just recommend making sure the receiver is functional and not worrying about quality too much.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:46 pm

Wait what, PS3s are region free?

I had no idea

sauce plz uguu

and what is this firmware stuff you guys keep talking about? :uhh:

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:52 pm

Yes, PS3 has always been region free. You can import all your Ranka games. Firmware is this. Basically, what version the device runs on. Also, don't go hacking the PS3. Sony will just brick your console.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:57 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Wait what, PS3s are region free?

I had no idea

sauce plz uguu

and what is this firmware stuff you guys keep talking about? :uhh:

Blu-ray is still a budding technology, and they keep on adding and removing features, and sometimes such features prevent your player from playing the disc. How do they solve this problem? They add the capabilities via updating the hardware.

Early DVD players had the same issue, especially with DL-DVD discs.

Actually Zap-x, they just permaban you. I know this for a fact. Sony was just trying to play internet tough guy when they said they could remotely brick your PS3.
Me and my Droogs.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:00 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:Yes, PS3 has always been region free. You can import all your Ranka games. Firmware is this. Basically, what version the device runs on. Also, don't go hacking the PS3. Sony will just brick your console.

Sweet! I had no idea PS3 was region free.

And I do know what firmware means, I was just wondering why exactly is player's ability to play BDs dependant on firmware functioning properly.

And why would I want to hack PS3 if it's region free already? :uhh:

(no I don't think I've ever pirated games for consoles)

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:03 pm

But is it region free for movies or only for games?

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:03 pm

It's kind of like updates for a computer OS. Bugs and various issues get fixed and new features can be added via firmware updates. Really handy to have.

Oz, BD is region free, I think DVD's are locked. Someone else may be able to confirm but I've never watched any DVDs that weren't R1 on mine.
Last edited by ZapX on Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:07 pm

Just goes to show how short my memory is with these kind of things, I had completely forgotten similar updates had to be done in early DVD era...

View Original PostOz wrote:But is it region free for movies or only for games?

Does this distinction make sense? There has been BDs that contain both game AND film... I'd figure region free means free for all :shrug:

scarmullet
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby scarmullet » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:07 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Sweet! I had no idea PS3 was region free.

And I do know what firmware means, I was just wondering why exactly is player's ability to play BDs dependant on firmware functioning properly.

And why would I want to hack PS3 if it's region free already? :uhh:

(no I don't think I've ever pirated games for consoles)

The firmware updates would add stuff like BD-Live, Java, etc
Me and my Droogs.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”