Gurren Lagann Countdown!

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:34 pm

三つの心が一つになれば
一つの正義は百万パワーアップ

Does this resume the whole series?

One thing I'm glad about: 'tseems people aren't maiking breakthroughs anymore.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:47 pm

AchtungAffen wrote: 'tseems people aren't maiking breakthroughs anymore.

It's Tengen Toppa Gurrenn Lagan -- can anyone confirm a translation for the first bit : I've seen it rendered as "breaking through the sky", or some such.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

AchtungAffen
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby AchtungAffen » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:30 pm

Yep, I believe that's the correct translation. Tengen, not from the tengen era, but from ten (heaven) and gen/moto (basis/foundation). Breaking through the base of heaven or something.
"Oh, Constantine! To how many evils origin was given, not by your conversion to Christianity, but by the dowry which from you received the first Pope that was rich!" - Dante
How can you expect to live in a Republic when you don't care about the res-publica?
"The gun, in all its forms, was the epochal tool of white male supremacy, which is why it continues to have irrational appeal. As much as the jack-booted hate Jews and blacks, that much they love their guns." - James Carrol
My List @ AniDB

- Original activist against the lockers-that-be -

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:23 pm

AchtungAffen wrote:Breaking through the base of heaven or something.

BREAKTHROUGH! BREAKTHROUGH!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:00 pm

I'm loving this show. Maybe once it's finished I'll count how many sex based jokes and innuendo's they can get out of the "drill".

The creepiest character so far though has to be Leeron. The very gay Joker-looking mechanic.

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:10 pm

i actually find the Leeron bits hilarious, unlike, say, the gay guy in Abenobashi.

WHO DO YOU THINK I AM KICK!!!!

CANNONBALL OF THE RIGHTEOUS MAN'S SOUL!!!

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:23 pm

Its those fingers....what is he? Triple-jointed?

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:52 pm

"Observe my skillful fingers"

lol

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:40 am

Dude, Kamina is so awesome, that he made a Ganmen accept him out of sheer willpower, and his WHODOYOUTHINKIAMKIIIICK was too awesome for the Gurren to bear, breaking it's arm.

Loving the show so far. It's so fun.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:45 am

Trigger's Elysium wrote:his WHODOYOUTHINKIAMKIIIICK was too awesome for the Gurren to bear

Was it as awesome as Inazuma Kick? Or Double Inazuma Kick? Yeah, didn't think so.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:48 am

Not quite, but it's up there.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:52 am

BrikHaus81 wrote:Was it as awesome as Inazuma Kick? Or Double Inazuma Kick? Yeah, didn't think so.

His kick obviously can't hold a candle to an Inazuma kick much less a Double Inazuma Kick, but it was cool in its own way. Anyways, so far I'm liking the characters in Gurren Lagann especially Kamina. It was hilarious when he started using the gun to smash the Ganmen hatch open.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

NeonZ
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NeonZ » Sun Apr 15, 2007 6:02 am

Episode 02 was as good as the first one. I suppose they went with simple designs to help the animation, or will the animation quality drop later on due to mismanagement...? Anyway, I really liked the twist at the end involving Kamina.

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:41 am

BrikHaus81 wrote:Was it as awesome as Inazuma Kick? Or Double Inazuma Kick? Yeah, didn't think so.

YES

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:57 am

NeonZ wrote:Episode 02 was as good as the first one. I suppose they went with simple designs to help the animation, or will the animation quality drop later on due to mismanagement...? Anyway, I really liked the twist at the end involving Kamina.

Wait, what? When/where did episode two come out? I can't find it... O_o

EDIT: Ne'er you mind, for I have found it.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:24 pm

I think the slight animation difference between episode 1 and 2 is just because of the difference in the episode's key animation director.

Watch Eva and there's little consistency between overall animation styles between episodes.

Anywho, didn't Imaishi himself direct the animation in the first episode of Gurren-Lagann, because that episode most resembles his kinetic dont stand still philosophy.
Episode 2 was done by some Shoji guy and Epsiode 3 is being done by one of the key animation directors behind some of Evangelion's best epsiodes. Masahiko Otsuka.

P.S. For me the most shocking thing about this series is how damn fast it's moving. It's only on Episode 3 and they're already going to have THE Gurren-Lagann of the title and have a head to head confrontation with (what seems) to be the series big badguy.
Tre interesting. Well, director Imaishi did say this series is divided into 4 clearly distinguishable acts.

-Aaaah, its so nice to have a quality REAL Gainax anime out there. Cliches and all it's just being done right so far.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:27 am

Episode 3- Both the Gurren-Lagann of the title and the (seemingly) main bad guy are introduced......and its only the third episode.

But the episode was so......AWESOME!!!!! For some reason now whenever the pilots of the mecha talks the mecha moves its mouth. Damn visual consistency, its so damn cool!!!!

It so far doesn't hint 1/10th of the character complexity of Evangelion (I was so sure the main character Simon was going to be like Shinji, complex and overcome by his very human fears, but Simon seems to just say "I'm too scared to fight! No wait, I will!". )

But damn it this is Hiroyuki Imaishi and I can definitly see the guy keeping up the pace like this.

If there's ANY fears I have about this show it's Gainax's (or was it really Anno's?) tendency to use up the budget before the end of the show? Cause if that's the case this might be the first time an anime goes into the red with their money 6 episodes in.

One last note is I can't see this series having a "Gainax Ending" since Episode 1 bluntly states how much of a badass Simon is going to become.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:31 am

I've read that this airs on Sunday morning at 8am in Japan, which would be a very kiddie-friendly time slot. With that in mind, I doubt this is ever going to reach anything near to Eva's complexity. It'll probably remain lighter fare. But I'm just guessing, nobody knows for sure except for Gainax.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:37 pm

One last note is I can't see this series having a "Gainax Ending" since Episode 1 bluntly states how much of a badass Simon is going to become.

The only Gainax anime I can think of that didn't have a gainax ending is puchi puri yuushi, so I'll believe it when I see it.

I really liked the scene in episode 3 when the two robots united. Yoko seemed to be really turned on by the idea but then Kamina just shoved Lagann into Gurrens head and that beastman was just like "this guys a moron" But somehow it ended up working anyway! Kamina has the dumb luck of Misato!

which would be a very kiddie-friendly time slot

Seemed like a fairly adult anime though, although the fanservice is tamer then some of gainax's other productions.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

NeonZ
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NeonZ » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:24 pm

It so far doesn't hint 1/10th of the character complexity of Evangelion (I was so sure the main character Simon was going to be like Shinji, complex and overcome by his very human fears, but Simon seems to just say "I'm too scared to fight! No wait, I will!". )

While I don't disagree, to be fair, in episode 2, he did learn that the ones that created the Earthquakes that killed many people in his village were those beast men, so his change of attitude isn't senseless.

If the series lasts until after the events of episode 1, they easily could make a "Gainax" ending.

Seemed like a fairly adult anime though, although the fanservice is tamer then some of gainax's other productions.

Eh... not really. Kamina's attitude (dissociated from brutal violence) is something usually found in characters from Japanese kid's shows currently, like the Super Sentai series- though it's usually the main character rather than a secondary one like in Gurren Lagan.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”