Shin Gojira (a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence)

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Re: Shin Gojira (a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence)

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:10 am

So I checked this out today, missed the first 10-15 minutes of the movie though.

This godzilla to me is what godzilla would be like if you crossed him with rebuild Ramiel and a god warrior. Also I like how they played the same music they play in evangelion when Misato is trying to impliment a crazy anti angel plan whenever they were trying to impliment a crazy anti godzilla plan. Speaking of Misato did anyone else kind of have Kayako remind them of Misato?

I kind of want to see Anno do a sequal to this, I mean imagine this crazy freaky godzilla fighting another monster which is just as if not more crazy and freaky? I mean imagine Hideaki Annos version of Biolantie? That'd be some crazy freaky stuff right there!
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:53 pm

Linkara and the AT4W crew give their opinion on it.

http://atopthefourthwall.com/vlog-101916-shin-godzilla/

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:12 pm

At long last we get the reason why Marc_Cerasini's 5th novel Godzilla & the Lost Continent was never released and of course its because of Roland Emmerich's bitch ass.
(Also if you haven't read them his 4 Godzilla novels that were released are superb and well worth tracking down)
http://www.tohokingdom.com/interviews/m ... -2016.html

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:27 am

Typed Hideaki Anno in Twitter, got this.

http://www.otakuusamagazine.com/LatestNews/News1/Shin-Godzilla-Producer-Talks-Hideaki-Anno-Future-o-8335.aspx

Pretty fascinating read! I like how the producers illustrate that Shinji Higuchi is a craftsman & Hideaki Anno is an artist. That difference means everything. The addition of the artist is why Shinji Higuchi's resume now has the schlocky but competently made live action 'Attack On Titan' films immediately preceded by a genuine work of art like 'Shin Godzilla.' I would also be curious to see what rules they hit Anno with for their Godzilla reboot besides the obvious - budget, runtime, release date in Summer 2016 - since they pretty much seemed to have given the guy free reign.

Also curious to read that they're taking inspiration from the original run of ALIEN movies in that each following Godzilla sequel will be heavily reliant on the interests & stylistics of the director. So whatever Shin Godzilla 2 ends up being will depend on the director hired but it most likely won't feel anything like Anno's original.

Sykes III
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sykes III » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:56 pm

I was a Godzilla fan long before I was an Eva fan. I absolutely adored this movie. It's the best Godzilla has been since 2001's All-Out Monsters Attack, and such an amazing response to the Fukushima disaster and examination of the Japanese bureaucratic psyche. I also honestly think it's the best thing Anno's done in a long time too. It's exactly what I wanted from the pairing of them. Anno said he wanted to make a movie that lived up to the 1954 original, and I think he succeeded.

I read a lot of complaints about the movie, but they all come off as fanboy whining to me, as well as a misreading of what this movie is supposed to be. It's not in the monster movie genre -- it's in the disaster movie genre. It has more in common with a film like Contagion than with tokusatsu films.

My wife and I spent like two hours discussing the movie after seeing it -- always a good sign.

While I'm disappointed that the follow-up will probably be nothing like it (one of the things that bothered me about the post 1999 G films), I'm very happy we got this amazing, awe-inspiring one off and I am also excited that it's production seems to have re-engerized Anno. Maybe it will make the final Rebuild film worthy of this whole (up to this point) questionable project.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Nov 04, 2016 10:36 am

What would be the ETA on Japanese BD release? Do I have to wait till summer of next year for importing? Does the Japanese movie market have a different home video release schedule than the west? I know Eva Q was considered to have a faster release than normal.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:19 pm

Dang I was hoping Anno would do the sequal too.

Also what was that they said about a godzilla anime?

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:39 pm

The Urobutcher is gonna be involved In some degree.

So expect cute moe characters with big eyes experiencing trauma because of Godzilla.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:37 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:The Urobutcher is gonna be involved In some degree.

So expect cute moe characters with big eyes experiencing trauma because of Godzilla.

I hope they use the anno version of godzilla for that, that'd be awesome!

Zeta_One
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeta_One » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:11 pm

Having seen it twice and given it a little thought, I consider Shin Godzilla to be my second favorite film in the Godzilla series. It's behind only Ishiro Honda's Gojira (I also have endless affection for Godzilla: King of the Monsters). Anno truly delivered with his latest picture, outclassing Godzilla (2014), which I believe to be a fundamentally broken film, in every category except for special effects. While Japanese filmmakers can't quite rival Hollywood yet, I'll admit Shinji Higuchi's efforts were largely impressive. Although I hope Toho hasn't completely abandoned the traditional method of bringing its most famous creature to life. The characters were extremely likable; easily one of the best human casts in the Godzilla series. Shirō Sagisu brought a strong score to the table. Much of it was recycled, though it was used appropriately. Besides, it doesn't hurt to hear some of Akira Ifukube's classic material. The two biggest problems I had with Shin Godzilla was Godzilla's lack of energy in the finale and a little redundancy preceding the aforementioned climax. 8/10

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:21 pm

This has apparently made an appearance online, but for some reason, 20 minutes are missing. Some scenes randomly cut. I have not personally watched what has surfaced online, this is just info I read on 4chan.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Dec 02, 2016 4:12 pm

I'll believe it when I see it from a more reliable source but random people online are saying the Blu-ray of the film will hit Japanese shelves on March 22, 2017.

Like I said, it's just a rumor until somewhere legitimate gives the date.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:46 pm

Saw it today, fully blew me away.
Pretty much agree with everything in Gendo's Papa's review.
Especially with the shockingly fast pace and it finding a good balance of condemning the inaction of bureaucrats but also praising the ability of people coming together. A few reviewers claimed it beats you over the head with the message, never felt that way to me.
Also didn't get too much Anti American-ism at all.

My biggest disappointment with the 2014 film was the lack of military vs Godzilla scenes, this quenched that in full.
The B2 scene was awesome and surprising how effective they actually managed to be, reminded me of a similar moment in one of the Marc Creasini G novels where fuel air explosives managed to decently harm Godzilla.

The hate for Satomi Ishihara is puzzling to me, one reviewer who strongly liked the film compared her to a white person in the 30s/40s playing Fu Manchu, WAT??? She is a intentionally a caricature but Jesus, she was extremely subtle compared to what I have been hearing.

Effects are great all around, the tadpole form looked much better then expected, their is a solidness to Godzilla's skin here that was lacking in the 2014 CGI.
Worst moment effects wise that I can recall is right before he powers down he jerks along and it looks like the footage has been sped up.
Some absolutely beautiful imagery in the film from Godzilla's purple glow to the seaboard shot of burning tokyo.
CGI for the tanks/copters is as Gendo's Papa said, flawless. Looks just as good as the real tank footage used in Godzilla 2000.

Godzilla's back lasers are a bit silly but work, I wonder if Anno was inspired by Barugon from the Gamera films having a long range back laser.

About the end...
SPOILER: Show
While Godzilla was powered down they showed the lead pondering the missing doctor's last actions and then it immediately cuts to Godzilla's tail splintering, was that suppose to imply the missing doctor was responsible for Godzilla mutating into humanoid forms?

View Original PostSykes III wrote:It's the best Godzilla has been since 2001's All-Out Monsters Attack

Agreed.
Last edited by movieartman on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:12 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:About the end...
SPOILER: Show
While Godzilla was powered down they showed the lead pondering the missing doctor's last actions and then it immediately cuts to Godzilla's tail splintering, was that suppose to imply the missing doctor was responsible for Godzilla mutating into humanoid forms?

I think the cuts are not connected, rather the latter was a set-up for that particular ability.

Honestly, it's as if Anno just dropped the whole Doctor mystery by the end. The movie would've benefited from more tighter/focused writing. less is more
Both the writing and effects took a downhill dive by the end of the film.

What was the name of the Doctor?...heh
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:08 am

So I'm watching it, and as expected throwing in some hints of Uncle Sam meddling (including that woman in a bomber jacket throwing her weight around as an Ugly American):

A: We're analyzing a sample of its body fluid at our lab.
B: Pass some to me. I'll get outside help.
A: The Americans took away all the samples.
JSDF Officer: On-site remains are being burned due to the stench.
A: Under American pressure, I hear.

If anything... I'm in 26 minutes.

Anno truly delivered with his latest picture, outclassing Godzilla (2014), which I believe to be a fundamentally broken film, in every category except for special effects.

Even this early, this film is clearly intended for the purist who wanted that old-school feel. I mean, this isn't for everyone.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:52 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:So I'm watching it, and as expected throwing in some hints of Uncle Sam meddling (including that woman in a bomber jacket throwing her weight around as an Ugly American)

So, where's the hints that it was Uncle Sam doing the meddling? Can you pin point when the meddling occurred? Was it during production or just before US distribution? Were highly-trained Japanese-speakers hired by Obama to dub over the original Japans dialogue with different Japanese dialogue? If so, can you provide audio samples indicating different voice dubbers for the same character? Or is it simply that the subs don't match the Japanese audio? Have you gotten other Japanese-speakers to confirm that the subs don't match what they actors are saying? If so, can you site these sources without risking their lives in uncovering international espionage of the arts? Who first broke the story to you? Which publication can you trust to print your material without ratting you out to the authorities? Are you currently safe right now? Are you posting this using encrypted software? Do you suspect that any white vans outside your house belong to the CIA?

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:49 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:So, where's the hints that it was Uncle Sam doing the meddling? Can you pin point when the meddling occurred? Was it during production or just before US distribution? Were highly-trained Japanese-speakers hired by Obama to dub over the original Japans dialogue with different Japanese dialogue? If so, can you provide audio samples indicating different voice dubbers for the same character? Or is it simply that the subs don't match the Japanese audio? Have you gotten other Japanese-speakers to confirm that the subs don't match what they actors are saying? If so, can you site these sources without risking their lives in uncovering international espionage of the arts? Who first broke the story to you? Which publication can you trust to print your material without ratting you out to the authorities? Are you currently safe right now? Are you posting this using encrypted software? Do you suspect that any white vans outside your house belong to the CIA?

I think he meant In-story meddling.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:03 pm

Ah, okay.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:57 pm

Forgot to post more information about the version on the net that's missing 20 minutes: The title screen has Godzilla Resurgence instead of Shin Godzilla. When I saw it in theaters, the title screen was Shin Godzilla. I assume that's what it was for everyone else, right? Which leaves me pondering: could the version online be an early cut for the US?

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:41 pm

Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”