Shin Gojira (a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence)

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Shin Gojira (a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence)

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:49 pm

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:Srs, though, Japanese artists aren't 'ANTI-AMERICAN' because they're against America nuking stuff. In Japan, that's not even left-wing.

Uh, that's not an exclusively left-wing position in America, either.
Last edited by Tumbling Down on Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:07 pm

Rei IV wrote:Great article, SoryuUberAlles. It does relate to what we're talking about and Shin Godzilla, to a degree. Although with one of the potential candidates for the 2016 Presidential election, Japan and other US allies have every to be weary of us and not trust us. :uhh:
Let's not talk about current politics while discussing this politically charged film. :rolleyes:

Instead, let's discuss about the problems that this film has. :devil:

SPOILER: Show
While parts of this film are nothing short of astonishing; other parts are cheap and lazy.
The Film started strong, and kept its momentum; escalating right up to the Nighttime-Fight Scene.(showing the best special effects in the film i.e. partial/fire-physics)

The script had too many separate plot-lines i.e. (the nuclear-powered Godzilla hypothesis, only to be solved a few minutes later) (the missing doctor, the mystery behind his data, to Origami solution that came out of nowhere), this film would've benefited greatly with some plot omissions.

The second half of the movie felt rushed having too many plot convinces that felt a tad bit shallow. (the Origami solution that came out of nowhere)
Continuity errors, like after Godzilla setting Tokyo into an inferno; leveling High-rise-buildings with his laser beams :shoot2kill:

Only to show the next morning a pristine city excluding Godzilla's path. (Without a sign of ash, fire, destruction, after the Nuclear allegory)

I was expecting Anno to show scenes reminiscing Hiroshima; like how the 1954 film and even final wars had.
(Shin-Godzilla lacks the whole horror and sorrow faced after the flames)
Godzilla ( 1954 ) " Prayer For Peace "
https://youtu.be/njDSd8e6o70?list=RD_xPKolXdyiM

The film's resolution was rushed and had unfitting music,
Godzilla King Of The Monsters OST - 07 - Frigate March 1
https://youtu.be/QlD42mVM3ag?list=RD_xPKolXdyiM
I know that this was used in the original film, but it should of been played during the team's prepping to fight Godzilla. (like how it was used in 1954)

It feels like as if the film's budget ran out by towards the second act. It feels as if Anno focused the budget on the first act. (did history repeat itself?)
Compared to eel-zilla; which had fluid and organic movement, Godzilla was stiffer than a block of wood during the Yashiori-Operation.
https://youtu.be/DPz6-nnoUOU?t=11s

Personal gripe:
ALSO was anyone else taken back by how the film ended on such a "pretty bow tied" note?
the city saved, radiation returning to natural levels within 6 months, people happy; not torn from loss.

I honestly expected Godzilla to show signs of activity by the end of the film, ending with Tokyo nuked... (Its Anno; the same guy behind EOE) can you blame me? :lol:

Despite all that, this film was a BLAST to watch, I am definitely going to purchase this film when it's released.

btw: YouTube is starting to delete captured Shin-Godzilla footage, save them while you can

Despite all that, this film was a BLAST to watch, I am definitely going to purchase this film when it's released. I enjoyed this film. :asuka_thumbsup:
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:24 am

For anyone who, like me, lags on all things political and historical, here's a review that focuses almost entirely on detailing Shin Godzilla's politics and historical background. The tone is refreshingly neutral, too.

http://inthesetimes.com/article/19527/a&
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:23 am

Within this core of “soft nationalism” lies a tacit endorsement of the policies of Japan’s current conservative leader, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe, who has made it known he wants to revise Japan’s U.S.-drafted constitution, which General Douglas MacArthur forced upon the country in 1947.
Generals and soldiers assume an easy victory against the outsized creature advancing on Tokyo, but the nominal hero, young Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Rando Yaguchi (Hiroki Hasegawa), knows the errors of the past: “Wishful thinking and armchair theories by the old Imperial Army in the last war led to 3 million Japanese lives lost. Beware of unfounded optimism.”

Man, that political spin is a reach. It's telling you can spin the same 'America scary Nukes bad' line is as left-wing as Pol Pot up thread - now it's as right-wing as Shinzo Abe! Abe is way, way more right wing than that.

Actually, real note for Eva-fans. IMDB claims EoE references Gekido no showashi: Okinawa kessen (1971): 'The invasion of the JSSDF is modelled after the American attack in the film.' But the only citation for it I found for it is a reference to Protoculture Addicts at onegeek.com. If the last thing Anno has shown the Japanese Self Defence Force doing is re-enacting the battle of Okinawa then showing them as heroic maybe a real turnaround for Anno. But still, pretty far from as right-wing as Shinzo Abe.

Edit: The article ReiIV posted upthread seems a lot better. This film is way more about Fukushima than Article 9.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:08 am

I'm politically retarded, so my apologies if the article was off base in some ways; I'm not great at picking these things up.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:21 am

There's nothing you need to apologise for, natch! It's actually a pretty interesting article. But I'd like people to know that article just kinds of strings together [actually pretty on point review] with [generic Abe scary news piece]. The problem is it doesn't really link those together. The quoted piece shows the actual stuff it takes from the movie is completely different from the Article 9 factoids you get anywhere. It just sort of strings together "The JSDF is in this move" (true!) with "Abe wants to remilitarize Japan" (true!) and makes a pretty tenuous leap to "Anno endorses Abe" (whaaaat)

Spoiler for that review though: Team Red wins. (just saying) :asuka_thumbsup:
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:00 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I'm politically retarded, so my apologies if the article was off base in some ways; I'm not great at picking these things up.

Like SoryuUberAlles said, no need to apologize for anything! If anything, all these (bizarre) claims in the reviews about Shin Godzilla are testament people will always interpret things differently, even if it's reaching. The whole concept of it being "Right-wing" for Japan wanting to flex its muscle and re-establish its military, for example, is something I will personally never understand as there is a lot complexity to the nation's attitude towards the USA and that for all the mention of detractors, some people in Washington ('Merica) believe Japan would be beneficial with its own military. A lot of Shin Godzilla reviews seem to omit many important things that happen in the movie such as

The main character Rando Yaguchi alludes fighting for Godzilla not just for Japan, but for the world and all of humanity or something a long the lines. Nations like Germany, France, and in the end, USA all pitch in do their own job and help the Japanese. If it was so nationalist, then only the Japanese and its military would've defeat Godzilla and that's not the case in this movie.

I think because of some of the things Anno said about us (USA) in past interviews and some our depictions in his media, there's this belief he must have something disparaging and negative to say again yet the criticism of USA in Shin Godzilla is totally legitimate. We are the World Police and put our interests first.
The plan to nuke Godzilla in Tokyo is insensitive to Japanese, who've already been through this. Now they witness their capital city be potentially annihilated as well.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:42 am

I wonder why I didn't pick up anything amiss in the article? The tone felt matter of fact rather than implicitly judgmental to me. However, this could be my ignorance to the greater political landscape at work. Just for my own edification: Is it possible that the article's author is misinterpreting Anno's political stance without necessarily suggesting that such a stance is bad?

On a relevant note, some commentary from Carl Horn (Eva fan who worked on the manga localization) and Patrick Macias. Abe's name comes up:

http://howldb.com/p/carl-gustav-horn-on ... hts-0hh9jt
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:42 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I wonder why I didn't pick up anything amiss in the article? The tone felt matter of fact rather than implicitly judgmental to me. However, this could be my ignorance to the greater political landscape at work. Just for my own edification: Is it possible that the article's author is misinterpreting Anno's political stance without necessarily suggesting that such a stance is bad?

On a relevant note, some commentary from Carl Horn (Eva fan who worked on the manga localization) and Patrick Macias. Abe's name comes up:

http://howldb.com/p/carl-gustav-horn-on ... hts-0hh9jt

IMHO, that seems to be the case. There are so many reviews of Shin Godzilla that point out the not so flattering depiction of the USA in the film but they never make the claims of anti-Americanism or that it has Right-wing bent. Some reviews that highlighted reaction/reception from the Japanese was that they loved that it showed the government as being competent and working together with others. I think it's like you mentioned before in your post: Knowing how Anno is controversial, many folks believe he's "trolling" and sticking it to the USA in a subtle way but I honestly don't believe that's the case: Here's a bit that I believe honestly sums up Shin Godzilla from the link you posted.

There's at least four political frameworks that are addressed in Shin Godzilla:domestic Japanese decision-making, the presentation and role of the SDF as a discrete institution, the U.S.-Japan relationship, and the relationship of Japan to the UN Security Council. This last framework is written as critical to the script, and in my view shows Shin Godzilla to have more to say about Japan's place in the world than just "we're America's Neil Connery."

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:47 am

I found the commentary about the US in the film to be tongue in cheek and rather refreshing. It seemed more like poking fun than harsh criticism.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:18 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:01 pm

YEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:09 pm

Great! I wanted to see the film again! :asuka_happy:

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:10 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:YEEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!

Don't you mean "YAAAAASSSSS".

:lol:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:37 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Don't you mean "YAAAAASSSSS".

:lol:

No. :asuka_stare:

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:09 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:No. :asuka_stare:

Don't you mean "NAW".
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:37 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Don't you mean "NAW".

:asuka_miffed: I mean what I say, Baka!

Prof_Finn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Prof_Finn » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:02 pm

Hmm, should I go and see it for a 3rd time...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:25 pm

The director of Trick'R'Tret & Krampus is taking over Legendary's GODZILLA 2. So the versatility of the Godzilla character might be getting quite the test these next few years.

Godzilla 2014: God-fearing movie about myths.
Shin Godzilla: Political satire/procedural on how to take down a giant monster.
Godzilla 2017: Animated?
Godzilla 2: Hopefully a film with a mean & sharp sense of humor like Michael Dougherty's previous films.

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:47 pm

In Shin Godzilla, Was Godzilla a mutated (ancient-creature) or (biological-mass)?

The film lost me at that point.

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”