Shin Gojira (a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence)

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Anno is writing and directing a Godzilla movie

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:39 pm

Oh just get over that movie already
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:22 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^ #MakeAnnoGreatAgain :lol:

Kinda.
I mean i know than anno is a talented man and is capable to do great things, I just think than the Rebuild series is bad as fuck and Anno can make bad Movies too.
The Godzilla Movie looks like a nice comeback for Anno.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:46 pm

^ I disagree. NTE is at least as good as Terminators 1 & 2, and I don't consider those bad movies. Cutie Honey and Shiki-Jitsu are the two Anno films that people's mileage varies on. (I enjoy them both.)

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby KRandMJ » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:58 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Who let the 1998 imposter on that chart. :mayano:

If they showed the 2014 version; I don't see the big deal with having the 1998 version. At least Godzilla's Son isn't in the picture.
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:35 am

View Original PostKRandMJ wrote:If they showed the 2014 version; I don't see the big deal with having the 1998 version. At least Godzilla's Son isn't in the picture.

I gotta admit, even the 2014 version looks grossly out of place on that chart. I mean, the others all look like Godzilla, but the 1998 and 2014 versions just look weird, man.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:36 pm

Given that Anno seems to have raised the bar as high as it can possibly go, what do you suppose this will mean for G films that come afterward?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:58 pm

Some updates on an International release of Godzilla Resurgence. North America and Europe have been mentioned, but no distribution studio or release date has been named yet.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:20 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^ I disagree. NTE is at least as good as Terminators 1 & 2, and I don't consider those bad movies. Cutie Honey and Shiki-Jitsu are the two Anno films that people's mileage varies on. (I enjoy them both.)

Can you elaborate on the comparison with Terminator? :P
I feel 3.0 is as good as NGE.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:14 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Given that Anno seems to have raised the bar as high as it can possibly go, what do you suppose this will mean for G films that come afterward?

We will get a trend of making G into some metaphorical symbol that no one really understands because it's "so high art". Just wait for it:

Higurashi style Godzilla. Is kaju real or just illusion? Either way people will die gruesomely for your entertainment.

Magical girl Godzilla. Now in fancy fuku.

And from there we will get Madoka styled Godzilla, with more mindfuck and angst. Hey, maybe even Godzilla will show up in the movie.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:16 am

I was referring to budget and sfx, not writing

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:25 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I gotta admit, even the 2014 version looks grossly out of place on that chart. I mean, the others all look like Godzilla, but the 1998 and 2014 versions just look weird, man.

Well of course the 2014 version is going to look weird on any list, I mean, how do you put a ghost on a list like that? Dude didn't even show up for his own movie.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:35 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Can you elaborate on the comparison with Terminator? :P
I feel 3.0 is as good as NGE.

The James Cameron Terminator films were memorable sci-fi action films that attempt to prevent the apocalypse while having some solid character development. The characters were strong, the world was interesting and imaginative, the scripts were engaging, the threats felt real and evolved with each new film, and the films explored a wide range of emotions. It's not a one-to-one comparison, but they have enough similarities in structure and quality that I think they're apt comparisons of one another.

Eva Q certainly found the spirit of NGE, but at that point I felt like the comparison between the TV show and these movies were more like comparing apples to oranges. They're both good, but in entirely different ways.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:37 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:how do you put a ghost on a list like that? Dude didn't even show up for his own movie.

Except he did. Not for as much as most would want, but enough to satisfy this viewer

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:02 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Except he did. Not for as much as most would want, but enough to satisfy this viewer

About as much as most of the Showa-era films, as it happens. In fact, there are nine Showa-era films (including both of the Mechagodzilla films) that give him even less screen time than the Legendary film does!

As a point of interest, the Showa-era film that gave him the most screen time? Godzilla vs. Hedorah, nigh-universally regarded as the worst of the lot.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:18 am

I think you're referring to Godzilla's revenge

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:45 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:I think you're referring to Godzilla's revenge

Heh. Fair point. Second worst, then!

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:14 pm

I dunno. I heard that movie has its fans

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:20 pm

Hedorah can be an amusing train wreck to watch from time to time. Revenge is pure misery disguised under the most awesome title ever.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:36 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:I dunno. I heard that movie has its fans

Well, apart from Revenge pretty much all of them do.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:07 pm

Vs Hedorah as far as I can tell is agreed by most people to be the most unique & inventive of the lot and even possibly the most of the entire series.
The final battle being a little drawn out & Godzilla flying are truly the only notably bad parts. Vs Megalon is much more shappy tbh.

Vs Hedorah reused the least stock footage of the 70s films before Mechagodzilla, had a ton of monster screen time, a very very different villain monster compared to what Toho had ever done before with a much more indepth origin. Fun hippy cast, a kid character who wasn't violently annoying, some of the most unnerving human deaths of the franchise, the first political/humanitarian message since 1954, Hedorah's early scenes in the harbor absorbing smog from the smoke stacks is genuinely surreal and almost menacing.

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”