Forum Wackiness [Alerts Only]

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:51 am

I didn't change anything since Saturday morning.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:13 pm

I can't change my avatar in my profile. Whenever I hit the submit button it takes me to the log-in screen. I tried several times, and my avatar is within the 125x125 size limit.
[Redacted]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:23 pm

I think sometimes for forums, if you have the image be a different extension type (.png instead of .jpg) that could do the trick.

Makes me a little sad to hear because I love your avatar, it suits you well!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:29 pm

Thank you, this one will be back soon. I'm just going with a Fallout-themed avatar until Fallout 4 is released. I'll try converting my new avatar to a .png file and see if that works.

*Edit* Nope, still isn't working.
[Redacted]

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:08 pm

You're connecting from 2 different IPs, when that happens your session needs to be renewed.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:41 pm

Huh, I don't know how I managed to do that. Anyhow it's working now, thank you.
[Redacted]

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:41 pm

Several times today, the site would load the front page of the forums very slowly, and then log me out for no reason. Upon logging back in, it marks all posts as having been read. I've been checking the box to stay logged in as well; it's very annoying.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:25 am

It's been very slow in general for me too. not sure what's up.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:27 am

It logged me off automatically again, but at least i can still see what's unread.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:56 pm

I've noticed that too, at the moment it seems to be running normally though.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:43 pm

On occasion, mainly when using the search feature, Chrome will say it doesn't like the security certificate.
/hj

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:49 pm

Because the cert is self-signed, that's pretty much bound to happen. But a paid-for certificate would be a substantial extra cost in running the site.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:22 am

How do you guys stay logged in? Because I get logged out several times a day, even if I tick the checkbox on the login screen. It started behaving like this about two months ago; before that, everything was normal.

And no, I'm not logging in from multiple computers, nor do I disconnect my computer.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:31 am

I don't close my browser, is all. On two of my machines restarting the browser brings me back logged in, and on the third it doesn't; I don't know why.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:21 am

I don't close my browser either. Merely refreshing the page a few hours later logs me out.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:52 am

That happens to me using IE, Chrome, and Safari on iOS. I haven't had it happen using Firefox on my machine at home.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:07 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:I don't close my browser either. Merely refreshing the page a few hours later logs me out.

It's because your IP changes. Your session is tied to an IP address, so when that changes you need to refresh your session. During an active session (this is different than the cookie that resides on your browser), changing IPs will automatically refresh the session, but when that session is inactive and your IP changes, the browser thinks the session is still there because you have your browser cookie, but when it gets sent to the server the IP is different and you're kicked to the login screen.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:47 am

That matches my experience, in that both my desktops (home and work) have fixed public IPs, whereas my laptop gets allocated a variable address from the DHCP pool.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:44 pm

A corrupted cookie can also cause this behaviour.

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby amitakartok » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:35 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:It's because your IP changes. Your session is tied to an IP address, so when that changes you need to refresh your session. During an active session (this is different than the cookie that resides on your browser), changing IPs will automatically refresh the session, but when that session is inactive and your IP changes, the browser thinks the session is still there because you have your browser cookie, but when it gets sent to the server the IP is different and you're kicked to the login screen.

Then why did this never happen up until about two months ago?

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”