Groupthink on the Boards?

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:43 pm

Reichu wrote:I'm so used to hearing it that "Child" sounds wrong to me. :lol:

Quoted For Truth.

Personally, I think Children should stay. Gainax/various scoures say that it's NOT a translation error; it's simply being used akin to the word "Qualifier". If worst comes to worse, I say we should just have a poll for this in the Invisible Forum.

Also, Lilith, Adam & the Evas should stay as "she" since they are Mother Beings and or referred to that way in the show. (Plus calling Lilith and Adam "she" will make it clear that any of that Pointless Religious Symbolism bullcrap about "Adam's first wife"/Adam and Lilith made the Angels together is BS.)

But again, if we have to, let's vote on this too, once the Project is jumpstarted again.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:45 pm

There is no Invisible Forum!
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:53 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Personally, I think Children should stay. Gainax/various scoures say that it's NOT a translation error; it's simply being used akin to the word "Qualifier". If worst comes to worse, I say we should just have a poll for this in the Invisible Forum.

Nah, it's confusing and jarring. Using what will appear to be incredibly poor English will confuse the fans who aren't aware of this (which will be those who've watched it dubbed, and subbed by ADV).

Also, Lilith, Adam & the Evas should stay as "she" since they are Mother Beings and or referred to that way in the show. (Plus calling Lilith and Adam "she" will make it clear that any of that Pointless Religious Symbolism bullcrap about "Adam's first wife"/Adam and Lilith made the Angels together is BS.)

They are "mother beings" in the sense that the aliens in some cheesy 60's B-movie are launched from the "mother ship". That's my interpretation of it, anyway. I know I don't have stone-written 'facts' on my side, but neither do you and you should acknowledge this.

But again, if we have to, let's vote on this too, once the Project is jumpstarted again.

What's there to vote on? It's not a fact that Adam is female, it's not for us to decide. It should be left up to the readers of the Evapedia to decide, considering it's open to interpretation.
I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf mutes.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:02 pm

V wrote:There is no Invisible Forum!

I mean it's Invisible to everybody else except for the people working on the Project. :P

CitizenGeek wrote:What's there to vote on?

Those of us who work on the Evapedia need to figure out if these terms stay or go.

Also: "Wareware no haha". Haha=Mother. I'm not saying that Adam is female as a gender, but that fact she's called a mother makes her a Mother being.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:13 pm

@SSD

What is the first rule of Fight Club?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:35 pm

Can I join, Tines-ojisan?

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSE???? :)
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:45 pm

Mr. Tines wrote:What is the first rule of Fight Club?

Shoot first and don't miss.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:45 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Also: "Wareware no haha". Haha=Mother. I'm not saying that Adam is female as a gender, but that fact she's called a mother makes her a Mother being.

Adam is referred to as "mother" once, but this is just another, more poetic, way of saying "progenitor" (Adam is, indeed, called the progenitor of life for the Angels in the series). The fact not one person on the Evapedia has seen fit to acknowledge this makes me doubt the impartiality of the project (which was in doubt, to begin with).

THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:Can I join, Tines-ojisan?

What's with the Japanese honorifics? :roll:

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:54 pm

CitizenGeek wrote:
THE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:Can I join, Tines-ojisan?

What's with the Japanese honorifics? :roll:

It's an Eva Monkey Forum's thing. Just roll with it Geek-kun. :wink:
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:25 pm

Steve wrote:@SSD What is the first rule of Fight Club?

Um, I haven't seen the movie, but I believe it's "Don't talk about Fight Club"?
And I wasn't aware that the rule applies here. ;)

To add to what Trilink said, "Ojisan" (Uncle, not "Grandpa (Ojiisan)", right? :lol:) is Tines' nickname around these parts.

@ Hal: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=114874#114874

Edit: typo.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:29 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:(Uncle, not "grandpa", right? :lol:)

Correct.

TriLink12 wrote:It's a weeaboo thing.

Fixed.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

V
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby V » Fri Nov 02, 2007 10:11 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:

I mean it's Invisible to everybody else except for the people working on the Project. :P

There is no Invisible Forum which the grunts cannot see! That is a slanderous and unfounded rumor! :shifty:
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:24 pm

If there is a problem now, it's that we are using these terms without proper explaination. So:

In my view, the best solution for all this is to write an FAQ page for the Evapedia.

1. Q: Why do you call Adam, Lilith and the Evas "she".

A: Blah, blah, blah.........

2. Q: Why do you use "Children" instead of "Child?

A: Blah, blah, blah.........

ect.

We could conclude answer #1 with "...thus we have concluded that they are likely female, and refer to them as such, but you are free to look at this evidence and make up your own minds."

I see no problem with continuing the current practice as long as we explain ourselves and let people know that they are free to disagree.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:29 pm

I suspect that wouldn't eliminate the sense of "group think", particularly with regard to the remarkably touchy "gender" subject.

Unless you're one of those who agree with the "she" thing or have otherwise gotten accustomed to the convention, there's a high probability you'll interpret the omnipresent pronouns as pushing a particular viewpoint, and doing it on a part of the site that is supposed to be "fact before theory". Accordingly, it damages our overall credibility; it's easy ammunition for controversy that we really don't need.

I'm not entirely sure why the pronouns have the potency they do, but, at this point, I'll happily abandon them in the 'pedia and such to avoid dealing with the same tiresome shitstorm ad infinitum. Endless arguments surrounding the "she" thing can get immortalized in a T&A page, and that'll be that.

In closing, I wouldn't mind if this discussion stopped being a reiteration of a small and quirky issue that's received ludicrously extensive coverage elsewhere and went back to the main point.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:56 pm

"Children" is a really annoying term. It is Engrish, but not in a usual, flat-out erroneous way; the anomalous form is used for a reason (assuming that explanation wasn't a retcon), but of course, that won't stop it from causing a lolwhat-effect in native speakers of English (something the original writers probably didn't consider much).

ADV did the right thing when they chose a domesticating approach in their translation: subtitles have very short time frames which do not allow lolwhat-words that force the reader to stop and backtrack. The FGP pages, on the other hand, have a different format and serve a completely different textual function and thus allow more foreignizing elements to be used.

I don't have strong feelings about this one way or the other, and my opinions don't carry much weight anyway because I'm not a native English speaker, but I think Wayne's approach is a reasonable compromise: maintain "children", but use it sparingly and with links to an FAQ.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:50 pm

Reichu wrote:Unless you're one of those who agree with the "she" thing or have otherwise gotten accustomed to the convention, there's a high probability you'll interpret the omnipresent pronouns as pushing a particular viewpoint, and doing it on a part of the site that is supposed to be "fact before theory". Accordingly, it damages our overall credibility; it's easy ammunition for controversy that we really don't need.

Yes, well said.

It's not that I have a problem with the 'Angels being female' theory itself, I'm actually quite open to discussing and altering my opinion on it - however, pushing it as fact on what is supposed to be an Evangelion resource is not right. It's the principal rather than the specific issue.

In closing, I wouldn't mind if this discussion stopped being a reiteration of a small and quirky issue that's received ludicrously extensive coverage elsewhere and went back to the main point.

So, is something going to be done about the "she" stuff?

I must admit that I like thewayneiac's idea of a FAQ and I completely agree with Dr. Nick on the subject of the "children" issue.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:08 pm

CitizenGeek wrote:It's not that I have a problem with the 'Angels being female' theory itself <snip>

It's just the Evas, Lilith, and Adam that are subject to the treatment. Additionally, calling something "she" does not necessarily mean something is female in a biological sense; those who use it on the Evas, etc., do not have a unified position on the matter. It's evident, however, that it can't even be used as an informal convention without seeding "shit clouds" -- which I find disappointing, but oh well.

I've already said at least twice -- earlier in the thread -- that this is bound to change. (Not sure why those posts escaped so much notice considering the amounts of joy they should have inspired, but...) I'll probably end up plowing through the current FGP administrative hangups next week just so I don't have to hear another word about this (except from those unhappy about the change, that is...).

Anything else about pronouns and I'll start neutering people en masse.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby CitizenGeek » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:36 pm

Reichu wrote:I've already said at least twice -- earlier in the thread -- that this is bound to change. (Not sure why those posts escaped so much notice considering the amounts of joy they should have inspired, but...)

It's probably because you're being so indirect about it - "bound to change" .....

It's just the Evas, Lilith, and Adam that are subject to the treatment.

I look forward to that changing :]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:37 pm

I agree with thewayneiac's point about what we could do with the aforementioned topics.

Back on the actual topic however....

Personally I don't see how "groupthink" IS much of a problem when people are going to think whatever they want to about Eva anyway. As long as we give a NPOV and reasons why with all the various things in the Evapedia, I think what we have is okay.

Either way, since things ARE bound to change with terms/etc on the site, people shouldn't be making a big deal about how things currently are. I think they're forgetting this site is HEAVILY under construction and NOWHERE NEAR the finished product yet. :roll:

(btw, apparently Ornette worked on the Site's Constitution the other day.)

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:55 pm

V wrote:
Sailor Star Dust wrote:

There is no Invisible Forum which the grunts cannot see! That is a slanderous and unfounded rumor! :shifty:

oh hell. Now I want to work on it.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”