Third Impact Has Arrived

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Re: Third Impact Has Arrived

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:26 am

I agree that it feels cluttered. It seems harder to read than it was before. I don't have the original to look at for a side-by-side comparison, of course, but it feels like there more contrasting lines between items in the thread/subforum indices, and stuff is more cramped. It seems harder to read the thread list at a glance and see what topics look interesting or have new posts. Not impossible, but it requires more effort for something that I could previously quickly skim over without much thought.

Also yes, the wall of animating smileys.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:01 pm

Two other things I'm noticing: I keep getting logged out of the forum every time I come back, even though I'm checking the Remember Me checkbox, and the nice readable URLs for subforums and threads like forum/anime/ or post/787615/Fic-Crying-Man/ no longer work, with just thread/subforum ID numbers being used instead.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:11 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote: (which has faded from memory as to exactly why it was a deadline)
Two years hosting paid in December 2013.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:15 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed#819175 wrote:This is not even our final form.

Based on what I saw, I don't want see what that looks like. I'm sorry, but I don't think I can get used to this. Isn't there some way you can run the old version parallel to this version?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:28 pm

View Original Postcyharding#819189 wrote:Based on what I saw, I don't want see what that looks like. I'm sorry, but I don't think I can get used to this. Isn't there some way you can run the old version parallel to this version?

That's asking the impossible. Changing the forum software isn't just changing the user-facing interface, the entire database is either a different version now or had to be ported to different software entirely.
In either case, this means that to somehow run them both at the same time, two entirely separate forum databases would need to exist, and someone would need to write a program to always have running on the server alongside the two of them, which would somehow automatically take any new posts, thread moves, deletions, PMs, new user signups, and literally every other possible thing that can happen on the forum, and immediately ports them over to the other database so they stay in sync with each other.

So... no.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:14 pm

If that's the case, then it's best to return to the old interface. This scene from Lost explains my feelings the best.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:24 pm

While reading Reichu's Crying Man I've noticed that the quotation marks have been replaced with "â". Something else has been replaced with "¦", I think they were commas originally. Possibly an encoding issue? Hopefully it can be fixed on the database side rather than anyone needing to manually edit their posts.

Example post containing the problems (inside the spoiler tag): viewtopic.php?f=28&t=17284&start=20

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:50 pm

Not only that, but "é" for "é" -- i.e. UTF-8 read as ISO-Latin-1.

And it's quotes and em-dashes both flattened to â -- lossy conversion sucks.
The ¦ was probably an ellipsis

And coding issues have wrecked Ornette's .sig as well.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:54 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:While reading Reichu's Crying Man I've noticed that the quotation marks have been replaced with "â". Something else has been replaced with "¦", I think they were commas originally. Possibly an encoding issue? Hopefully it can be fixed on the database side rather than anyone needing to manually edit their posts.

Example post containing the problems (inside the spoiler tag): viewtopic.php?f=28&t=17284&start=20

That's probably a style issue in the original text. I haven't noticed any issues with the Ghosts chapters I've looked at, and they're all in plain text.

All the links are still hosed, though.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:22 pm

I can't stay logged in, if I close the tab I must log in again.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:58 pm

Forums on mobile (my iPhone) look strange to me so I guess EGF's no exception. -o-;

LOVE the look via desktop though. Great job folks! :heart:

Will the info bar (Quick Links, FAQ, etc) eventually include a link to News/Front Page and Wiki? That Twitter widget at the bottom of threads would be good, too.

Little things I noticed: Forced log-in to view posts kinda sucks but is understandable given new software. Related, anyway to view in-posts the now absent social media (MAL, Twitter, etc) profile links? Had to manually add 'em under Profile. Puzzled why clicking MAL in the control panel 404's me. MAL's fine now. Just had to fix the way it was entered though oddly it was normal on PC, not the mobile.

Edit the second: Oh lawdy, I can FINALLY view my embarrassing first 1000-something posts in the look-up section.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:45 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Forced log-in to view posts kinda sucks
I just fired up a different browser and was able to read these posts -- being recorded as "Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest" and in the "who is online" as

Code: Select all

Guest IP: <my IP> » Whois   
Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; MSIE 9.0; Windows NT 6.0; Trident/5.0)    Reading topic in Evageeks.org News and Feedback    Wed Dec 02, 2015 20:43 UTC

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:31 pm

Looks nice. ^^

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:43 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I disabled it as soon as Donut mentioned it, figuring we should talk about any major new features with social implications before we just go and leave them on by default.

I don't think I would've been able to stay here (at EGF) if not for Tines' extension, so now having no way to block what grieves me... Either things will get ugly very fast, or I will be forced to actually LEAVE for my own psychological health. How's that for social implications?

I really hope the encoding issues get fixed, else we lose a substantial amount of data from the move. :um:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:49 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Tines' extension
Looks like I know what I'm doing this weekend.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:53 pm

View Original Postcyharding#819196#819196 wrote:If that's the case, then it's best to return to the old interface.

Not an option. The old forum was terribly out of date and patched in all sorts of custom ways over the years. With Ornette stepping back to focus on his new family we need to simplify, and modernizing to currently supported forumn software does the job. It also means we have tons of new options prebuilt and ready to install to improve how things run around here. This is just the beginning... Calling it evageeks' 3I was not an overstatement.

...but first we need to sort out any lingering bugs.

and yeah, I also think friend/foe should just be on. It's fairly standard forum tech in most places and not really controversial.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:15 pm

Would it not be possible to bring back some of the more simple look of the old forum at all? Right now everything feels cluttered in various ways, I can endure it but things that felt rather straightforward don't seem so now.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:34 pm

It's a lot more convenient on Mobile. Now I don't have to open a seperate window to use the emoticons.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:40 pm

Very much agreed, Ray; the mobile version is fantastic.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:50 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:Would it not be possible to bring back some of the more simple look of the old forum at all? Right now everything feels cluttered in various ways, I can endure it but things that felt rather straightforward don't seem so now.

The previous theme is not compatible for some reason, so it's having to be remade.

What looks cluttered to you? I'm not getting that part.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”