EGF: Has It Changed? How? [split]

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:20 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Yeah, i think that's consensus.

Thought so. I'm not really sure if that's comforting or not, but it is better to provoke reactions of "who?" than reactions of "I hate that fucker!" so there's that.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Monk Ed: Let's not jump the gun. I never said I think it's a problem that I would like to see resolved. at least, not for my own sake. I was just miffed by your comment about it being so awesome here[s]---[/s]more awesome than the chilled out school you loved dearly[s]---[/s]when so many people seem to be unhappy with so much. Even my at-least-two-fights-per-day-public-school didn't seem to have so many people moaning about someone or something.

I don't think there is a problem with disagreements at all. Rather, I think it's a problem when people act like it's a problem. I can only express my opinion and it's seen as "not letting things go" or "taking it personally". As far as I can see though, it's just about all there is to do in a place like this. Express your own opinion and disagree with those who disagree - whatever it be.

It seems that just the act of telling someone you think they're wrong, after they've told someone else (or ourselves) they're wrong, seems to be met with the attitude that you have it out for them, or have something to prove. Mild annoyance, somewhat humorous, but it doesn't really matter. It was the nature of the place when I turned up, and I imagine it will be the nature of the place when I leave.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:30 pm

Anyone who finds themselves mad about the Internet needs to step away and undertake a period of intense meditation.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:38 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Anyone who finds themselves mad about the Internet needs to step away and undertake a period of intense meditation.

My own recent misadventures in cyberspace give me the authority to say that Chuckman is absolutely right. The internet is a wonderful creation, but it also trivializes everything.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:49 pm

Just so we're clear, I never said I was mad about anything. Mild annoyance would be an "ugh" response.
Last edited by Sorrow on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:07 am

View Original PostTrajan wrote:On that note, I've thought about asking to join an EvaGeeks chat occasionally but I never felt like I was involved in the community enough to get the full effect. And also time constraints.

It can be a fun way to form connections, but I'll add that it's usually more fun if you have a 'core' group of people that you usually interact with.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:37 am

I wouldn't worry about all that Skype nonsense. If people are using it to slander other posters, then whatever. If people really just wanted to form closer bonds with one another, then that's great. (ShinjidoggiesAsuka still texts me from time to time. You guys never come up.)

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:17 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Anyone who finds themselves mad about the Internet needs to step away and undertake a period of intense meditation.

Well I'm just a madman full stop, so being homocidally angry about the internet is par for the course for me.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

schwarzstahlhelm1993
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby schwarzstahlhelm1993 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:35 pm

There's so many chat groups for this community I've lost count. I even discovered like, two groups I didn't even know about (and that are dead).

It's not much of a big deal. The conversation is more raw and less sophisticated as in a forum. Immediate replies, all that, kinda like a natural conversation of course with the added emoticons and such. It may have led to friction between members, but then again, it's not like forum discussion doesn't lead to friction between members either. Just ask TDSA.

People gotta chill a bit more, though. Discussions are cool, and it's fine when they're serious. But people just take things so personally. And you gotta learn to deal with other people's views, even if they're not as "hip" as the ones you're used to. Shhh so what, someone thinks Rebuilds are the bestest thing ever because they got CGI in them? Or more off-topic, someone is against gay rights, or whatever. If you wanna discuss it, it's cool, better, because discussion keeps communities alive. Just don't expect the other guy to be apologetic or to quickly agree with your right off the bat, if ever. It'd be boring if everyone just agreed on everything.

[s:38qzfias]Also, Xard, if you already said all of this, then please ban me, sempai.[/s:38qzfias]

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:36 pm

We George Orwell now
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:38 pm

Well, i don't even know what to say. I don't even feel dissapointed or dejected given how ridiculous the thread turned at the end. It was a pleasure discussing about Waifus with the respect and rationale that characterizes you, EGF :lol:
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:43 pm

I'm not sure why that one escalated when we have had a waifu thread kicking around for many years, including star posts like Merri's on Saber.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:09 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I'm not sure why that one escalated when we have had a waifu thread kicking around for many years, including star posts like Merri's on Saber.

Presumably because relevant parties don't throw around insults and condescension in that thread.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Re: EGF: Has It Changed? How? [split]

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:10 pm

I was going to post this in Mr. Hodges thread but I found it inappropriate as it would inevitably lead off.

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:I like the idea of this, but i think a moderation team that consists of people with more diverse views would be desirable. I'd volunteer, but i'm barely on any forums anymore.

Same, it's Mr. Hodges forum, so he can do what he wants regarding mod makeup. I think the serious discussion subforum on EGF was a mistake to begin with, I unfortunately kinda predicted this would happen last time the idea was discussed and then it wasn't acted upon for a year, and then it was and it didn't even last a damn year. I'm not trying to rub Monk Ed's nose in this either, it's a sad situation that EGF has found itself in.

I'm afraid it's all a sign of the times, consciousness around politics has rapidly increased in the last 4 - 6 years, I can appreciate the dilemma that the EGF staff find themselves in, no doubt.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:20 pm

The more diverse views a moderation team includes, the harder it is to achieve a consensus and make it clear to the forum what is and isn't acceptable. While on the one hand having a bigger moderation team suggests that a fast response when needed will be easier to ensure, there can also be delays while the situation is discussed and the appropriate response agreed on.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:04 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:The more diverse views a moderation team includes, the harder it is to achieve a consensus and make it clear to the forum what is and isn't acceptable. While on the one hand having a bigger moderation team suggests that a fast response when needed will be easier to ensure, there can also be delays while the situation is discussed and the appropriate response agreed on.

In a serious discussion, moderators should really be doing their job, that is to keep discussions going in proper direction (no tangents) and discipline members when they violate procedure (verbal abuse, swearing, ganging up on opponents), a straightforward set of easy to follow rules helps, the ideas of the moderators themselves should not come into the equation unless they themselves decide to partake in the discussion, in which case they forfeit their status and should be moderated themselves until they disengage.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:41 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:I'm not trying to rub Monk Ed's nose in this either

:huh: Me? Wha?
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:49 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:a straightforward set of easy to follow rules helps

So, what constitutes "politics"? What level of swearing is acceptable or not (and bear in mind large differences in sensitivity between countries over some words)? Where is the line between criticism of an individual's ideas and a personal attack on them? These things all seem easy until you have to make a decision, and the staff have different views.

Moderation is not easy. Consistent moderation is even harder.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:13 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:In a serious discussion, moderators should really be doing their job, that is to keep discussions going in proper direction (no tangents) and discipline members when they violate procedure (verbal abuse, swearing, ganging up on opponents), a straightforward set of easy to follow rules helps, the ideas of the moderators themselves should not come into the equation unless they themselves decide to partake in the discussion, in which case they forfeit their status and should be moderated themselves until they disengage.

The problem being that that's a vague and mostly useless approach even when the moderators agree on the rules and their applicability at any given time, let alone when they don't. I mean, by your reckoning it would be a violation to have more than one person disagree with any given poster, since that would amount to "ganging up". So, if someone voices an unpopular opinion everyone who disagrees is muzzled and unable to respond, even if that "everyone" is the whole dang forum. That is no way to have a discussion.

Me, I am happy to leave moderation of serious discussion to the guy who's been doing exactly that for years now (i.e. over at Questionable Content, where he took an absolute shithole and turned it into a highly respected internet forum). If people disagree they are by no means compelled to join in the conversation, but I really don't see the point to second-guessing experience.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:54 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:So, what constitutes "politics"? What level of swearing is acceptable or not (and bear in mind large differences in sensitivity between countries over some words)? Where is the line between criticism of an individual's ideas and a personal attack on them? These things all seem easy until you have to make a decision, and the staff have different views.

Moderation is not easy. Consistent moderation is even harder.

Politics is a hard one, it encroaches into everything, by having a serious discussion, you will always end up hitting politics. One can get by without swearing at their opponents in an in depth discussion. Also political discussions have always had notoriety for that very act of personal attack, while it's disagreeable, it's an inevitability, regarding the sensitivity:
View Original PostBagheera wrote:If people disagree they are by no means compelled to join in the conversation

You cannot appease every being, it's an impossibility.

Yes, adhering to rules can be hard, to take an example, say the speaker of the house in any parliament, they can have differing views on what is being discussed, this does not mean he/she can tear up the rule book, bend or disregard it, they are performing a vital role in that house, becaue they are moderating the discussion.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I mean, by your reckoning it would be a violation to have more than one person disagree with any given poster, since that would amount to "ganging up". So, if someone voices an unpopular opinion everyone who disagrees is muzzled and unable to respond, even if that "everyone" is the whole dang forum. That is no way to have a discussion.

No, I'm sorry, you are mistaken, I apologise for being vague on the ganging up point, what I mean to say is dogpiling your opponents with half of the forum is an unwarranted gesture, but seeing it the way you have put it, no regulation to that regard might be good.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote::huh: Me? Wha?

Hah, I dropped myself in that one, my apologies.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”