Anyone else really dislike the live action sequence in EoE?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

MJHx
Embryo

Anyone else really dislike the live action sequence in EoE?

•      
  •      

Postby MJHx » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:47 am

I cannot stand it, personally... Whenever I watch EoE my belief is well and truly suspended right up until that scene begins and then, in an instant, I feel like I've left the narrative and come right back to reality. It just really irks me whenever I watch the film... Although, part of me thinks the scene is setup to do just that.

Anyone else feel the same way?
It just keeps tumbling down, tumbling down, tumbling down...

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:57 am

Fortunately, that was the point of the sequence.

I thought it was fantastic. I haven't seen another animated film that does anything like it.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:59 am

For me it's probably my favorite sequence in the film - if I'm ever able to name just one.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:20 pm

I love the live action stuff, I think it provides a real world context and helps make it all relate-able. The only thing I dislike is that one gangsta dude in the theater that's all like "YO. LOOK AT ME. IMMA TURN MY HAND SIDEWAYS LIKE A GLOCK AND WIGGLE MAH THUMB. YEAH MOTHA FUCKA". That guy is an asshole. He totally ruins the shot.

MJHx
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MJHx » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:32 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I love the live action stuff, I think it provides a real world context and helps make it all relate-able. The only thing I dislike is that one gangsta dude in the theater that's all like "YO. LOOK AT ME. IMMA TURN MY HAND SIDEWAYS LIKE A GLOCK AND WIGGLE MAH THUMB. YEAH MOTHA FUCKA". That guy is an asshole. He totally ruins the shot.

I HATE that guy!!!!! :asuka_geh:

See, this is one of the reasons why I don't like the scene... It's just so visually jarring, to the point where I can't keep my belief suspended...

Interesting to see that so far I'm in the minority on this one, though.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:38 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:That guy is an asshole. He totally ruins the shot.

Oh, whatever. You know you'd have done the same thing.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:43 pm

I love it, especially because of the music choice.

MJHx
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MJHx » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:46 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:I love it, especially because of the music choice.

The music in EoE (and the series in general) is nothing short of incredible, really.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:20 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Oh, whatever. You know you'd have done the same thing.

I would have rotoscoped him out and replaced him with Kool-Aid Man.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:11 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I would have rotoscoped him out and replaced him with Kool-Aid Man.

I feel like I could make a tang joke somehow but it just keeps slipping away from me.

In all seriousness though, I kind of dislike the live-action sequence. I get what the point of it is - that Shinji's world is a construct and our world is a construct and both are a dream to those outside them, who nonetheless waste their lives on the world they don't live in - but I feel like it could have been expressed just as well in animation. The live-action sequence just seems...sloppily filmed, I suppose. Without Anno's usual directorial ability. He has made an actual live-action movie, hasn't he? Was the direction any good in that?
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

I can't even imagine watching it in IMAX. *swoon*

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:12 pm

I think the live action sequence must've lost a lot of its impact in the transition from movie theatre to TV/computer screen. It just seems like one of those things you have to see in the right context and in the right setting for it to really connect and blow you away. As it stands now, I think it's just kind of distracting. It would've been quite the experience to watch EoE in a theatre, though. I live for the day.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:03 pm

Live action sequence was the crown jewel among Anno's beyond genius moves in End of Evangelion.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:01 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I love the live action stuff, I think it provides a real world context and helps make it all relate-able. The only thing I dislike is that one gangsta dude in the theater that's all like "YO. LOOK AT ME. IMMA TURN MY HAND SIDEWAYS LIKE A GLOCK AND WIGGLE MAH THUMB. YEAH MOTHA FUCKA". That guy is an asshole. He totally ruins the shot.

I've never noticed him.

He's now my favorite character.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

SpacemanSchmuck
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SpacemanSchmuck » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:15 pm

I love the live action sequence! Some really beautiful cinematography pairs well with the score. The cat is my favorite character there. Reminds me of Anno's character in FLCL.
"This time, I will definitely make you happy."
---
Yes, I have watched Evangelion, the series and all four movies, at least thirty times in the past ten years. Some of it much more than that.

I just want to say I'm not very active in this forum because I get WAY too passionate about Eva and my opinions and theories and I know it, and I don't want to get carried away and start flamewars. It's (not) what I really want to do. ha ;)
http://www.recklessillumination.org

soda7777777
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby soda7777777 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:26 pm

I dislike the part they cut out. With the voice actors playing their characters. It just seemed to throw me off. Otherwise I'm fine with the live action sequence.
"If, by groupie, you mean someone who follows the band around and hangs out at all the gigs, then I don't really have any of those. Being in a band that does well is almost like being a girl. " - Paul Banks

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:12 pm

Probably one of my favorite scenes...ever. I wish I could have seen it in the theater when it had come out and I wish I could see it again for the first time. That scene just comes in perfectly in the right place at the right time. When I first watched it, I was like "What the hell is this? What's going on?". The funny part for me was that it reminded me of the "Relax-o-vision" gag in Freakazoid, where if something horrible happened, they would replace it with nice music and images. The "Komm, Susser Tod" sequence had just passed and I just felt absolutely horrible and than that comes in and it was like the movie was just giving you the middle finger. Not to mention that the caption that appears onscreen ("Does it feel good?") in spanish, it looked like it was asking you: "Do you feel good?" (They are written the same way). And I was like: No.

But I really found it to be a very emotional sequence. All those beautiful, simple images. And at the time, I wasn't that sure of the context and I thought: "Wow, now that's all gone..."

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Without Anno's usual directorial ability. He has made an actual live-action movie, hasn't he? Was the direction any good in that?

Love and Pop is superbly directed, IMO. It kinda looks like crap, but I think that was the intention and the cinematography is wacky and expermental. I wish the story and characters were more interesting.

Shiki-Jitsu (Ritual) is a much better film and I think that it allows that Anno doesn't need to be experimental to make a great film. Beautifully shot, beatifully edited, with great art direction. He really does know how to direct actors too. He really gets very natural, beliveable performances out of them in both films.

I haven't seen his live action Cutie Honey, but I've heard it's basically a piece of fluff.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:40 pm

^ Fuck yeah! Finally someone other than Xard and me who loves Love & Pop's form. :lol: The film's form is simply too hard to take in if you watch it only once - even if you understand that it was intended to be that way. As for the content, it's far from NGE-level DEEP, but it's still very sufficient on its own. Enjo kosai turned into a tale of self-discovery and social pressure. Shiki-Jitsu is one of the greatest films ever made. Cutie Honey is a must-watch, too. It has more camp value than anything else ever made - and it's surprisingly moving yet honest in its climax.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Gamer137
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Gamer137 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:59 pm

I sort of fell out of the movie during that chapter as well. Maybe that was the point, but I could not help but feel bored during it.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:47 pm

I can write volumes as to how the live-action sequence in EoE is stunning and perhaps the centerpiece of the film...

But I just wrote a 2188 word essay on Gojira for the new film blog, and am presently all worn out. Just trust me when I say that the scene puts all of the ideas of the TV series of running away from reality into one final thought and puts it to rest for the character.

As a matter of fact, don't trust me when I say that. I think you'll find much pleasure in finding it out for yourself. Watch episodes 1, 3, 4, 14, 16, 20, 22-26, and then watch the lice action sequence again. If you still don't like it, than you'll at least understand it and your liking or not liking it will simply be a matter of preference. Which okay by me. Believe me, I didn't like it the first time the series pulled the rug from under my feet like that either, no matter how much of it I understood.

But just to let you know, the gang bangin' Japanese dude has nothing to do with understanding it. :wink:

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:37 am

View Original PostOz wrote:^ Fuck yeah! Finally someone other than Xard and me who loves Love & Pop's form. :lol: The film's form is simply too hard to take in if you watch it only once - even if you understand that it was intended to be that way. As for the content, it's far from NGE-level DEEP, but it's still very sufficient on its own. Enjo kosai turned into a tale of self-discovery and social pressure. Shiki-Jitsu is one of the greatest films ever made. Cutie Honey is a must-watch, too. It has more camp value than anything else ever made - and it's surprisingly moving yet honest in its climax.

I'm seriously considering watching Love and Pop again. The film does have some scenes that really do stay with you and I LOVE the end credits. Shiki-Jitsu is one that I'll definitely watch again someday.

I think I'll check out Cutie Honey too, just for fun and get an Anno fix from here until I can watch Q.

I really hope Anno gets to make more films. Both anime and live-action.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”