Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Joseki
Bardiel
Bardiel
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 793
Joined: Dec 27, 2016
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Joseki » Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:58 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:But that would be a predestination paradox. Her going back in time and saying she is their daughter leads to her conception. By trying to avoid the paradox, they create the paradox.


Yeah but Asuka isn't an expert in time paradoxes, that's more Shinji's camp (and of course he isn't going to contradict Asuka).
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017

DarkBluePhoenix
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 1420
Joined: Aug 01, 2016
Location: Stuck between the Best of Both Worlds
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:02 pm

^ Who would when they're about to get some? But would that be in Shinji's wheelhouse? Is he a BTTF fan?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1024
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:48 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ Who would when they're about to get some? But would that be in Shinji's wheelhouse? Is he a BTTF fan?


Its get worse as if Mari is say intersex she could in fact be her own mother as this scenario was played out in the film Predestination which is about the predestination paradox where you can in essence be your own mother or father or be both and its really messed up. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_(film)
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

ACGT-Samael
Lilith
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 143
Joined: Mar 16, 2018
Location: Canada
Gender: Male

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ACGT-Samael » Fri May 04, 2018 1:00 pm

Somebody suggested to me the bizarre theory that all the scenes with the Evas and Angels are metaphors in-universe and don't actually happen; they're just a dramatized version of Shinji's own mental struggles. This apparently also extends to both versions of Instrumentality.

Said theory came from the same guy who told me Eva is solely a character psychology story, and said any discussion of the scifi elements of the show is missing the point and therefore you're wrong for doing it. Obvious self contradiction aside, not sure how I feel about theories that involve treating in-universe events as not real without any indication within the show that it should be so.

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1024
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri May 04, 2018 3:12 pm

View Original PostACGT-Samael wrote:Somebody suggested to me the bizarre theory that all the scenes with the Evas and Angels are metaphors in-universe and don't actually happen; they're just a dramatized version of Shinji's own mental struggles. This apparently also extends to both versions of Instrumentality.

Said theory came from the same guy who told me Eva is solely a character psychology story, and said any discussion of the scifi elements of the show is missing the point and therefore you're wrong for doing it. Obvious self contradiction aside, not sure how I feel about theories that involve treating in-universe events as not real without any indication within the show that it should be so.


Suddenly I'm reminded of that really lame Buffy episode called Normal Again which totally undermined the whole series by saying Buffy is in reality some one in a mental wards padded room living out the adventures in her head meaning that all the people she helped were never helped all the people she saved never happened all the best friends she met never happened ether...your friends theory is basically saying the same thing about Shinji and its a tragic concept.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

ACGT-Samael
Lilith
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 143
Joined: Mar 16, 2018
Location: Canada
Gender: Male

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ACGT-Samael » Fri May 04, 2018 3:18 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Suddenly I'm reminded of that really lame Buffy episode called Normal Again which totally undermined the whole series by saying Buffy is in reality some one in a mental wards padded room living out the adventures in her head meaning that all the people she helped were never helped all the people she saved never happened all the best friends she met never happened ether...your friends theory is basically saying the same thing about Shinji and its a tragic concept.


Wouldn't exactly call him a friend so much as "a guy I talk to" but basically yes. In addition though, it kind of insults your audience by telling them that thing they liked wasn't real even within the show.

I'm fairly certain he has a vested interest in believing this theory since he's one of those people who only likes really cerebral and psychology heavy fiction. I imagine if he ever wrote something it'd be more like a think piece than an actual story.

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1024
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri May 04, 2018 3:25 pm

View Original PostACGT-Samael wrote:Wouldn't exactly call him a friend so much as "a guy I talk to" but basically yes. In addition though, it kind of insults your audience by telling them that thing they liked wasn't real even within the show.

I'm fairly certain he has a vested interest in believing this theory since he's one of those people who only likes really cerebral and psychology heavy fiction. I imagine if he ever wrote something it'd be more like a think piece than an actual story.


The only way I could see someone writing that is if they say Shinji is having mental episodes and drawing it out on paper in the presence of his friends Rei (Could be his sister depending on your view point) Asuka, Kaworu, Toji, Hikari and Kensuke and there all playing out the roles to help him get through it hopping that he'll break back in to reality because at least then unlike the Buffy episode the reward at the end is being embraced by his friends.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

ACGT-Samael
Lilith
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 143
Joined: Mar 16, 2018
Location: Canada
Gender: Male

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ACGT-Samael » Fri May 04, 2018 3:29 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:The only way I could see someone writing that is if they say Shinji is having mental episodes and drawing it out on paper in the presence of his friends Rei (Could be his sister depending on your view point) Asuka, Kaworu, Toji, Hikari and Kensuke and there all playing out the roles to help him get through it hopping that he'll break back in to reality because at least then unlike the Buffy episode the reward at the end is being embraced by his friends.



...so basket by turning the series into Shutter Island. It's a neat idea for sure, but I'm not sure how well it'd actually pan out.

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1024
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri May 04, 2018 4:21 pm

View Original PostACGT-Samael wrote:...so basket by turning the series into Shutter Island. It's a neat idea for sure, but I'm not sure how well it'd actually pan out.


Nether would I and its not something I'd try writing I think it needs a way better writer than I am to do it, because that is some real hard psychological stuff to pull off and to make the ending pay off right.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

fukuda
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 36
Joined: Dec 23, 2017
Contact:

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby fukuda » Fri May 04, 2018 7:50 pm

At first I thought it was literally its title and was trying to piece the story together with biblical consistency. I'd like to see someone try winding everything together using all the symbolism and see what they could make of it.
Could an Evangelion become Obese? - VUX

ACGT-Samael
Lilith
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 143
Joined: Mar 16, 2018
Location: Canada
Gender: Male

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ACGT-Samael » Sat May 26, 2018 9:38 pm

Here's an interesting one for you... Somebody I spoke to recently interpreted Kaworu (and to a lesser extent Rei) as an allegory for gender dysphoria. The long and short of it is they both seem to express a certain level of unhappiness based on a feeling of being in the "wrong" body, since their souls being in a body that's mismatched with their souls is unconsciously affecting their self-image and such. I will note it's not uncommon for people to see parallels to issues close to them in various works, but I thought this one was worth sharing.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma
Posts: 23001
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Lost in Bat Country
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Sun May 27, 2018 1:15 am

I'll happily make the argument that in Kaworu's case, it isn't even allegory. :nyao: (NGE version of Kaworu only. The manga version surgically stripped away every last tell in the original down to the breasts on the statue, and with the NTE version we barely know what's going on with anyone or anything SO...) Kinda wished the show had done more with this, since the implications are kind of fascinating. Both Rei and Kaworu are ancient goddesses who've been trapped in the bodies of Lilin children and had their souls actively molded by men of power. Of the two of them, the one that retained a female body was able to break free from servitude and reclaim her identity. Kaworu, on the other hand, chose to simply give up and die -- only getting another chance to influence the future because of Rei's rebellion. I've been asked many times by people unable or unwilling to drink the "Adam is a woman" Kool-Aid (one of my favorite drink mixes) WHY, if Adam actually is female, Seele would put her soul in a male body. Simple: control. Female generative power is treated as practically one of the most powerful forces in the universe in NGE. I can see a bunch of scared old men reasoning that, yes, this goddess that nearly blew up the world after getting knocked up in a sick transgenic experiment is going to be much less dangerous and much easier to mold into compliance with the Scenario(R) if those terrifying female organs are no longer exerting any influence. Sexist as fuck, check; steeped in mysticism, check. It didn't completely work, since Kaworu is basically a mom in bishounen's clothing; but, well, it worked well enough, didn't it?

Cosmo11
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 380
Joined: Jan 01, 2015
Location: Sydney
Gender: Male

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Cosmo11 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:28 am

I saw this one recently. The Rei that appears when Kaworu sees Lilith was Quantum Rei rather than Rei III.

barnett
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 21
Joined: Jan 09, 2018
Gender: Male

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby barnett » Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:16 am

It doesn't seem that crazy to me.

robersora
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 3559
Joined: May 17, 2011
Location: Europe, Austria
Gender: Male

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby robersora » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:18 am

Doesn't seem that crazy to me neither, lol. I'd even say it could to lead to perfectly plausible reading of the material.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Neepa
Embryo
Age: 19
Posts: 18
Joined: May 22, 2018
Location: Germany
Gender: Male

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Neepa » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:06 pm

A theory I had while watching the show.
The screen layout of the Entry Plug with the placement of the seams between the screens can be seen as multiple pairs of wings.

There was this shot somewhere in the show where you could see from the front towards the back of the plug with the seams lining up in such a fashion that it looks like the pilot has a pair(s) of wings.
These look something like the ones we then see in EoE.

Arcadia's legacy
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 1047
Joined: Jun 12, 2015
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:30 pm

Oh? Anyone have an image that lines up with this idea? Even if wasn't the intention, it would make for an amusing coincidence
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come

Cowboy Unit-03
Embryo
User avatar
Posts: 1
Joined: Feb 18, 2018
Location: hi

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Cowboy Unit-03 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:53 pm

this isnt really a theory more like an assumption or something but

i like to believe that Asuka didn't get her epiphany during eoe, so she rips shinjis throat out after the credits, killing him instantly.

edit
(lmao "Asuka" literally capitalized after posting, this forum's a riot)

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma
Posts: 23001
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Lost in Bat Country
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:44 pm

View Original PostCosmo11 wrote:I saw this one recently. The Rei that appears when Kaworu sees Lilith was Quantum Rei rather than Rei III.

View Original Postrobersora wrote:Doesn't seem that crazy to me neither, lol. I'd even say it could to lead to perfectly plausible reading of the material.

I'd say it's a suboptimal if not an outright lousy reading, since it detracts from Rei 3's arc leading up to her rebellion. If the Rei who's in Terminal Dogma watching over things isn't Rei 3, that deprives Rei 3 of a meaningful response to Kaworu's approach earlier. And the response is being clearly built up to.

1) Kaworu goes up to Rei, tells her they're the same, etc.
2) Rei ponders what Kaworu meant in her room
3) Rei manifests her powers to be the lone observer of the conflict (or its resolution, at least), see Kaworu announce the name of her true self, and watch Kaworu die

Playing into this is the fact that Rei has a visible, however subtle, emotional reaction when Kaworu smiles at her. Compare her faces before and after to see what I mean.

The Quantum Rei idea is not only a detriment to Rei's arc, it's also completely unnecessary in every other way. The Quantum Reis reveal themselves by the fact that their appearances are paradoxical. They show up in places and in states that should be impossible. In the "Ode to Joy" sequence, there is nothing preventing Rei from being there. She's not shown to be in a different location at the time, or in a hospital bed unable to move, or having returned to Lilith and subsequently died. There is not a single reason to think it isn't her.

The similarities to Quantum Rei can be instead explained by the fact that Rei 3 is the one that BECOMES Quantum Rei. It's foreshadowing, or build-up, effectively. Contact with Kaworu has catalyzed Rei into becoming what she was meant to become.


Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests