Favorite crazy Evangelion theories

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

BlueBasilisk
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 1304
Joined: Nov 14, 2010
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:08 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Q Misato and Asuka being hateful, cold bitches for the slight apathy they showed Shinji in the film and weren't cooing/cuddling him.


Ugh, this. I've spent several hours trying to clean up the main and character pages on Rebuild's TV Tropes pages to remove the bile against Misato and Asuka for bullying poor Shinji-kun. Look at this shit:

SPOILER: Show
Misato's TV Tropes Entry wrote:* UngratefulBitch: If she wasn't so hypocritical and bitter to the point of treating Shinji like garbage and self-righteously using him as a scapegoat, she would realize that him causing Third Impact actually ''saved'' mankind. Because had Shinji not caused Third Impact, the 10th Angel would have wiped out ''all'' mankind, not just the majority. Thus Misato, and everyone remaining have been living off 14 years of borrowed time that Shinji had unwittingly given them and yet Misato and everyone else is so caught up in their self-righteous and personal bitterness towards Shinji that they treat him like an inhuman monster


Misato's TV Tropes Entry wrote:* NeverMyFault: She vocally blames Shinji for causing TheEndOfTheWorldAsWeKnowIt, not acknowledging that she urged him on at all. It's made more twisted because she ''does'' know deep down that she's partially to blame, and treats Shinji badly partially because his presence reminds her of that.


Misato's TV Tropes Entry wrote:Hypocrite: In 3.0, she treats Shinji with disdain for his accidental role in destroying the planet in the pervious film when he tried to save Rei, in spite of having encouraged him to do exactly that.


Misato's TV Tropes Entry wrote:Too Dumb to Live: As angry as she is at Shinji and at herself, her, Asuka, and her crew's treatment of him could end up being their STUPIDEST mistake of all. "3.0" is almost entirely a small demonstration. Because as all fans know, when it comes to Evangelion there's two little unspoken rules: 1, Shinji gets screwed over, and 2, Shinji eventually (though usually unintentionally) screws over everyone who screwed him over. If Misato and everyone continue to treat Shinji the way they have in the final movie as they did 3.0 then its all too possible that he will end up in the SAME emotional and mental state he was in during End of Evangelion, which we all know what that brought about and this time around it could be much worse.


Asuka's TV Tropes Entry wrote:Too Dumb to Live: Her bullheadedness and attack on Shinji in Terminal Dogma without explaining herself to him is what partially drove him to remove the spears and cause the Near-Fourth Impact.



Even the Wunder can't spin like that. What annoys me most about this is that Misato is continually compared to Gendo in appearance and methodology. She superficially resembles him with her new shiny sunglasses, but her new characterization owes almost entirely to Captain Nemo, a totally different animal all together. Gendo is more like Gargoyle.

Here's another dumb conclusion I see all the time:
ReiQ was designed as a deliberate slap in the face to Rei's fans, being Anno's way of telling them "your waifu sucks and you suck for liking her." Because Anno hates Rei, hates Rei's fans, and is furious that people don't see her as creepy and unsettling as he originally intended.

Which is of course why Moe Rei shows up on all of the officially licensed merchandise. :lol:

Edit: Holy crap, I splel gud this morning

Rei IV
Lilin
Lilin
Posts: 1988
Joined: Dec 04, 2012

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rei IV » Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:41 pm

Sheesh, talk about mischaracterizing Q Misato. Oh well, at least Asuka won't be lonely and is no longer the head bitch. :facepalm:

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 8552
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:00 pm

The tsunami thing is missing the point, guys. Rei-Ka-Ada-Lith offers her sacred flesh as sustenance to the reborn, that they may prosper.

The Cruel
Sachiel
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 239
Joined: Feb 19, 2014
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Cruel » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:16 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Ugh, this. I've spent several hours trying to clean up the main and character pages on Rebuild's TV Tropes pages to remove the bile against Misato and Asuka for bullying poor Shinji-kun. Look at this shit:

SPOILER: Show


Misato's TV Tropes Entry wrote:
* UngratefulBitch: If she wasn't so hypocritical and bitter to the point of treating Shinji like garbage and self-righteously using him as a scapegoat, she would realize that him causing Third Impact actually ''saved'' mankind. Because had Shinji not caused Third Impact, the 10th Angel would have wiped out ''all'' mankind, not just the majority. Thus Misato, and everyone remaining have been living off 14 years of borrowed time that Shinji had unwittingly given them and yet Misato and everyone else is so caught up in their self-righteous and personal bitterness towards Shinji that they treat him like an inhuman monster


Misato's TV Tropes Entry wrote:
* NeverMyFault: She vocally blames Shinji for causing TheEndOfTheWorldAsWeKnowIt, not acknowledging that she urged him on at all. It's made more twisted because she ''does'' know deep down that she's partially to blame, and treats Shinji badly partially because his presence reminds her of that.


Misato's TV Tropes Entry wrote:
Hypocrite: In 3.0, she treats Shinji with disdain for his accidental role in destroying the planet in the pervious film when he tried to save Rei, in spite of having encouraged him to do exactly that.


Misato's TV Tropes Entry wrote:
Too Dumb to Live: As angry as she is at Shinji and at herself, her, Asuka, and her crew's treatment of him could end up being their STUPIDEST mistake of all. "3.0" is almost entirely a small demonstration. Because as all fans know, when it comes to Evangelion there's two little unspoken rules: 1, Shinji gets screwed over, and 2, Shinji eventually (though usually unintentionally) screws over everyone who screwed him over. If Misato and everyone continue to treat Shinji the way they have in the final movie as they did 3.0 then its all too possible that he will end up in the SAME emotional and mental state he was in during End of Evangelion, which we all know what that brought about and this time around it could be much worse.


Asuka's TV Tropes Entry wrote:
Too Dumb to Live: Her bullheadedness and attack on Shinji in Terminal Dogma without explaining herself to him is what partially drove him to remove the spears and cause the Near-Fourth Impact.




Even the Wunder can't spin like that. What annoys me most about this is that Misato is continually compared to Gendo in appearance and methodology. She superficially resembles him with her new shiny sunglasses, but her new characterization owes almost entirely to Captain Nemo, a totally different animal all together. Gendo is more like Gargoyle.

Here's another dumb conclusion I see all the time:
ReiQ was designed as a deliberate slap in the face to Rei's fans, being Anno's way of telling them "your waifu sucks and you suck for liking her." Because Anno hates Rei, hates Rei's fans, and is furious that people don't see her as creepy and unsettling as he originally intended.

Which is of course why Moe Rei shows up on all of the officially licensed merchandise. :lol:

Edit: Holy crap, I splel gud this morning



As much as Shinji didn't listen to Misato, it's the same as Asuka didn't listen to him.

Their arrogance became their doom, though we can be happy about that it didn't escalated that bad, despite that Kaworu sacrificed himself to stop 4I.

And so the "Brat", the "Princess", the "Four-eyes", the "Doll" and the others from Wille got some time bestowed to stop the "King".

And so there are two options:

1. Everyone discourages and traumatises the "Brat" further, so that the "King" is ready to do the "Final Impact".

or

2. Everyone stops bitching and baiting on the "Brat", accept him as their ally and they stop finally the "King". Though some of them 'll do the sacrifice to make this victory happen.

Until Final is out, I isn't certain that the tropes here fit to Misatos and Asukas personas in 3.0.

And 3.0 itself is just like the first half of the final act of this play (it makes sense why Final is called 3.0+1.0 instead of 4.0) and I bet that a lot of surprises and revelations 'll hapen there no matter if they are nice or cruel and that it takes consideration to 3.0 and the rest of the plot of Rebuild.
Last edited by The Cruel on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:28 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:That image shows a wave thousands of times higher than the 11-3-11 tsunami raised; that's one hell of an earthquake -- meaning something approaching magnitude 13. And oh look -- that's about the same magnitude as the Chicxulub impactor.


There are some big, big differences there, though; to begin with the environment wasn't already stressed by the immense volcanic activity of the Deccan Traps, but more importantly the fact that there was no actual impact means there was no ejecta to speak of, which means the, ah, impact of the event would be far less significant. And no how big the waves were there's no denying the fact that there are plenty of trees and manmade structures littering the beach where Shinji washed up, which would seem pretty unlikely if the waves were as bad as you describe.

And of course, this is nothing to the fallout we should have seen from Antarctica exploding during 2I. I bring this up every time you trot this little factoid out, and you've never given me a satisfying answer as to why this event should be so much worse than that one.

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Ugh, this. I've spent several hours trying to clean up the main and character pages on Rebuild's TV Tropes pages to remove the bile against Misato and Asuka for bullying poor Shinji-kun. Look at this shit:


Good gravy, that's vile. People say EvaGeeks is toxic pit of awfulness, but at least we manage to keep some perspective when it comes to the show and its characters. If you go to Tumblr or 4chan it's all KawoShin or GTFO, and everywhere else Shinji's either the greatest pussy the world has ever seen or some poor widdle victim who never did anything wrong ever ever. It all gets intolerable very quickly.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Arcadia's legacy
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 1047
Joined: Jun 12, 2015
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:32 pm

You think that's bad, try looking on EVA's reddit page
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:41 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:You think that's bad, try looking on EVA's reddit page


No, thank you. Even though Aaron's running it I want nothing to do with that place.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

BlueBasilisk
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 1304
Joined: Nov 14, 2010
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:42 pm

@The Cruel - It is certain because they do not demonstrate the tropes in the film itself. Asuka's mad at him for being a self-centered child who runs away from things and Misato's more or less apathetic to him until he pilots the Eva. That's not ambiguous, it's right on the screen.

Wille COULD blame Shinji for Third Impact, but they never take the opportunity to do so. What's happening here is that people are trying to give Shinji the moral high ground by painting his actions as righteous while trying to deflect the consequences of those actions onto others. Asuka told him why she was attacking. "We're going to destroy all of Nerv's Evas!" "Gaki Shinji, are you trying to cause Third Impact again!?" Shinji can only offer vague statements in his defense, which shows he has no idea what he's really doing and is messing around with powers WAY beyond his understanding. That's the arrogance that brings everyone down.

Edit:
@Bagheera - You're not kidding. Every now and then you can have a discussion about Eva on 4chan that doesn't degenerate into shitposting, but it's very very rare. It's just an echo chamber of the same arguments over and over again. I should have taken screenshots. They'd be perfect for this thread! :tongue:
Last edited by BlueBasilisk on Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arcadia's legacy
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 1047
Joined: Jun 12, 2015
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:45 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:No, thank you. Even though Aaron's running it I want nothing to do with that place.


Who's Aaron?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 60
Posts: 20058
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:48 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Who's Aaron?


[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1[/url]
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
Avatar: Etoh Mei (b. 9-May-2018)

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Age: 21
Posts: 3319
Joined: May 20, 2014
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:55 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:No, thank you. Even though Aaron's running it I want nothing to do with that place.

I feel like reddit gets a worse reputation than it deserves, sure it has its pure shit subreddits but at the same time all of the ones i have gone to have had funny and interesting people who are not total dicks.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Arcadia's legacy
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 1047
Joined: Jun 12, 2015
Location: United Kingdom
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:58 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:[url]http://forum.evageeks.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1[/url]


Thank you
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:01 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:I feel like reddit gets a worse reputation than it deserves, sure it has its pure shit subreddits but at the same time all of the ones i have gone to have had funny and interesting people who are not total dicks.


Oh, don't get me wrong; I'm not meaning to smear the place. I know the subreddits are incredibly diverse and individually moderated, and I know that some are full of incredibly useful, funny, and helpful people and information. That is certainly true. But the nastiness of some of the slimier subreddits just make me want to avoid the place altogether, particularly if I'm venturing into unfamiliar territory and don't know what to expect. Running across some place like coontown or fatpeoplehate is just not something I care to chance.

But if you've found subreddits you like and that don't squick you out, more power to you. Sadly, I don't think the Evangelion subreddit would be such a find for me, so I'm happy to avoid it. I'd be equally happy to be proved wrong, though.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rei IV
Lilin
Lilin
Posts: 1988
Joined: Dec 04, 2012

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rei IV » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:21 pm

Q really did bring out the crazy in the fandom. Or rather, we got to witness a more unhinged side of it. Wasn't as bad as Ha/2.0 though. The "Q Misato and Asuka are evil bitches" that mistreat the pure hearted, innocent Shinji Ikari is a meme that needs to die a firey death, along the with claim Rei Ayanami has no emotions. Yes, Rei is alien in nature, creepy at times, lacks agency in many cases, is a mere plot device and is not very developed but emotionless she ain't.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao
User avatar
Age: 20
Posts: 10212
Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Location: 可塑の椅子

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:46 pm

It's easy to understand where the vitriol aimed at the two of them comes from. However, what people seem to forget is that not only do Misato and Asuka have no way to see inside Shinji's head and know what he's thinking, there's fourteen years of content that we didn't get to see that doubtlessly influenced their behavior in Q.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Kaworu/Asuka shipping. What the hell man

go away

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 10027
Joined: Aug 29, 2006
Location: Hollywoo
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sachi » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:03 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Science fiction is notorious for revelling in this sort of thing; and we know that is a significant part of the backgrounds of the classic Gainax team.

Science fiction is known for either. Some choose to be highly accurate in their depictions, while other science fiction stories don't worry so much about details, demonstrating advanced technology that may as well be magical in its usage; Eva is a series that does a bit of both. Like Reichu says, NGE only gives a shit when it wants to. Considering that the height of an Eva ranges from 40m-200m, I'm more likely to believe that they blurred the lines a bit with the GNR tsunami and that the implied devastation was not something they were concerned with getting accurate. Like Chuckman notes, that would be missing the point of the scene, which is to really show humanity's rebirth through GNR's death.
- Sachi

I host the unofficial EGF discord server. Join us! https://discord.gg/WqS7wRW
I also host another more general discord server for film and anime fans: https://discord.gg/wWYPwjb

Iuvenal
Sachiel
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 228
Joined: Jun 18, 2015
Location: Terrace 4
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Iuvenal » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:49 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Anyway, important question: If the Eva had an orgasm, would the pilot feel it? What about the other way?


Do any of the evas have reproductive organs? I imagine even if they didn't, they'd feel something if the pilot got off while synchronized (even if it's sensation in a ghost limb), but I don't think the eva itself could have an orgasm without the right parts.
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 60
Posts: 20058
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:01 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:
  • Kaworu/Asuka shipping. What the hell man
We have a thread for that.

Anyway, important question: If the Eva had an orgasm, would the pilot feel it? What about the other way?
That would be for Neon Genesis Aquarion to answer.

View Original PostIuvenal wrote:Do any of the evas have reproductive organs?
ISTR one of the consoles in the show listing prostate amongst all the other anatomical features.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
Avatar: Etoh Mei (b. 9-May-2018)

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma
Posts: 23008
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Lost in Bat Country
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:02 am

View Original PostIuvenal wrote:Do any of the evas have reproductive organs?

Anno wrote a script for a potential NGE movie where entry plug use was replaced with the pilots being surgically grafted into the Evas' wombs. This suggests that he imagines the Evas to have reproductive organs.

Evas can orgasm. There's a whole scene dedicated to this in EoE.

Angel
Embryo
Age: 33
Posts: 19
Joined: Sep 10, 2015

Re: The dumbest conclusions

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Angel » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:06 am

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:What are the most bizzare, least well thought out, and just plain stupid conclusions you have found after reading upon EVA (over)analysis?


Honestly? Two of the dumbest are:

#1: Rei is a clone of Yui. This conclusion is based entirely on the fact that they have similar haircuts and share a voice actress (who also does pen-pen). Never mind that they have totally different hair and eye colors and that there is absolutely nothing in canon to justify the idea that they're clones other than one hallucination by an Akagi.

#2: Rei keeps dying and there is some kind of elaborate system for backing up her memories and retrieving the soul of Lilith and inserting it into her clone bodies so NERV can maintain the illusion that she never actually dies. There is absolutely no reason for NERV to do this, nor any evidence that they have the technological ability to do so. I agree with the idea that Rei was probably the test pilot of a contact experiment with Zerogouki that absorbed her soul, and NERV had to put Lilith's soul in her to keep her functioning. But that's about it.

Yes, I get that these ideas are canon in the Rebuild movies, but I'm talking exclusively about the original series here.

View Original PostReichu wrote:Evas can orgasm. There's a whole scene dedicated to this in EoE.


What scene? I don't remember any Eva splooge in EOE.
Last edited by Angel on Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just here for the fan art


Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests