Evangelion 4.0, do you really want an alternate ending?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:05 pm

The TV Ending could have worked if Anno had a proper budget and a full schedule at the time.

@Xander
We've had three movies, and a TV Series with a movie finale that required us to think. Think to the point our brains bled out of our ears.

All I want is an ironclad, obviously happy ending for Shinji. Or barring that at least an ending where it's believable he can move on and have a semi meaningful life after the credits roll. Unlike EOE. . .

But that'd be too easy for Anno, so I'm bracing for the worst.

Short answer:
Do I want an alternate ending? Yes. Will I get one? I highly doubt it, but I won't be mad if I don't.

Edit: The only thing I personally think should be different is that Gendo get a fate infinitely worse than the one he got in EOE. I think we deserve at least that much.

Jimbob
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Jimbob » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:30 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:Bayformers insults my inteligence and good taste. Anno insults peoples' preferences.

Exactly. It's just BS on the other end of the spectrum.

Also I sure as hell didn't feel the need to reevaluate my life after watching Eva.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:31 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^ It’s almost like it’s not a real Eva ending unless it pisses everyone off. :devil:

Outside of EGF I never heard anything but praise for EoE.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:02 am

The cliche of a "Gainax ending" came from somewhere.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Fredsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fredsq » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:36 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:I hardly could call that a happy ending : those are not the characters we knew

That's why the ending sucks

You could see the ending with LAS googles and say "oh, fate!!!!!", but it would suck anyway.

Well compared to EoE that was quite uplifting. It was the coward choice of Shinji, yes. But we didn’t get any major character brutally murdered or even suffering much. They ended up all good, lobotomised and happy with normal lives.

I wish it didn’t end in an impact or instrumentality at all.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 4:53 pm

Don't have any expectations of what will happen with this ending. That way I may be able to cope either way and overthink it afterwards.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:09 pm

I got a question, say the loop theory turns out to be true and the ending is actually the beginning of Second Impact, would that count as an ending to you?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:09 am

View Original PostFredsq wrote:Well compared to EoE that was quite uplifting. It was the coward choice of Shinji, yes. But we didn’t get any major character brutally murdered or even suffering much. They ended up all good, lobotomised and happy with normal lives.

I wish it didn’t end in an impact or instrumentality at all.

i don't agree, they are not even lobotomised characters : just reincarnations, new ones.

Oh my god, how much I hate those kind of endings.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:00 pm

To be honest, all I really want from FINAL is that it be at least somewhat unexpected, even to someone who has seen NGE and EoE, who would expect something like that from Anno in the first place. Some sort of positive resolution for Shinji would be refreshing, particularly one explicit enough for the audience compared to the more perspective-dependent EoTV ending and the somewhat open-ended EoE, but that doesn't make a far less optimistic conclusion undesirable on it's own merits.

I'm inclined to think that FINAL won't go along the optimism curve, given that 3.0 at least hints at the possibility of a uplifting ending of some kind in it's final scene (don't take my word on it, though - more of an impression I got from it) - it's hard not to assume that the ending will take the viewer by surprise, especially given Evangelion's track record.

Then again, who's to say that a happy(ish?) ending isn't the most unexpected one?
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Adaminator1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adaminator1 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:22 am

It's not a matter of what I want. It's a matter of what Anno wants.

The thing that matters is whether or not I like what he wants, and it's too early to tell. So far though, signs point to yes.
I finally put something here!

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:35 am

As long as its good enough to stick with me throughout my life like the Jesus blibet Meinee Freunde section of EoE was then im fine with any ending anno hands out.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:06 am

It'd be pretty awesome if Anno decided to do an EoTV-styled ending for the conclusion. It'd piss off everyone who wanted to see an awesome climactic robot fight.

...but I don't expect he will, because he himself seems to be more interested in robot fights than characters at this point.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:17 am

Ok im just gonna say it now because this criticism is pissing me off, did you actually watch 3.0? 90% of that movie was kaworu and Shinji fucking around at nerv, the robot battles didn't even fully make up the 10% that is left.
A good chunk of 2.0 was devoted to developing rebuild Rei's character and her relationship with Shinji and 1.0 was just the first few episodes with important scene changes, stop acting like this was some fucking micheal bay movie! :asuka_geh:

if you don't like the rebuild movies then you have the right to voice your opinion but please come up with criticisms that are actually valid.
I expect slightly better out of eva fans.

(this will probably start an argument, but im not sorry because im getting real tired of this constant whining about anything rebuild related)
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:55 pm

Lol, this is like the first time I've criticized Rebuild since I joined the forum. I could elaborate on my problems with the new movies, but this isn't the thread for that.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:01 pm

this wasn't aimed totally at you, just that specific argument that is tossed around a lot as to why rebuild is somehow bad.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:10 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:48 pm

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:02 pm

^
You're a brave man to compare him to that hack.

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:35 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:if you don't like the rebuild movies then you have the right to voice your opinion but please come up with criticisms that are actually valid.

It's not like he's wrong. Every character not named Shinji is either vapid, uninteresting, or just used as a prop for his development. And, Shinji isn't all that compelling in the first place either.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:03 pm

^

Speak for yourself dude. ^_^

Thanks to Shinji's, Asuka's, and Rei's exploits, I can honestly say that I've grown to be a much better person than I was before Evangelion or Rebuild.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”