[Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: [Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:41 pm

You know I'm always happy to watch Javier Bardem play a quirky villain and I expect watching him ham it up in a pirate movie will be great, but undead pirates hunting Jack Sparrow? Again?

I know I don't usually level this type of criticism before a movie is even out but it just sounds like a retread of the first movie.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:41 pm

Stranger Things Season 2 teaser.
Haven't watched s1 yet, just jumped to high on my list to do so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Egf5U8xLo8

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:26 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Another Friday the 13th reboot starts filming in March.

Paramount just announced its fucking canceled. :raincloud: and the World War Z sequel has been put on indefinite hiatus.

DarkBluePhoenix
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:23 am

movieartman wrote:Paramount just announced its fucking canceled. :raincloud: and the World War Z sequel has been put on indefinite hiatus.

Not crying about either of those myself. Friday the 13th was rebooted not that long ago, and unlike Spider-Man, isn't in the middle of being a major superhero movie to garner a s econmd reboot in less than a decade.

As for zombies, if it's on indefinite hiatus, that means Hollywood is done with zombie flicks (thank whatever diety(s)). I'm glad its not getting a sequel. More recent zombie flicks were overrated to begin with, not counting Shawn of the Dead of course.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:40 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Not crying about either of those myself. Friday the 13th was rebooted not that long ago, and unlike Spider-Man, isn't in the middle of being a major superhero movie to garner a s econmd reboot in less than a decade.

As for zombies, if it's on indefinite hiatus, that means Hollywood is done with zombie flicks (thank whatever diety(s)). I'm glad its not getting a sequel. More recent zombie flicks were overrated to begin with, not counting Shawn of the Dead of course.

Yeah maybe they'll get there heads out of there arses and make a decent werewolf or vampire movie ie one where no one sparkles and people get torn to ribbons and that doesn't involve Kate Beckinsale in spandex....because that franchise in my view is out of steam now and needs to go find a stake and a shallow grave... :irked:
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:22 pm

My favorite thing about World War Z (the movie) is that it basically ends with a serious version of the "walk like a zombie" gag.

ErgoProxy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:37 pm

silvermoonlight wrote:Yeah maybe they'll get there heads out of there arses and make decent werewolf or vampire movie ie one where no one sparkles and people get torn to ribbons and that doesn't involve Kate Beckinsale in spandex....because that franchise in my view is out of steam now and needs to go find a stake and a shallow grave... :irked:

So, daily reminder that Poland once got an authentic Duke of Transylvania as its king, to fight Ivan the Terrible Himself. And his most trusted vassal's punchline was: deaf at heavens bell, I'm not afraid of hell.

I wouldn't mind a movie about that. ;)
In my spirit lies my faith
Stronger than love and with me it will be
For always

- Mike Wyzgowski & Sagisu Shiro

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:05 pm

David Gordon Green will direct & write (alongside Danny Mcbride) a Halloween reboot.
They are most well known for Pineapple Express.
Green is harshly mixed, he did apparent dreck like The Sitter (2011) but also did...
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtYYNr4IMAAOBhU.png

Before anyone panics that they will make it comedic...
McBride said, “David and I are thrilled to step outside of our comedic collaborations and dive into a dark and vicious horror. Nobody will be laughing.”

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:06 am

David Gordon Green is a nice guy. I've had the pleasure of working with him. He's more of an arthouse filmmaker than anything else with Pineapple Express being one of his more studio friendly projects. He's been itching to get into horror for a while & had some pretty awesome ideas for a Suspira remake but that never came to be.

Him & Danny McBride doing a Halloween remake? A far more enticing prospect than Rob Zombie ever was. It should certainly be in similar spirit to the original in regards to tone & scale but should very much be its own thing. I am very VERY intrigued about what David is going to do with this film.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:29 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:David Gordon Green is a nice guy. I've had the pleasure of working with him. He's more of an arthouse filmmaker than anything else with Pineapple Express being one of his more studio friendly projects. He's been itching to get into horror for a while & had some pretty awesome ideas for a Suspira remake but that never came to be.

Him & Danny McBride doing a Halloween remake? A far more enticing prospect than Rob Zombie ever was. It should certainly be in similar spirit to the original in regards to tone & scale but should very much be its own thing. I am very VERY intrigued about what David is going to do with this film.

Awesome to hear.

Of all the various slasher franchises, Halloween is my favorite so I am pretty invested in whatever happens with it.
My initial primary hopes (besides the obvious of it being a good film)
- Myers goes back to being a subtle but unstoppable phantom of death. That grunting redneck hobo bullshit of Zombie's films is a big NO.
- A strong focus on atmosphere, suspense & dread rather then gore & cheap jump scares.
- A more mature cast of characters, not every slasher franchise needs interchangeable teens. Jason Goes to Hell for example for all the hate it gets, had a damn good cast and most none of them weren't the teens/college kids of the prior films.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:00 pm

Him & Danny McBride doing a Halloween remake? A far more enticing prospect than Rob Zombie ever was

In Zombies defense. He was basically strong armed into doing it by the studio. The studio approached him to do it and he did not want to remake Halloween because he considered the original film perfect. His logic was they're going to remake it with or without me if I'm there I can at least try and mitigate the damage and make something that's watchable.

And to his credit zombie did at the very least try to do something different with the setup, and explore the psychology of the serial killer Michael Myers. But the production was screwed over from the start.

And for me personally anything made by John Carpenter should not be remade, sequel-booted, Etc. Because there's really nothing you could add to a remake that the original John Carpenter movie didn't do better ( as evidenced by the thing prequel, and the aforementioned Rob Zombie Halloween rremake ). That's not even saying how much the emphasis of modern-day Film Production would put on the CGI over the Practical effects that give his best movies their charm and gritty realism.

He's called "the master of horror" for a reason. And if nobody can do it better then how about instead of trying to remake something that can't be improved upon, you at least try and remake a movie that isn't considered by people all over the globe to be a classic?
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:35 pm

Live action Mulan movie has it's director in Niki Caro which will make for Disney's 2nd female director for a project over 100 million.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:54 pm

http://ew.com/movies/2017/02/16/hook-ki ... ow_twitter

Dante Basco (Hook, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Legend Of Korra) is attempting to raise funding for a Hook prequel. . .

. . .yay? (:|
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:46 pm

As one who adores Hook: meh

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:31 am

Hook was the movie that introduced me to Robin Williams when I was in preschool. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

That being said, my reaction to this prequel idea is the same as Chuck's.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:48 am

This is something I rarely say but... I don't see the point of a prequel.

It doesn't fit what Hook is. The movie isn't a sequel to any specific version of Peter Pan, it's an extension of all of them- Barrie, the stage play, the Disney cartoon, and so on.

When I was a kid I enjoyed it on its face value but rewatching it as an adult it's a beautiful exploration of growing up, mortality, and the meaning of adulthood. The ordinary "prequel" Peter Pan tackles those issues from the "ground up" perspective of a child growing into maturity but Hook looks in the other direction, which makes it unique. I'm very fond of the film's core message that modern adulthood isn't really maturity, it's just an extended childhood and most adults are self absorbed people who live the same year 30 times instead of living 30 years. When we grow up (really grow up, not the self parody of growing up that is the yuppie culture of self absorbed me-ism that Peter Banning belongs to) we don't cast away or shed or grow out of who we were as children, we build on that core while growing into it.

I'm not sure what a pre-Hook would be other than a generic Peter Pan movie with some cameos and branding. The important backstory beats are covered in flashback in Hook anyway.

They could probably do something really artistic with the concept, though, like make a movie about Peter Pan becoming Peter Banning that's really depressing and critical of modern adulthood but they never will.

The movie won't be made anyway so it's a moot point.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Director Jon Favreau has just announced, viaTwitter, that James Earl Jones and Donald Glover have both joined the cast of his upcoming live-action adaptation of The Lion King as the father-and-son duo of Mufasa and Simba, respectively.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:54 pm

Nobody can play Mufasa better than James. So. . . theres some hope at least.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:33 pm

The Tales From The Crypt reboot series is going to be on TNT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ELCWlRwM8

Yaaaay.

Produced By M Night Shyamalan.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:36 pm

Meh, I'd only worry if he's writing something. He's a talented director. He just can't write a script very well.

Return to “Film and Video”