[Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: [Film] The Trailers & Upcoming Films Thread

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:31 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Beast Wars is actually a good show.

I have heard that as well.

I'd call it the first gasp of modern television- arc storytelling over disconnected episodic plots, real consequences and lasting character deaths, and a beginning, middle, and end.

It's sad that that's considered noteworthy for American TV rather than the default. If you said that about an anime show viewers would shrug and go, "yeah, so? They're all like that, what of it?"

I think a lot of the nostalgic fondness people have for G1 actually comes from the way Beast Wars treated it.

For me it was solely because the original G1 transformers looked like real world items/vehicles. That didn't last long -- Shockwave and the Dinobots abandoned the pretense early on -- but the toys took a serious dip in quality after the first generation and they never got it back. There were some exceptions (Alternators FTW!), but for the most part TFs after the original line were crap.

Apart from that, the sole appeal of G1 for me is the cast. Everyone was distinct and memorable, and there was some good voice talent there (doing all of Hasbro's shows, granted, but still). Later shows tried to recapture that but all of them failed miserably.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:33 pm

Bay doesn't hate Transformers, people are just mad because they want a story crafted for a narrow demographic of nostalgic adults and not general audiences. They're pissed he's not making the movies they want.

Which is probably good, because i honestly think treating giant robots that turn into cars with real gravitas would cheapen itself.

I don't think Snyder hates comics but I think his real interest in them is the visual flair. His work just feels so hollow and concerned with appearance over substance.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:35 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Also Gendo's Papa you said you only liked Bad Boys 1, What issues do you have with the Rock? Just curious.

That was me, not GP. And I hated The Rock because it starred Nick Cage and had a shitty plot. Bad Boys also had a shitty plot but I liked the cast and it was a straight-up cop movie rather than some action shitshow so it didn't push any buttons.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:36 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:
It's sad that that's considered noteworthy for American TV rather than the default. If you said that about an anime show viewers would shrug and go, "yeah, so? They're all like that, what of it?"

It's a business model. Syndicated shows have to be able to pick up viewers with any episode without confusing them, as they're often shown out of order.

Episodic storytelling ahead of its time suffered immensely from that. I didn't get a handle on the ongoing story of DS9 until I saw it as an adult, because Fox 29 played it out of order.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:11 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That was me, not GP. And I hated The Rock because it starred Nick Cage and had a shitty plot.

Sorry, my bad. And fair enough.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:34 pm

I like The Rock because it's the kind of earnest, straightforward action adventure movie no one makes anymore. It is what it is and pretends to no more, but has the exuberance of a kid playing with toys. Michael Bay works best when he puts the adventurers of his Gi Joes into a film.

No one makes that kind of movie anymore. Every action movie has to be ironic, or have a twist, or carry some ham handed neoliberal message.

Also why I'm fond of Shooter and Shoot 'Em Up.
the prophecy is true

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:11 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:It's a business model. Syndicated shows have to be able to pick up viewers with any episode without confusing them, as they're often shown out of order.

People don't like that, though. It's one reason (of many) why they flocked to cable once it opened up and became affordable. They want intelligent entertainment, even if they have to pay for it.

(of course, the success of the Transformers franchise shows they don't always want it, but then the success of The Wire and tons of other shit shows they often do.)

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:54 pm

Switching from cartoons to video games...
- Walton Goggins will be the lead villain in the Alicia Vikander starring Lara Croft reboot.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:06 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:People don't like that, though. It's one reason (of many) why they flocked to cable once it opened up and became affordable. They want intelligent entertainment, even if they have to pay for it.

(of course, the success of the Transformers franchise shows they don't always want it, but then the success of The Wire and tons of other shit shows they often do.)

I don't want any one thing. I want tragedy and grim and gritty and bright and sunny and mindless fluff and many other things, at different times, as fits my moods.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:26 pm

Speaking of giant robots. . .

the Zords are going to be in the power Rangers movie.

Personally I would have saved the Zords for the next movie. But it does excite me it'll give me a chance to see a giant robot fight that isn't directed by Michael Bay. The fog and forest looks like it's really going to give the fight a sense of scale that we really don't get from bayformers.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:15 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:But it does excite me it'll give me a chance to see a giant robot fight that isn't directed by Michael Bay.

Did you not like Pacific Rim? There's the sequel to that coming out in 2018 too. ^_^
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:24 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:Did you not like Pacific Rim? There's the sequel to that coming out in 2018 too. ^_^

Too many monsters, too much darkness, too much rain, criminal underuse of the Hong Kong and Russian teams, and, gods damn it, if your giant robot has a freakin' sword in its arm the pilot ought to know about it. This is especially true if he's sharing his mind with his co-pilot, who already knows about it and decided not to clue him in for some reason.

(not a huge fan. Liked Godzilla 2014 better, but then I saw Shin Godzilla and was like, "oh yeah, that's why we leave kaiju movies to the Japanese." Because Shin Godzilla was really fucking good, and I would gladly give up a dozen American monster flicks just to see what Toho does to follow that opening act.)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:37 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:if your giant robot has a freakin' sword in its arm the pilot ought to know about it.
I'll agree to the Anglosphere bias, but the sword was a tribute to the classic "We have no choice. We have to use THAT!" -- the film had several genre nods like that.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:20 pm

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES! Trailer
:mwahaha:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEP1Mk6Un98

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:56 pm

The Fate of the Furious trailer...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwMKRevYa_M

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:27 am

Sam L Jackson has announced Pixar has begun recording for Incredibles 2.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BODy5fghnmx/

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:04 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Sam L Jackson has announced Pixar has begun recording for Incredibles 2.

And it only took 4 sequels (Regardless of how good or shit they were) and a mediocre prequel to get around to it.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:34 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Sam L Jackson has announced Pixar has begun recording for Incredibles 2.

It's about damn time.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:16 pm

Given Pixar left Disney when Miyazaki was making 'Grave of the Fireflies' and Disney was making Pocahontas II, Mulan II, Lion King 1 1/2, 101 Dalmatians Do London and Aladdin 3: Jafar Needs Glasses I am not inspired by the sequilitis...

wiki/List_of_Pixar_films wrote:
Cars 2
Nemo Side Character
Monsters Inc. Goes To College
Incredibles 2
Cars 3
Toy Story 4

Ohhhh nooooooo...
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:30 pm

We may be getting a Gremilin's sequel/reboot. But this comes from a dubious source so take it with a grain of salt

http://www.interestingnewsnow.com/greml ... -a-sequel/

Here's a few things WB can do to NOT to ruin it like the millions of other reboots in the past.

1) Firstly, Acknowledge that the previous two films actually happened. Since it's been years since the last movie you wouldn't have to bring back some of the old cast from the first two movies, but it would be a nice bit of fan-service. But at the minimum all you need is Gizmo, and acknowledgement of what happened in the past movies through some minor dialogue.

2) They can use CGI if they have to. But at least use a few practical effects to try and ground the thing like the original movies did. Those Gremlins were TERRIFYING because we believed they were real.

3) Don't retread any of the plot or setting from the last two movies. Have the Gremlins somewhere we haven't seen before. We've seen them in a small town, we've seen them in the big city, give us a new setting we haven't seen the gremlins before.

My pick? A tropical Island, or a cruise ship. It would be isolated but familiar to the viewer. It would give us a great opportunity to see the Gremlins operate. The abundance of liquid water would give the Gremlins all they need to get the numbers they need to cause havok, and the Isolated would give us a real enclosed environment for the monsters to pop out at us. Think a dark comedy version of Alien or the Thing.

4) BRING BACK THE SCARY. The biggest issue that the second Gremlins movie had was that it was too cartoony and over the top. Keep the film more in the spirit of the original by making the humor dark and macabre. Have people actually die, have the gremlins be terrifying again.

5) Don't try and explain the Mogwai, or why they exist or who created them or other stuff like that. It's important to keep a little bit of Mystery attached to the Gremlins.

Return to “Film and Video”