Angel
Angel

Revolutionary Girl Utena

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:50 pm

REJOICE!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... o-utena-tv

Revolutionary Girl Utena is finally getting a rerelease for the West, and this time it's the gorgeously-remastered version. Article says that Nozomi set it for 2011 release date, in three sets (probably following the same method used by Central Park Media back in the day). All I can say is, "wtf took so damn long?", however I have no room to complain. THIS IS FANTASTIC.

Also, seeing as how there is no general Utena thread floating around: GENERAL UTENA THREAD. Sexuality, gender bending, adulthood, puberty, sex sex sex, swordfights, mindfucks, crazy architecture, surreal everything, castles with wheels that cut you off on the highway, etc. go for it

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:18 am

That's great news, as I've been meaning to watch Utena for about six years now. Right Stuf has done well with niche releases.

Has there been a Blu-Ray release in Japan, though?

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:49 pm

Its been years since I last saw Utena, so I might just get this when it comes out.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:30 pm

I really need to get around to watching this show, watched the 1st 4 eps, then I stopped for whatever reason I can't remember and didn't go back to it.
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:51 am

It's been about 6-7 years since I last watched Utena. I'll definitely be picking up the new DVD's/Blu-Ray the day they come out.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:35 am

On a scale of 1-10, how les-yay is this series?
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:57 am

View Original PostThe Bastard King wrote:On a scale of 1-10, how les-yay is this series?
It depends whether you count the yaoi and the hetero-incest against the lesbian overtones.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Ep. 14: Killer Bee attempts a fanfic. Hilarity ensues.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:54 pm

I'm so totally getting this. I've been meaning to watch RGU for years.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:32 pm

I found Utena to be visually stunning, this pleases me greatly. I may consider buying it if/when it becomes available. I wonder if it will come with Adolescence of Utena or will that be a separate release? :think:

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:41 pm

Merridian-kun you are a prince among men! A transcendent being! You have entered a new plane of existence within my heart!

Mmmmmm Utena. She makes my heart pitter-patter. Ta-dum, ta-dum~!

So many of the early episodes are a bit of a drag, but the last arc more than makes up for it. It does for shojo what Evangelion did for shonen, you could say. It also plays around with gender roles and whatnot. If you can at all handle my endless sexual ramblings, you should enjoy this. ^^; Certainly I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wasn't interested in romance and rose pedals falling gently from the sky.

I pirated this a long time ago and have been waiting, waiting for a nice pretty physical thing I could buy and, and, and... eeeeeeeeee~!!!!! ^_____________^

As for the same-sex attraction stuff, I find it best if you just accept everything as it is. What is your gut feeling when you see character X and Y on the screen together? What is your personal impression? Is your heart swelling? Are you swooning? Are you aaawwwww-ing? Love is love, and the audience can take that and do what they please. That's all that matters. ^_^
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:20 pm

I picked up the old CPM releases about 6 years ago, and have been meaning to rewatch it.

@O-chan
The thing that seems to be absent from all the couples and couplings in SKU is love -- lust, infatuation, even obsessive-compulsion drive the seductions that go on. And I rather think that that is the point of most of the goings on in the hothouse world of the Ohtori Academy.

Of course whether the elegant elfin bishonen on screen cause the the viewer to swoon or DAWWWWW or neither is up to their personal preferences.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:27 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The thing that seems to be absent from all the couples and couplings in SKU is love -- lust, infatuation, even obsessive-compulsion drive the seductions that go on. And I rather think that that is the point of most of the goings on in the hothouse world of the Ohtori Academy.

Which makes sense, since a primary theme of Utena is growing up, which would also explain the apparent bisexuality of nearly ever character, that being said

SPOILER: Show
The final scene where Utena tries to save Anthy despite being literally stabbed in the back by her is probably the most reminiscent definition of 'love' out of all the character relationships, bar a few.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

No, I will not tell you my favorite Sailor Scout. Go away.

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:28 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Certainly I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who wasn't interested in romance and rose pedals falling gently from the sky.

I grew up on Sailor Moon. So... yeah. I can handle that. :rei_blush:

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby oOoOoOo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:54 pm

And what is love, anyway? ^_~

Kira Bee-kun, you are ready. There are even dazzling transformation sequences that get repeated episode after episode. There is nothing more I can teach you.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

Halicat
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Halicat » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:58 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:And what is love, anyway? ^_~

Love is what I have for Anthy Himemiya, I mean, just look at her. I'd make her mai waifu
Last edited by Halicat on Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

My training is complete. If I don't watch Utena... who will?

•      
  •      

Postby Killer Bee » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:02 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:There is nothing more I can teach you.

I will not fail you, O-sensei.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:46 pm

I'm rejoicing. I've wanted to see this for ages, and now I can. Yay. That is all.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:08 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:And what is love, anyway? ^_~
I'm sorry, I can't help it
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Sun Jul 04, 2010 10:01 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:It depends whether you count the yaoi and the hetero-incest against the lesbian overtones.
You almost got me at yaoi, but sold me at hetero-incest. I think it's time to try my second shoujo anime EVUR.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:49 pm

^You won’t be disappointed. Shit is unreal.

drinian wrote: Has there been a Blu-Ray release in Japan, though?
I don’t know. I know that it has been remastered, but as far as I’m aware that was just a DVD rerelease (kinda like Renewal for NGE). Nozomi’s release here will be this remastered version, btw

Halicat wrote: I wonder if it will come with Adolescence of Utena or will that be a separate release?
Central Park Media’s old release of it featured the film bundled in with the first set (which was the first arc of the show). If they're going by that, then there's certainly the possibility. I don't think we'll know until more info is released, though.

Mr. Tines wrote: lust, infatuation, even obsessive-compulsion drive the seductions that go on. And I rather think that that is the point of most of the goings on in the hothouse world of the Ohtori Academy.
Definitely. The show’s emphasis on trusting others and establishing meaningful bonds ties into the reasons why all the depicted sexual relationships were lacking in love. The end of the show implies that the two protagonists DID find love in each other, but the conclusion of the film turns this implication into something far more concrete.

Return to “Anime and Manga”