Fanfic idea: A Tale of Two Shinjis

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Fanfic idea: A Tale of Two Shinjis

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:04 pm

I've been mulling over an idea for a fanfic. What if Canon!Shinji and Manga!Shinji were twins, or rather, what if Gendo and Yui had identical twins who would grow up to have the personalities of Canon!Shinji and Manga!Shinji? Let's say when Yui died, Gendo sent CanonShinji to live with his sensei and MangaShinji to live with his aunt & uncle. They finally see eachother once again when Gendo calls them to Tokyo-3. How would that work out? How would it affect their relations with others? How would they react to each other's personality?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:22 pm

Manga Shinji would beat up anime Shinji--who'd be too chickenshit to do anything--in a fit of RAEG then run off to sulk angrily to himself.

Or something.

But yeah, my guess is they wouldn't really get along even though they're the same person deep down. Manga-Shinji is full of RAEG, Anime-Shinji is passive except when pushed.

Also, how would you tell them apart if they have the same name? Their shirt color as well as their eye/hair color, I guess? :smirk: (Anime Shinji (blue eyes, brown hair) has a blue undershirt with his school uniform, manga Shinji (brown eyes, black hair) has a yellow one with a red stripe.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:36 pm

What if Gendo and Yui had 38 kids and named them all George?

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:03 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Also, how would you tell them apart if they have the same name?

Well, I was thinking Canon!Shinji, according to the iron law of first-come, first-serve, would remain named Shinji, while Manga!Shinji would have to have a different name that begins with shirou or something else that begins with "shi-".

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:What if Gendo and Yui had 38 kids and named them all George?

Esselfortium, you lovable rogue.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:51 am

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:Well, I was thinking Canon!Shinji, according to the iron law of first-come, first-serve, would remain named Shinji, while Manga!Shinji would have to have a different name that begins with shirou or something else that begins with "shi-".

Better solution: Shinji's long-lost brother is Emiya Shirou. Suddenly, SEELE and NERV find themselves in the midst of a grail war.

Better yet: Manga Shinji and Anime Shinji plow through the story together, bitterly hating each other for the flaws they highlight about themselves. Then Rebuild Shinji shows up, mopes for three hours, kills one of them by mistake, and then destroys the universe while attempting to slit his wrists with a prog-knife.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

GoatMan
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby GoatMan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:54 am

Already did something like this. Rather than a twin brother, though, in my fanfic, you find out the kick-ass Shinji is actually a genetically engineered clone of canon Shinji, meant to pilot the Eva to keep canon Shinji out of combat. So, think of the clone as "Boba Fett" Shinji.

Remember! No disintegration!

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:22 pm

View Original PostGoatMan wrote:Already did something like this. Rather than a twin brother, though, in my fanfic, you find out the kick-ass Shinji is actually a genetically engineered clone of canon Shinji, meant to pilot the Eva to keep canon Shinji out of combat. So, think of the clone as "Boba Fett" Shinji.

While it looks like an interesting read, It's not quite what I had in mind. While identical twins could be considered natural clones of each other, they are thematically different from clones. But most importantly, manga!Shinji =/= Boba Fett. The idea is to have Manga!Shinji and Canon!Shinji interacting in the same universe and coming to terms with themselves and one another. It's a bit different from "Shinji this is the Clone Sue(sorry but the moment I heard "kick-ass Shinji!", the marty stu alarms in my head went off) who will be upstaging you. Now go stand by Fuyutsuki and mope quietly like a good background character."

GoatMan
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby GoatMan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:37 pm

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:While it looks like an interesting read, It's not quite what I had in mind. While identical twins could be considered natural clones of each other, they are thematically different from clones. But most importantly, manga!Shinji =/= Boba Fett. The idea is to have Manga!Shinji and Canon!Shinji interacting in the same universe and coming to terms with themselves and one another. It's a bit different from "Shinji this is the Clone Sue(sorry but the moment I heard "kick-ass Shinji!", the marty stu alarms in my head went off) who will be upstaging you. Now go stand by Fuyutsuki and mope quietly like a good background character."

Well, if you wanted to take it in a rather unique direction, what if you had Instrumentality occur as an interdimensional anomaly, which, perhaps, the manga Instrumentality and anime Instrumentality coexist in some shared realm of space-time? In that case, you could have manga Shinji and anime Shinji directly interacting with each other, and resolving their situations, while also serving to analyze the perception of the others in the two universes?

Of course, this brings up the possibility of having an alternate Evaverse with humans on the brink of losing the Angel War, and Instrumentality is forced before the Angels are defeated as a last-ditch effort to regroup.

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

Re: Fanfic idea: A Tale of Two Shinjis

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:13 pm

View Original PostSun Stealer wrote:I've been mulling over an idea for a fanfic. What if Canon!Shinji and Manga!Shinji were twins, or rather, what if Gendo and Yui had identical twins who would grow up to have the personalities of Canon!Shinji and Manga!Shinji? Let's say when Yui died, Gendo sent CanonShinji to live with his sensei and MangaShinji to live with his aunt & uncle. They finally see eachother once again when Gendo calls them to Tokyo-3. How would that work out? How would it affect their relations with others? How would they react to each other's personality?

Add twin Asuka's and you have my approval. Seriously, it sounds interesting, though it seems the idea has been taken. How about Shinji and his twin sister shinko, synapsid would approve.

@esselfortium:
That sounds swell, and they shall have a pet do-do bird named fluffy.
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

The Bastard King
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby The Bastard King » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:00 pm

Shinji sandwich with a slice of Misato.

This would be a whole lot better if the twin was a Shinjiko.
16:26 <BastardKing> KICK REASON TO THE CURB
16:26 <Fuyutsuki> BastardKing fires the kick cannon and it EXPLODES IN HIS FACE

Sun Stealer
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Fanfic idea: A Tale of Two Shinjis

•      
  •      

Postby Sun Stealer » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:38 am

View Original Postsupershinjiasukashipper wrote:Add twin Asuka's and you have my approval. Seriously, it sounds interesting, though it seems the idea has been taken. How about Shinji and his twin sister shinko, synapsid would approve.

I'm actually surprised it hasn't been done more. I had started this thread assuming someone had already had the idea, this thread was merely to take the concept and flesh it out.

I was only able to find a handful of the "Shinji and Combat Clone/SIAO/"Shinji-as-he-should-be"/Ubermensh who wears all black because he's such a a bad ass and wields a Bushmaster ACR" variety. I can sort of understand. After all, how is a marty stu supposed to get his DJ Croft on, when Shinji is hovering in the background like the grim specter of death, come to drag the suethor's escapist fantasy into the hereafter, leaving him alone with reality.

I didn't bother doing a search for Shinji and Shinko stories because I'm fairly certain it's probably in the low hundreds due to Shinko's popularity.

And before anyone asks, don't even mention any other possible, baser types of twin fic. We are already treading on thin ice by even discussing scenarios involving the existence of two Shinji's in the same room. We have managed to remain under their radar for now, but mentioning the dreaded name of the Y--i fangirls, and their search engines would lock onto us and they would swarm upon us in a frenzy, spreading madness and devouring cats like the cults of Kawo...Dionysus, of old.

As for twin Asuka's, they'd probably strangle each other before the "Over the Rainbow" even set sail for Japan. Either way, you still end up with only one Asuka by the time Gaghiel attacks.

Return to “Fanfiction”