FIFA WORLD CUP: south africa 2010

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

carla
Ireul
Ireul

FIFA WORLD CUP: south africa 2010

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:44 pm

i know the WC isn't exactly a huge deal for a lot of people in the US, but i thought i'd make use of the wide demographic of this board and give this thread a try (mainly because the france-uruguay match just started and i'm about to bust a gut here).

so: anyone excited about this? watching the matches? cheering for your home team? cheering for some other team? tell us all. :toothy:
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:45 pm

There had been a few arguments that turned into brawls at my school over the world cup.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:45 pm

Anybody but fucking France, the cheating shower of cheese eating surrender monkeys.

If France do well, it's despicable. they're only there in the first place because of a blatant act of cheating and if they win because of it it devalues the whole sport.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:50 pm

Portugal vs. Brazil will be intense shit.

I've got family in both places so this will be quite interesting.

My hopes are for Portugal, though, because I'm getting somewhat tired of all the Brazilians and their "we rule at soccer HUEHUEHUE" shit.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:59 pm

I'll be watching the games while working on other things on my computer. I don't have a clear favorite at the moment, but I hope Portugal will fail in an epic manner. I've hated their team for years - especially after the Netherlands match in the 2006 tournament.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:21 pm

Dartz wrote:Anybody but fucking France, the cheating shower of cheese eating surrender monkeys.

colorful! irish, huh? :sweatdrop: i'm not french but they've historically been my favorite team, so i'm definitely still rooting for them. i agree about that hand goal, though, that was just ridiculous. :grmf: but if they somehow prove themselves good enough to advance, that's fine with me.

i'm thinking the netherlands is going to take this one, though. those guys have one heck of a team. they won every single game in the qualification round. whut. either way i'm hoping for a first-time winner this time around. that would be nice.

halftime! 0-0, france mostly doing the attacking but nothing concrete yet.
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:26 pm

Oz wrote: but I hope Portugal will fail in an epic manner. I've hated their team for years - especially after the Netherlands match in the 2006 tournament.

Oh for heavens sake, Oz.... that better be a troll... you underestimate my sportfaggotry.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:28 pm

I've been waiting for the Netherlands to win ever since I started watching the international football matches in 1998. They have been consistently awesome.

EDIT: Ran, that was not a troll. I hate Portugal when it comes to football. Those arrogant and dirty bastards.
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:30 pm

World Cup dude, the best thing in the world. Probably after Coke. /Olympics come afterwards.

As an original greek person /not gonna say girls, cause ZOMG NOT A GIRLY SPORT!111/ i spazz every 4 years non-stop.

I am actually supporting ~~football~~ usually in these kind of worldwide competitions and do not side with national teams much /not even mine/ but i gotta say, France is in my shit-section. Not cool Henry, not cool. The hand of God was only bestowed to Maradona. No one else. And to think Henry was my fav player back in the Arsenal Reign Days. Huh. Time sure changes things.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Dark doom » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:37 pm

I couldnt frankly care less.
Football's my no.2 hate in the world.
It just doesn't interest me at all.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:44 pm

I think the winner of the World Cup will be Germany, the land of beer, warfare, and Asuka.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:09 pm

View Original Postcarla wrote:colorful! irish, huh? :sweatdrop: i'm not french but they've historically been my favorite team, so i'm definitely still rooting for them. i agree about that hand goal, though, that was just ridiculous. :grmf: but if they somehow prove themselves good enough to advance, that's fine with me.

i'm thinking the netherlands is going to take this one, though. those guys have one heck of a team. they won every single game in the qualification round. whut. either way i'm hoping for a first-time winner this time around. that would be nice.

halftime! 0-0, france mostly doing the attacking but nothing concrete yet.

It's still the fruit of the poisoned tree. No matter what happens, whether they win or not, they will be forever associated with that handball.

Nil all end... was hoping Uruguay would embarrass them, but unfortunately not.

And yes, I am a colourful, vindictive Irish fucker. Very fucking colourful :P
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:58 pm

EDIT: Ran, that was not a troll. I hate Portugal when it comes to football. Those arrogant and dirty bastards.

Oh, goddamnit Oz. We shared so much. Appreciation for Naruse and Sono and Battle Royale and shit. But now this.

Perhaps you can see where people of Portuguese descent like myself get all their badassery and coolness from. I wouldn't troll if I wasn't arrogant and pretentious, nor would I get in massive flame wars about art and shit. Portuguese football wouldn't be so awesome unless we hauled ass and took names while we were doing it.

Speaking of which I bet Jimbo has Portuguese blood in him.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:41 pm

I was hoping a thread like this would come up because I do have a question for the people who follow the sport more regularly than I do. My question is whether the US team is taken seriously by the other countries? I know we're not that great, but we do seem to be getting better. I think we took second the Confederations Cup (I think that's what the event is called) last year.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:12 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:"we rule at soccer JAJAJAJAJA" shit.

Fixed.

View Original PostHoly Diver wrote:I think the winner of the World Cup will be Germany, the land of beer, warfare, and Asuka.

I highly doubt it - one of the unwritten rules of futbol is that the Soccer Gods always come from Latin America. ALWAYS.

When it comes down to it, Soccer Gods > Beer, warfare, Asuka. Maybe not at any other time of the year, but it's true during the World Cup matches.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

master_lloyd
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby master_lloyd » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:44 am

ABE - Anyone but England.
Neon Genesis Evangelion (from the Greek Ευανγελιον, meaning "Gigantic robots piloted by mentally ill children")
Eva Facts:
-Gendo's final silenced line to Ritsuko was "I'm going to shoot you now."
-Nagisa Kaworu kills a kitten every time you masturbate.
-Kaji's first and last name was Kaji

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:16 am

@cyharding: My opinion of USA's national team is that it is some sort of a joke. It has pretty much always failed in the World Cup tournaments as long as I've watched them.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:25 am

After 1966, I don't see the point of ever having held this again.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:32 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:After 1966, I don't see the point of ever having held this again.

:lol: I partly agree with that sentiment. It's a shame England has failed to win the Cup afterwards even though the team has always been competent enough for the finals in my opinion.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:33 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:My question is whether the US team is taken seriously by the other countries?

Huum. Not much to be honest.

As for England national team, used to be my favorite back in Euro'96. With Seaman, Gascoicne and Shearer. After that, pretty much the end. D:
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”