Dialogues

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

ran1
Banned

Dialogues

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 9:15 am

There's been a bit of conversation about a dialogue section in the Wiki-- Well a lot of dialogue that consists of me hinting at/bugging Ornette/OMF about it, but nevertheless, I still would like to see this project at least have a foundation while the commentary transfer is still going on.

I think that that dialogues like Elevators and Eva Lifts and perhaps even LAEM: The Worst Case Scenario would be awesome to bring over from the old commentary site, and I think that we could transfer older threads from the discussion forum which have lost steam, and therefore are finding there way to the back pages.

As opposed to flipping through the pages and pages of discussions looking for the topics, one could just reference a particular wiki page that has the dialogue on it.

Now, by no means am I suggesting that we move every old discussion topic in the back pages to the Wiki, but I think that there are some excellent discussions from the forum like

Was Emo Asuka trying to be An Hero in Episode 24?

EoE: Anon NERV Girl is dead

Chief Ikari Changed after that day

[Just three examples, there is a more significant amount of discussion worthy of transfer. Feel free to nominate/add any in this thread]

Obviously its not a "dialogue" in the sense that it's only two or three people talking, but I figure that when it goes onto the wiki, posts like "Nice job ___" and "You're just over-analyzing" would be rendered useless and dropped from the wiki entirely. Consider it a condensing of arguments.

Then there's the dialogues that go on as a result of an essay or particular theory that's already been pre-written. Like for instance, Sheldon Danielson's essay discussion or my montage paper discussion. Since there are really very few people commenting on it, it won't be too hard to transfer over the good stuff, and if the essay section gets up and running, then we can link the essay and discussion together in the Wiki.

Also, a quick note: I found some really interesting material from Xard and Zuggy. I realize that they're both banned [Xard banned makes me :cry:] but their comments and material is still kosher to use right? When they weren't trolling they had some awesome stuff to say.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:09 pm

In fact some material has been transferred but I accept the overall point that the wiki should serve as a place of general archival of memorable threads, memes and theories.

One slight issue here is that some of this material is probably destined in some way for commentary supplemental pages(the elevators pages already is). Now, perhaps some duplication across the commentary and wiki sections is no real harm—in other words, the Elevators page could be duplicated on the wiki as for example occurs with some of the Fly me to the moon material, which is duplicated on the ED commentary page. This will need some coordination with the Commentary editor.

One point to be noted here is where such material should go. Things like LAEM: The Worst Case Scenario are already in the "Omake" section of the commentary site. Now, I have begun work on transferring this section here, but the point has already been raised that perhaps Omake would be better off in its own section on the Wiki. In other words in an "Omake" namespace. (Would the Geektionary go here too?) Where other material is best placed is also somethign that should be discussed.

Obviously its not a "dialogue" in the sense that it's only two or three people talking, but I figure that when it goes onto the wiki, posts like "Nice job ___" and "You're just over-analyzing" would be rendered useless and dropped from the wiki entirely. Consider it a condensing of arguments.

Some editing will obviously have to take place to give any theories encountered a more complete presentation. Along these lines, I would say that such pages best belong in the Theory and Analysis section.

Organisation and to some extent new material on the wiki has been a little neglected to some extent lately. It would be great to hear some suggestions from everyone on how best we can add and organise new materials. I may look into creating some new name spaces in the meantime.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:57 am

The test page for the dialogue is here:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/User:Ran1/Dialogue_Test_Page

Consider it the 'raw' version.
Some edits have been made, specifically the more Off-topic posts and bladerj trolls. I cut it right before supershinjiasukashipper made the infamous landmine that turned the conversation into a spree of herps and derps.

If anyone thinks that anything else should be added, by all means, make note of it here.

The original link to the discussion is in my first post.

Its got the images and the fancy new forum quote template feature, but I'm curious about anyone who could give me some tips on how better to format the page so its a bit more aesthetically pleasing.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:36 pm

I can't add much right now on certain specifics, but here's what I got:

This was always in the back of my mind (somewhere or other), and it's wonderful to see ran1 bring it up on his own initiative. There is a lot of gold buried in old threads.

My suggestion would be for condensates of more "serious" discussions would, as OMF noted, be in T&A. The silly stuff like Dr. Nick's Worst Case Scenario (which IMO is still an utterly awesome work of satire, no matter what he says :toothy: ), or whatever seems unclassifiable, would go into Omake.

My own thought would be to place emphasis on those things furthest from the current community's consciousness, i.e., stretching back to our earliest existing archives from ANF (which includes material currently not online in any form*), but ultimately this is such an overwhelming undertaking it depends on whatever the contributor is motivated to take on.

* For downloading pleasure (and doesn't include everything that Ornette has, but whatever):

http://evacommentary.org/misc-files/ANF_pre-threadripper.rar
http://evacommentary.org/misc-files/ANF_2004-06_and_previous.rar
http://evacommentary.org/misc-files/ANF_2006-04.zip
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:32 pm

Well, now that I'm back, I just want to re-commit to starting this project up again. Before my bitch-fit that got me banned, I got about this far:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/User:Ran1/Dialogue_Test_Page

Basically, if there's any new assets that have been added to the wiki that can streamline this admittedly arduous task, I'm all ears, and I'd be more than willing to crowd-source some of the work here.

For anyone that doesn't know, I'd refer to you the first post in this thread, but to re-iterate

There's been a bit of conversation about a dialogue section in the Wiki-- Well a lot of dialogue that consists of me hinting at/bugging Ornette/OMF about it, but nevertheless, I still would like to see this project at least have a foundation while the commentary transfer is still going on.

I think that that dialogues like Elevators and Eva Lifts and perhaps even LAEM: The Worst Case Scenario would be awesome to bring over from the old commentary site, and I think that we could transfer older threads from the discussion forum which have lost steam, and therefore are finding there way to the back pages.

As opposed to flipping through the pages and pages of discussions looking for the topics, one could just reference a particular wiki page that has the dialogue on it.

To get at an even easier summary: there are a lot of quality discussions here that deserve a page on the wiki dedicated to their analysis of certain elements of Eva. That trash dump of a page I linked up top is potentially how the threads would look, at it would sort of serve the same purpose for Evangelion's themes the commentary does for individual episodes.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”