Why does Eva and its fanbase have such a bad...[reputation?]

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Why does Eva and its fanbase have such a bad...[reputation?]

Postby CyberXIII » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:54 pm

reputation?

It seems that everywhere I go, someone's whining worse than the cast did about ANYTHING.

Either they're whining about how the series was so incomprehensible (evidently they only saw the ending), the cast was whiny, or other such crap.
How did this get started?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

We're all lunatics, that's why.

Postby Killer Bee » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:56 pm

Isn't every fanbase like that, though?

...and by fanbase, we're talking about the types of fans who post on Internet forums, right?

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Why does Eva and its fanbase have such a bad...

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:01 pm

View Original PostCyberXIII wrote:It seems that everywhere I go, someone's whining worse than the cast did about ANYTHING.
You'll find this anywhere on the net. It's no big deal.
They're people like that for every series, movie, fanbase, etc.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Postby esselfortium » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:12 pm

I sometimes get the impression that there's actually some other Evangelion TV series that other people saw, in which Rei became a giant goddess of death sometime around episode 2 and the remaining episodes were spent with all the characters floating lifelessly in a black void contemplating the nature of existence, because I'm left wondering the same thing you are.

In lieu of the actual understanding that continues to elude me, I'm just going to blame EGF.
Last edited by esselfortium on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby oOoOoOo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:14 pm

As a show designed, on some level, to frustrate expectations...

That's my theory, at least. A lot of people (according to scientific studies) feel that the show "makes no sense". I don't know, but I watched the thing quite inebriated and managed to piece it all together, but then, apparently I watch things with a ravenous intensity.

Is that it then? Do all Eva fans watch things with a ravenous intensity?

Some people (surveys say) didn't like how whiny the dub could come across. I liked some characters better when I finally saw the show with subtitles.

Also, maybe some people have a thing against "gingers" and/or Germans, or half-Germans. Asuka does happen to represent the bloodlines of the two chief Axis powers, which might ruin the entire show for some. Gendo's gloves aren't that fashionable. He has a funny beard. Rei's hair is blue which is obviously impossible and offensive. I can only speculate until we bring these "haters" before a tribunal of truth and reconciliation.

EDIT: Oh, and that "V" guy. Blame him.
EDIT(2): At least, that's what I'm told. Somebody link me up.
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby CyberXIII » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:16 pm

If this was any other fanbase, I'd agree.

But Eva brings in about as much acidic bile as Twilight in some circles. It's one of the most polarizing franchises I've ever dealt with, and I was there when the Final Fantasy fanbase cracked itself apart.

And everyone hates the NGE fanbase. Evidently, the 22nd letter of the alphabet gets around a lot more than I thought. The general consensus is that the fanbase is a bunch of pretentious, whiny, psychologically disturbed douchebags that are obsessed with finding "symbolism" in every frame of animation.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:19 pm

Evangelion is popular and complex. Popular things get flack for being popular, and complex things get flack for being incomprehensible and/or pretentious. Since NGE is both, it kinda gets shmurmamered by haters. But seeing as how its popularity is still growing and still pretty strong, I don't think their voices have much effect.

Also, I think it's partially fighting a shift in perspective. As times have changed, fans have grown used to grimdark srs bidniss animus like Ergo Proxy and the like, so NGE--with all of the acclaim it gets for being grimdark srs bidniss--probably gets flack for not presenting itself as such initially. And once it DOES get to that point, it vamps up the intensity and demands a certain amount of attention from its viewers that stuff like Ergo Proxy (etc) don't really demand. And then there's the unparalleled mindfuck that is EoE, which is guaranteed to polarize viewers.

EDIT
CyberXIII wrote:The general consensus is that the fanbase is a bunch of pretentious, whiny, psychologically disturbed douchebags that are obsessed with finding "symbolism" in every frame of animation.
:lol:

ran1
Banned

Postby ran1 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:24 pm

CyberXIII wrote:The general consensus is that the fanbase is a bunch of pretentious, whiny, psychologically disturbed douchebags that are obsessed with finding "symbolism" in every frame of animation.

In academia, we call those film theorists.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:45 pm

Everything that is popular has its hardcore fanbase despised or disliked by the outside.

But if you had to break it down into a few things:

1) The show is a whiney, convoluted mind-fuck.

2) The fans masturbate mentally.

3) There are figures of Rei crouched over a urinal.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:57 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Evangelion is popular and complex. Popular things get flack for being popular, and complex things get flack for being incomprehensible and/or pretentious.
You left out the fact that it's extremely provocative. Provocative art provokes polar reactions. I always reference the fact that Stravinsky's Rite of Spring caused a riot at its premieres with shouts of "genius!" from the progressives and "trash!" from the conservatives. NGE is pretty similar, but in a different context.

View Original Postran1 wrote:In academia, we call those film theorists.
Or if you change a few words around ("frame of animation" with "word in every sentence) you could apply it to lit theorists, deconstructionists, etc. The same applies across all the arts.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Shazlicks
Embryo

Postby Shazlicks » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:56 am

Any show/topic that has a fairly large fanbase will have a few bad eggs or very passionate followers

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:47 am

Its because Evangelion has a tendency of causing people to become over zealous and announce that NGE is a "Fukken masterpeece", and denounce any other anime that is compared to NGE.

Between us, I DO think NGE makes all the other anime I've seen so far look like a joke, but its still retarded to force your opinions on people, especially when a lot of fans don't back up their reasons besides saying its SOOOO DEEP

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:20 am

It is a popular mainstream show. Thus huge fandom. Thus, probability of whiny/idiotic/baw/rage people being a part of it. Thus..fandom sucks most of the time. Hello society.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

oOoOoOo
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby oOoOoOo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:23 am

Yojimbo-kun replies...as expected.

But I do agree. The show's not the most straightforward narrative in the world, which I like. ^_^
~ O-chan is soooo 2D right now.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:57 am

1. People who aren't psychologically damaged and/or intensely introverted won't get much from it. To them the overall message is a big steaming pile of DUH.

2. It tricks fans of action/comedy/harem series into watching, then does a bait-and-switch on them halfway through. They didn't sign up to watch all this psychobabble, so to their perspective the show has betrayed them.

3. As a popular show there is an element of perceiving that EVERYONE says it's awesome, which leads to people passionately discounting it for the same reason some folks stop liking a band as soon as it gets a wider audience. Overzealous fans who want to "revolutionize" the fandom or "raise the discussion to a scholarly level" don't help this at all.

4. Compared to most things in the market it really is rather incomprehensible and pretentious. The sort of show you can only understand if you pay attention while it's on and remember to watch the episodes in order. People fear and hate what they don't understand.

5. To most of the new wave of egocentric twitter/youtube/facebook kids, anything made before they discovered anime has zero relevance. Why would they watch something OLD?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Dark doom » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:46 pm

people jusy like nice simple thing's.
And NGE is anything but simple.
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:33 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Yojimbo-kun replies...just as planned.

Fixed.

But anyway, NGE itself is somewhat difficult to understand - hell, a lot of newer members of this forum that don't quite have the understanding of NGE that the older ones do get confused and misinterpret a lot of the series (and then go into pointless arguments regarding who's the hottest character, which characters should date, without any sort of knowledge of why most scenarios they bring up would be doomed).

Truth be told, we're a lot like other anime fanbases - the difference is that we have a head twice as big, the extra space being made up of 15% brain matter, 40% hot air, and 45% ego.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

Postby carla » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:35 pm

first, EVA is massively popular, and has been done in SO many ways (*sings* the gainax cash cow goes "moo"...), for SO many audiences, that it makes sense that the fandom will be big, chaotic and filled with purists.

second, EVA is a deep, complex show that invites its audience to dig deeper. it's also very ambiguous, and the creators themselves have kept it that way even years after the story was supposedly over. as such, it's only expected that there will be a LOT of disagreement over what something means/what it should mean, which combined with the previous point makes for LOUD arguments.

third, it's also very deep, so it doesn't attract just any random over-excited tween-- you have people that really put a lot of thought into their interpretation of every little detail in the series, people who make long and detailed essays, who go through the video frame by frame. it's the kind of show where people might agree completely on the general, but disagree on the particular-- and the particular spins whole new debates in and on itself. so you end up with a fandom filled with a bunch of elitists (i say that will all the love in the world, you guys) that live to overanalyze every single detail, and who disagree even within the aspects they technically have in common.

it's no wonder it looks bad from the outside. :tongue:

that said, i've seen worse. at least the days of sending death threats to anno seem to be over, and most of the people don't go "OMFG THEY'VE RUINED THE ENTIRE SERIES AND MY ENTIRE LIFE I'LL HATE THEIR EFFING GUTS FOREVER LET'S BOYCOTT THE MOVIE!" just because they changed Shinji's eye color from the anime to the spin-off manga (although there was the sohryu/shikinami thing...). i think it's probably because the fandom is older on average... younger fandoms are way more impulsive and prone to explosive arguments.
bittersweet ending: episode 24. the angels are gone and mankind is safe... but tokyo-3 has been ruined; Kaji is dead; toji is a cripple; kensuke, hikari, and their families have moved away, taking pen-pen with them; Asuka is catatonic; ritsuko is in prison; Misato is a nervous wreck; Rei is "the third one"; and Shinji is utterly broken psychologically after having to kill the only person who has offered him unconditional love in the course of the whole series. come the movie? don't worry! it gets worse! ~from the source of all wisdom in the world.

kNET | GAW | my graphics | my fanfics | re-deconstruct: the EVA rebuild fanlisting

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:39 pm

View Original PostVegeta 20XX wrote:
oOoOoOo wrote:Yojimbo-kun replies...just as planned..

Fixed.

I think you mean..

oOoOoOo wrote:Yojimbo-kun replies...Keikaku doori..

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:46 pm

View Original PostoOoOoOo wrote:Yojimbo-kun replies...as expected.
View Original PostVegeta 20XX wrote:Fixed.
Hehe, though I don't think the OP "planned" for me to reply...

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:I think you mean..
Anyone care to translate the moonspeak?

View Original PostNemZ wrote:[*]As a popular show there is an element of perceiving that EVERYONE says it's awesome, which leads to people passionately discounting it for the same reason some folks stop liking a band as soon as it gets a wider audience.
It's called a backlash and, yeah, it happens to everything that's popular.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Overzealous fans who want to "revolutionize" the fandom or "raise the discussion to a scholarly level" don't help this at all.
I don't think most casual fans are even aware of the fandom on this level. They may catch some glimpses of this kind of thought but I don't think they think of it much differently than the fans that treat Star Wars and LotR like a scholarly subject or religion. There's very little difference. Plus, as I've said before, most of what we do around here is basically the same thing that goes on with any scholarly subject minus the bloated essays and references. It's basically scholarly analysis in the form of discussion.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”