Rebuild-specific References/Homages/Etc.

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Rebuild-specific References/Homages/Etc.

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:08 pm

[Thread was initially locked for redundant start, but I reopened it because a thread dedicated to homages/references/etc. in NME specifically didn't seem like a bad idea. -Reichu]

Interesting find. Montage music inspired from another film:

http://wildgrounds.com/index.php/2010/05/31/the-man-who-stole-evangelion-2-22/

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Yeah, we've known about that for a while and have discussed it in IRC. Has it not been posted here before?
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:11 pm

It was discussed in the music thread.

The track is used more than once in the film, however-- the full version is heard during a montage elsewhere in the film. You also hear the motif throughout the soundtrack; it's Inspector Yamashita's theme.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:16 pm

Welp, no need for this one then, I guess.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:02 pm

Was it just me or was Mari/Shinji's kiss scene some sort of homage to Asuka/Shinji's almost kiss in NGE episode 9? the way Mari seemed to be closing her eyes and the angle made it seem like she was lying down, sleeping while Shinji was blushing a bright red.
Last edited by Eric Blair on Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

Taekmkm
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Taekmkm » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:30 pm

INAZUMA KICK!!!!
We watched 'The Lion King' in my math class once. After it was over, the teacher passed out worksheets that said: "If the circle of life had a diamter of 46 inches..."

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:57 pm

View Original PostTaekmkm wrote:INAZUMA KICK!!!!
Rider Kick.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:20 pm

(I'm not taking credit for spotting all of these, just listing them)

The conclusion of the Zeruel fight contains an homage to episode 39 of Revolutionary Girl Utena.

The decontamination process at the water treatment plan is an homage to The Andromeda Strain.

The dummy plug activation noise is a line of dialog from Colossus: The Forbin Project

The layout of various Nerv installations borrow location names from The Divine Comedy.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

sephirotic
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby sephirotic » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:11 pm

View Original PostZapX wrote:Yeah, we've known about that for a while and have discussed it in IRC. Has it not been posted here before?

Sorry for the off post, but where do you guys chat in irc? With channel/serve? Can i have the link? thanx!
-----------------------------------------------------
Re-watching Eva since 1999
-----------------------------------------------------

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:23 pm

It's irc://irc.rizon.net/egf If you need help with registering, check out this thread.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:37 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:The decontamination process at the water treatment plan is an homage to The Andromeda Strain.

The layout of various Nerv installations borrow location names from The Divine Comedy.
These are not so Rebuild specific -- episodes 13 and 24 respectively.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:58 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:These are not so Rebuild specific -- episodes 13 and 24 respectively.
The Andromeda Strain's decontamination process was never referenced before and the terms from The Divine Comedy were used in a different context.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:02 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:The Andromeda Strain's decontamination process was never referenced before
I respectfully beg to disagree.

episode 13 wrote:* An elevator ascends the huge vertical hole

Asuka: What? Strip again?

Ritsuko: From here on in lies the ultra-clean room. Just showering and
changing your undies are not enough.

Asuka: Why do I gotta go thorough all these things just for the
auto-piloting test?

Ritsuko: Not only does time progress, but the technology of EVA as well.
We always need new data.

Asuka: What?

------------------
* Door Opens. All three pilots are naked.

Asuka: There, I'm just as you wanted--washed and cleansed seventeen times.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:06 am

k. Still, like The Divine Comedy, the reference is in a different context this time. And presented differently.

Tarage
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tarage » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:40 am

It's been said in other threads, but I'll repeat it here.

When the Dummy System is activated, it makes a sound, it sounds like some computer voice. Here is what it says when reversed:

"Freedom is an illusion. All you lose is the emotion of pride. To be dominated by me is not as bad for human pride as to be dominated by others of your species."

It's a quote from the cult classic sci-fi film Colossus: The Forbidden Project. The context is The speech that Colossus makes at the end of the film when he has successfully dominated humanity.

Another Sci-fi reference is the number on the shuttle Gendo is in. It's FX5 1701. The FX5 is a reference to Firebal XL5. The 1701 is the number of the Enterprise.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:09 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:k. Still, like The Divine Comedy, the reference is in a different context this time. And presented differently.

Although the references are different, the context is still the same. I believe in 22, when Eva-00 is getting the Spear, the deeper layers of Dogma are referred to as the "Malebolge Trenches". Rebuild keeps the "Nerve is Hell" thing, but references different parts of it, which really only makes it more overt.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:01 am

Rebuild DOES however expand into things like bases named Golgotha, which are not references to hell. This is a new context.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:22 am

You can't tell from still screenshots, but these columns in the back of Ritsuko's computer room have the red dots moving left and right at varying speeds.

I saw Jurassic Park in a theater tonight and noticed very similar columns all over the park's control room. Not exactly the same, but still black columns with red dots moving left and right. I don't own Jurassic Park on DVD, so a big thank you goes to Reichu for these screenshots.

Jurassic Park is a story about scientists who create clones of ancient, often giant organisms that they think they can control but they can't.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:17 pm

- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:41 pm

View Original PostEric Blair wrote:Was it just me or was Mari/Shinji's kiss scene

Wait, what? I just watched 2.22 recently and I don't remember that.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”