Eva 2.22 (and 3.33?) BD/DVD Audio issues?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:14 pm

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:But ode to joy blasting was such a huge part of the impact (no pun intended) of the final scenes.

I can't get in their heads. They better stay away from the sound track for the EoE BD.
I can only imagine Third Impact with no music.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:16 pm

I'd like to note that not everyone has the normal set up for the Evangelion movies. As I said the Evangelion movies are 6.1 TrueHD Surround, and if you set that when you do not have 6.1 chances are your audio experience will not be optimized. It's not an artistic choice on Khara's behalf, it's just that your set up is probably not optimized for the chosen audio. For example, high budget Hollywood movies are not commonly mastered in 6.1 yet. I know that Transformers 3, The Hobbit, The Avengers are 7.1 TrueHD, and it seems that 7.1 over the passed year is becoming more common as even smaller movies like Dredd seem to have 7.1 now, but that doesn't mean many people have 7.1 surround or even know a 7.1 exists. Even something as recent as Skyfall, The Dark Knight Rises, The Amazing Spider-Man, they're all mastered in 5.1 TrueHD and they are VERY recent films. Notice how 6.1 isn't mentioned anywhere outside of Evangelion, it's not your typical set up. You need to be properly set up higher than 5.1 to enjoy the audio how it was intended, or you lessen your volume to 5.1 (I think Rebuild has 5.1) or 2.0 Stereo. It'll have less of an impact I guess, but if you're watching the BD it'll still be lossless audio I imagine.

The Blu-ray format in general isn't as plug and play as DVD was. There are a ton of things which can cause the experience to be a little weird, and just quickly ripping a BD can cause all sorts of problems, though I admit I do not have experience in ripping Blu-ray's I just know that there are a lot of factors in what makes a good Blu-ray rip.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:19 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:I'd like to note that not everyone has the normal set up for the Evangelion movies. As I said the Evangelion movies are 6.1 TrueHD Surround, and if you set that when you do not have 6.1 chances are your audio experience will not be optimized. It's not an artistic choice on Khara's behalf, it's just that your set up is probably not optimized for the chosen audio. For example, high budget Hollywood movies are not commonly mastered in 6.1 yet. I know that Transformers 3, The Hobbit, The Avengers are 7.1 TrueHD, and it seems that 7.1 over the passed year is becoming more common as even smaller movies like Dredd seem to have 7.1 now, but that doesn't mean many people have 7.1 surround or even know a 7.1 exists. Even something as recent as Skyfall, The Dark Knight Rises, The Amazing Spider-Man, they're all mastered in 5.1 TrueHD and they are VERY recent films. Notice how 6.1 isn't mentioned anywhere outside of Evangelion, it's not your typical set up. You need to be properly set up higher than 5.1 to enjoy the audio how it was intended, or you lessen your volume to 5.1 (I think Rebuild has 5.1) or 2.0 Stereo. It'll have less of an impact I guess, but if you're watching the BD it'll still be lossless audio I imagine.

The Blu-ray format in general isn't as plug and play as DVD was. There are a ton of things which can cause the experience to be a little weird, and just quickly ripping a BD can cause all sorts of problems, though I admit I do not have experience in ripping Blu-ray's I just know that there are a lot of factors in what makes a good Blu-ray rip.

But as I have asked you a million times. What about all the other moves I have seen in theaters and then at home on a disk with the same music volume compared to voices as in the theater. They clearly lowered the music. This is just a fact like they did it for 2.22 before it. It was an awfule decision then. And it remains one now.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:20 pm

So if I understand Hatsumi92 correctly, the dvdrip shouldn't have that problem? I'll check, but I'm dubious.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:22 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:So if I understand Hatsumi92 correctly, the dvdrip shouldn't have that problem? I'll check, but I'm dubious.

It will have the exact same problem. just like 2.22 did. Check the beginning of this thread and remember how 2.22 did the exact same thing. This was a deliberate choice they made. Maby we can petition because I will not watch anything but the cam rip untill someone can fix the fact that they removed music from their movie. I still watch the 2.0 cam rip so I can get the full music sound.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:25 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:So if I understand Hatsumi92 correctly, the dvdrip shouldn't have that problem? I'll check, but I'm dubious.

Depends on if the DVD also has 6.1 albeit lossy audio it should do the same if it is 6.1. If it's doing it in 5.1 it's probably your set up, but it shouldn't. Also don't try it on a computer, proper BD player with the correct audio hooked up.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:27 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:Depends on if the DVD also has 6.1 albeit lossy audio it should do the same if it is 6.1. If it's doing it in 5.1 it's probably your set up, but it shouldn't. Also don't try it on a computer, proper BD player with the correct audio hooked up.

Why are you trying so hard to pretend they didnt lower the music volume. Have you watched the darn thing yet? your telling me ode to joy is even audible? When in the cam rip it is blasted so loud, and gives the most incredible epic feeling as it booms loudly over the action.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:27 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:Depends on if the DVD also has 6.1 albeit lossy audio it should do the same if it is 6.1. If it's doing it in 5.1 it's probably your set up, but it shouldn't. Also don't try it on a computer, proper BD player with the correct audio hooked up.

You are absolutely right. Using VLC there are two audio channels. If I switch to the second channel, the music volume is perfectly fine!!!

Problem solved. /thread.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:29 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:You are absolutely right. Using VLC there are two audio channels. If I switch to the second channel, the music volume is perfectly fine!!!

Problem solved. /thread.

omg win

how do I do this on a TV and BD player?!? and why dont I have to do it with any other movie I buy?

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 pm

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:Why are you trying so hard to pretend they didnt lower the music volume. Have you watched the darn thing yet? your telling me ode to joy is even audible? When in the cam rip it is blasted so loud, and gives the most incredible epic feeling as it booms loudly over the action.

Check the post below this one you just posted. I'm genuinely trying to help you out. I'm not being malicious or contrary for the sake of it. I just kind of know how this stuff works.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:30 pm

That, I sadly don't know. Maybe you have to "ask" the TV to combine the missing channels or something like that. There must be an option somewhere.

But now I can confirm that the music volume hasn't been decreased. What a relief!

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:33 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:That, I sadly don't know. Maybe you have to "ask" the TV to combine the missing channels or something like that. There must be an option somewhere.

But now I can confirm that the music volume hasn't been decreased. What a relief

Agreed I just confirmed this also. their was definitely an issue with all the rips. SO how do I fix it for home theater viewing.

Hatsumi I apologize as it seems they learned from what the did in 2.22 and actually did not do it again. when it on the correct channel the audio is normal. Sadly this isnt the case for 2.22 which I just retested and that actually does have the volume significantly lowered and the same fix dosnt exist. SO How do I make sure its using audio channel 2 when I watch on my home theater system?

Again sorry for not believing you.
Last edited by Kozar927 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:39 pm

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:Agreed I just confirmed this also. their was definitely an issue with all the rips. SO how do I fix it for home theater viewing.

Change the audio channels on the BD player to what you have set up. If you do not have surround and you're just using the TV speakers you'll probably want to set it to 2.0 stereo by probably pressing the "audio" button a few times until it sets to 2.0 stereo. If you have 5.1 surround, like speakers placed around the room, click it until it says that, etc.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:40 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:Change the audio channels on the BD player to what you have set up. If you do not have surround and you're just using the TV speakers you'll probably want to set it to 2.0 stereo by probably pressing the "audio" button a few times until it sets to 2.0 stereo. If you have 5.1 surround, like speakers placed around the room, click it until it says that, etc.

Cool tyvm

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:43 pm

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:Cool tyvm

No problem.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:51 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:No problem.

O lookie. the last one I checked. The 720p one. Audio is perfect. So someone got it right to bad it wasn't the 1080p rip :) ahh im so happy I could burst I really thought they ruined this home release so glad it actually was the rippers :) again so sorry for arguing so hard when I was wrong. Still though my point on 2.0 to 2.22 still stands. But they fixed it this time :) So anyone else wondering bout this watch the 720p rip to see what the audio will be like for real.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:53 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:I'd like to note that not everyone has the normal set up for the Evangelion movies. As I said the Evangelion movies are 6.1 TrueHD Surround, and if you set that when you do not have 6.1 chances are your audio experience will not be optimized.

I do find it a bit tedious that some Blu-rays or even DVDs lack a 2.0 mix all together. I'm afraid I'm in the same boat with everyone else when I say that I don't have a 6.1 set. I think one of my Sony DVD Players could fake a 2.0 mix by playing the various surround audio tracks in the stereo outputs. It was nowhere near perfect, but I could at least hear 2.22 on DVD better than on Blu-ray, which is really weird and kinda sucks when you think about it.

Then again, I've been needing to upgrade from my 90's Dean Markley house speakers for quite sometime now anyway. But it's more money I'm not willing to spend just yet.

I think an appropriate fix for someone not willing to spend the extra money in a home theater surround sound system (like me) would be to see if there's a program on the internet that could fake a 2.0 mix, kinda like my Sony DVD Player could. I'll dig around and post something when (if) I find it.

Kozar927
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Kozar927 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:56 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I do find it a bit tedious that some Blu-rays or even DVDs lack a 2.0 mix all together. I'm afraid I'm in the same boat with everyone else when I say that I don't have a 6.1 set. I think one of my Sony DVD Players could fake a 2.0 mix by playing the various surround audio tracks in the stereo outputs. It was nowhere near perfect, but I could at least hear 2.22 on DVD better than on Blu-ray, which is really weird and kinda sucks when you think about it.

Then again, I've been needing to upgrade from my 90's Dean Markley house speakers for quite sometime now anyway. It's more money I'm not willing to spend just yet.

I think an appropriate fix for someone not willing to spend the extra money in a home theater surround sound system (like me) would be to see if there's a program on the internet that could fake a 2.0 mix, kinda like my Sony DVD Player could. I'll dig around and post something when (if) I find it.

Thanks man. this is also a good idea. I do have 5.1 but at this point im not sure what would be better. I really dont know a whole lot about sound systems someone installed my surround for me.
Last edited by Kozar927 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:00 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I think an appropriate fix for someone not willing to spend the extra money in a home theater surround sound system (like me) would be to see if there's a program on the internet that could fake a 2.0 mix, kinda like my Sony DVD Player could. I'll dig around and post something when (if) I find it.

There's audio splitters that can simulate 5.1 with headphones, but I'm not sure it would work in this case.

DemonSpade
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DemonSpade » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:01 pm

View Original PostKozar927 wrote:Thanks man. this is also a good idea. I do have 5.1 but at this point im not sure what would be better. I really dont know a whole lot about sound systems someone installed my surround for me.

Wondering about this, too. I'll probably hook up my PC to my TV tomorrow, which has a 5.1 surround system. I guess I'll try both channels on my 1080p rip and see what sounds better

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”