Eva 2.22 (and 3.33?) BD/DVD Audio issues?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
berto
Tunniel
Tunniel

Eva 2.22 (and 3.33?) BD/DVD Audio issues?

•      
  •      

Postby berto » Thu May 27, 2010 12:00 am

Is anyone else not digging on the new music on the film?

I had a lot, alot-alot, of trouble with the .ass file, too. I had to download the program to re export the file and experimented a lot before I got one I could hard code onto my rip..
Not who you think I am.

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu May 27, 2010 12:30 am

I thought the music was excellent. Really top notch. Everything felt like it worked splendidly. That's saying a lot as I found Sagisu's Eva stuff pretty boring with a few exceptions.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Thu May 27, 2010 12:35 am

View Original Postberto wrote:Is anyone else not digging on the new music on the film?
Putting the fact that I didn't think Bardiel's song worked aside, the only complaint I have is that, because the music was not composed timed to the movie, often to make sure you can hear what you're supposed to hear the music is made very, very quiet, compromising the music. You can almost never hear the English lyrics that are usually unintelligible anyway (not that that's a bad thing-- they're often quite narmy). Composing and arranging music well means not having to turn the volume way down so a character's screaming doesn't clash with a choir. I'm sure composing this way (the music separately from the film then shoving the songs in, editing them to fit the film and adjusting the volume as need be) is common practice in Japan, but I don't like it.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:07 am

I loved the music in 2.0, it was cool how the Kare Kano tracks really fit into the movie. Be it said however I loved Sagisu's Eva work, which apparently isn't that loved here, with the exception of EoE, for whatever reason.
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soul Fire » Thu May 27, 2010 1:22 am

Ive been really annoyed by the way the music drops off in certain scenes aswell. I have been assuming up until know that it is a error in the dvd ripl. At one point where ''Fate'' kicks in, the whole thing just dissapeers. You can hardly hear the music which is a change they have made since the origional release at cinema. I've been overlaying the sound track from the OST over the top of the film with much trouble to get around this but it really is bugging me. Is this an intentional desision. It is a really shit change if this is the case....really shit.

I mean if this is an actual change they have made to the DVD/BD release then they have not even been subtle with the volume drop off. One minute you have the soundtrack and then you dont.
Yes I know Im posting a lot at the moment but I really dont have anything better to do at the moment and it takes my mind off the phone bill....

soundwaveCA
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby soundwaveCA » Thu May 27, 2010 1:38 am

View Original PostHeromaster111 wrote:I loved the music in 2.0, it was cool how the Kare Kano tracks really fit into the movie. Be it said however I loved Sagisu's Eva work, which apparently isn't that loved here, with the exception of EoE, for whatever reason.

Ditto, I loved the music as well and was lucky enough to be in Japan to see 2.0 in theaters wile I was over there and bought the soundtrack the next day.

SpazzedOut
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SpazzedOut » Thu May 27, 2010 4:30 am

View Original PostSoul Fire wrote:Ive been really annoyed by the way the music drops off in certain scenes aswell. I have been assuming up until know that it is a error in the dvd ripl. At one point where ''Fate'' kicks in, the whole thing just dissapeers.

This really bothers me as well. I'm hoping it's some sort of error.

IDontWantNoScrub
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby IDontWantNoScrub » Thu May 27, 2010 4:43 am

Never mind...
Last edited by IDontWantNoScrub on Thu May 27, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Thu May 27, 2010 7:52 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Putting the fact that I didn't think Bardiel's song worked aside, the only complaint I have is that, because the music was not composed timed to the movie, often to make sure you can hear what you're supposed to hear the music is made very, very quiet, compromising the music. You can almost never hear the English lyrics that are usually unintelligible anyway (not that that's a bad thing-- they're often quite narmy). Composing and arranging music well means not having to turn the volume way down so a character's screaming doesn't clash with a choir. I'm sure composing this way (the music separately from the film then shoving the songs in, editing them to fit the film and adjusting the volume as need be) is common practice in Japan, but I don't like it.

That sucks if its true! But that still doesnt explain why the music is better timed and mixed in the cam-rip than in the dvd and blu ray version. How is that even possible? I noticed that in the Unit 02 battle with clockiel, the music cuts out before the angel explodes and before Unit 02 lands on Misato's car. I honestly thought that was just a thing with the dvd rip. Same like the others. If its not, why the hell did they have to change it? THe music was perfectly timed in the theatrical version!!!

View Original PostSoul Fire wrote:Ive been really annoyed by the way the music drops off in certain scenes aswell. I have been assuming up until know that it is a error in the dvd ripl. At one point where ''Fate'' kicks in, the whole thing just dissapeers. You can hardly hear the music which is a change they have made since the origional release at cinema. I've been overlaying the sound track from the OST over the top of the film with much trouble to get around this but it really is bugging me. Is this an intentional desision. It is a really shit change if this is the case....really shit.

I mean if this is an actual change they have made to the DVD/BD release then they have not even been subtle with the volume drop off. One minute you have the soundtrack and then you dont.

Yes the volume drop off is also quite annoying! At times during the Sahaquiel battle, when the Evas are all rushing across the city to catch the angel, the sound effects were drowning out the music by a lot. Why the hell did they have to do this? B.S. I say! This is the first time i've seen this sound mixing problem on a Japanese anime. Whoever mixed and timed the music for this release should be fired. :angry!!:

Helius
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Helius » Thu May 27, 2010 8:23 am

Are you sure that's not because of a poor rip? Maybe other members can confirm this when they receive their DVDs/Blurays.
"Wars Begin Where You Will... But They Do Not End Where You Please."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 27, 2010 8:33 am

Does this have anything to do with the fact that the camrip was sampling the movie soundtrack from a proper sound system, whereas most of us probably are not viewing these rips with anything resembling a Home Theater (TM)?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Thu May 27, 2010 10:21 am

By that you meant that if someone has a home theater, maybe the music keeps going on the rear speakers (for exemple), instead of just stopping abruptly?

Joppu
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Joppu » Thu May 27, 2010 10:40 am

5.1 channel audio.

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soul Fire » Thu May 27, 2010 11:15 am

well I can say almost for certain that the audio problem is a fuck up special to both the blu ray release and dvd release. It isnt a rip error , which means for some very very strange reason they have decided to deliberatly fuck up the sound in various places. They have not done this even well. The music drops off like an on/off switch during fate and it is just really lazy if anything. I mean to do it in a scene where the music pretty much makes that scene as good as it is, it's just poor. When fate sets in you get the first note really loud and then it lowers the volume really drastically so you cannot hear the music over the other sounds.

I have a proper sound system which I forked out for recently to go with my new TV. It isnt the sound system people are using. They have actually messed the sound up on the DvD and Blu-Ray.

So yeah looks like someone somewhere messed up and quite spectacularly. It ruins the best scenes for me.

Id rather sit and time the OST soundtrack to DVD than listen to music that has been reduced to back ground shuffling noises.
Yes I know Im posting a lot at the moment but I really dont have anything better to do at the moment and it takes my mind off the phone bill....

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Thu May 27, 2010 11:49 am

Yeah I've just checked with the camrip and the timing is absolutely not the same. I think it was made on purpose, no other explanation...

System Shocker
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby System Shocker » Thu May 27, 2010 11:52 am

In End of Evangelion music was drastically lowered for some scenes too. The music is always way better when it's by itself on the cd. I'm using a logitech 5.1 surround system with a toslink cable and it sounds good.

Soul Fire
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Soul Fire » Thu May 27, 2010 12:22 pm

Well it really does ruin some of the best scenes in the film so it's really irritating. They have very clearly messed it up in places as well; the transition between the volume being lowered or the end of the song cutting off. This happens during Asuka's introduction fight with clockiel at the end. The song quite obviously just cuts off half way through whereas in the cam rip all of the audio was loud enough to hear and was perfectly timed with each scene.

Epic fail as far as I'm concerned.

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Thu May 27, 2010 12:49 pm

View Original PostSoul Fire wrote:Well it really does ruin some of the best scenes in the film so it's really irritating.

It ruins it only if you know changes were made. If you had no idea about those changes I'm pretty sure you'd find it normal.

I didn't even realize it myself and it still doesn't bother me at all. The music fades away as soon as clockiel dies, it's an artistic choice.

I find it better than in 2.00 where the music kept going loudly after the action was over.

EdZ
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby EdZ » Thu May 27, 2010 1:33 pm

Could those with an actual BD confirm this? Preferably with an actual surround system to avoid codec issues, and switching between audio tracks to make sure it isn't just a channel issue with one of them. IIRC, the BD should have both a 6.1 and a 2.0 track, though I don't know what encoding scheme is used for each (LPCM, DD, DTS, DD+, DTS-HD, etc).

Hawq
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Hawq » Thu May 27, 2010 1:37 pm

View Original PostSoul Fire wrote:well I can say almost for certain that the audio problem is a fuck up special to both the blu ray release and dvd release. It isnt a rip error , which means for some very very strange reason they have decided to deliberatly fuck up the sound in various places.
the cynic in me suspects if they deliberately messed it up its to sell 2.222 to us

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”