Interesting little details in 2.XX

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:03 pm

I noticed the outfit. Did not notice the eye colors before now... of ANY of them! Seriously, the ones behind her have pink eyes or something.

Xana
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Xana » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:00 pm

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:This has probably been mentioned before, but I just noticed it. In 2.22's "Next Time" preview, the Rei wearing the transfer student uniform appears to have blue or purple eyes:

SPOILER: Show

To me it looks like it's just the lighting, especially on AU Rei (looks at purple wall behind them). Orrr just a small color blooper, who knows....

Oh well, if I'm mistaken and it's not really the lighting, burn me to death.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:54 pm

View Original PostXana wrote:To me it looks like it's just the lighting, especially on AU Rei (looks at purple wall behind them). Orrr just a small color blooper, who knows....

I'm inclined to agree with this. The difference between the eye color of school-uniform-Rei and the [s]naked[/s]-child-Reis could have one of two explanations:

1. The taller Rei's eyes reflect the color of the luminescent purple walls, while the shorter Reis' eyes reflect something more white-ish that they are looking at. The off-screen light source of whatever is casting that white glare on the wall behind them could qualify (white glare on red iris should result in a pink-ish hue).

2. Lower animation quality. I'm no expert on that, but some posters have stated that the 3.0 preview at the end of 2.0 is of significantly lower graphical quality than the actual movie.

Both of these seem equally plausible to me. Also, I don't believe there is any more information to work on beyond this (at least not until "Fall 2012" is upon us), so my interest in this issue remains limited.

---

Edit: I just noticed the left-most child-Rei appears to be wearing clothing, as there is a dark blue strap over her shoulder, consistent with a summer dress, sleeveless shirt or similar garment. Perhaps this merits its own comment here.

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:11 pm

Mari's eye color in that same room is her usual blue,
so I don't think Rei's eye color has to do with the room reflection.

SPOILER: Show
In and of itself, self-evident.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:53 am

Likely just a stylistic flourish. They probably have mouths too even if they're not drawn.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:40 am

Also worth noting out, assuming that not everyone spotted it, that Mari is nekkid. And more obviously not happy about it. Indedd her expression and movement seems to suggest 'I know youre looking at them, knock it off'

A ritsuko-esque interrogation maybe?

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:08 am

I wouldn't be surprised if they're actually editing together two different reactions... that is, maybe Mari isn't looking at the Reis at all. If she is, whatever is causing that light is casting similar slivers behind all the girls, if they're standing across from eachother. Maybe they're standing in the same place at two different times?

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:15 am

Ive never even considered any single shot in that trailer to have any connection with any other.

Ive assumed that the gaggle of Reis and Mari are in seperate areas of the same location.

Likewise I dont neccessarily think Kaji is pointin ghis gun and shouting at Misato. He could be, but im not taking it for granted.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:17 am

The preview Rei do have different eye colors. Confirmed in storyboard. (Me no iro ga chigau = "Their eyes are different colors [from what you'd expect]".)

Rei and Mari are strongly implied to be in the same place. See the background tiles with the "Angel-sealing" glyphs.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:09 am

Its in the dub but even so -

Kensuke's line in the train station:
'...shes already a captain at our age, thats like a 10 year old going to med school'
is almost certainly a reference to:
Doogie Howser MD
"Fuyutsuki, When children are given their drivers license before being given sole responsibility for the survival of humanity, mecha anime will have crossed a dangerously illogical threshold"

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:20 am

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Its in the dub but even so -

Kensuke's line in the train station:
'...shes already a captain at our age, thats like a 10 year old going to med school'
is almost certainly a reference to:
Doogie Howser MD
If khara and GAINAX can be fans of older shows, why not Funimation? :tongue:

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:30 am

View Original PostJayfive wrote:Also worth noting out, assuming that not everyone spotted it, that Mari is nekkid. And more obviously not happy about it. Indedd her expression and movement seems to suggest 'I know youre looking at them, knock it off'

A ritsuko-esque interrogation maybe?

My personal impression from the trailer is that after the near TI was stopped, NERV gets stormed and everyone is imprisoned... and I guess the first person they'll want to imprison is the strange chick who took controll of Unit 02. The Seele guys probably want to know what she's up to, and she probably doesn't like answering questions. ("I don't like working with adults", cutting the intercom connection....)
They probably told her to take her glasses off, as well, which she definitely doesn't appreciate...

as for the Reis, I say that since they couldn't interrogate the Rei we know since she is currently liquified, they questioned... something else.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:15 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:My personal impression from the trailer is that after the near TI was stopped, NERV gets stormed and everyone is imprisoned... and I guess the first person they'll want to imprison is the strange chick who took controll of Unit 02. The Seele guys probably want to know what she's up to, and she probably doesn't like answering questions. ("I don't like working with adults", cutting the intercom connection....)
They probably told her to take her glasses off, as well, which she definitely doesn't appreciate...

as for the Reis, I say that since they couldn't interrogate the Rei we know since she is currently liquified, they questioned... something else.

I'm going to assume the purple room is a jail cell of some kind. If SEELE is interrogating them, the shadow would be a block/rectangle. Instead it's a person.

So I assume it's a SEELE agent coming into the cell, telling her that she's up next for the interrogation.

And as for Rei, I think that's probably spot on. Maybe SEELE will discover the truth behind the first child (if they did not know already)? That it's been a clone the whole time?

Though I'm assuming that Mari is like that because they took away her plugsuit (the only thing she had). So the others should be in clothes.

Rocky Raccoon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rocky Raccoon » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:39 am

Last edited by Rocky Raccoon on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StraightEdge
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby StraightEdge » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:03 pm

Did anyone ever speculate that 03s core soul is touji's mother?
...eh

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:04 pm

View Original PostStraightEdge wrote:Did anyone ever speculate that 03s core soul is touji's mother?

That wouldn't fit like in the TV series since Toji isn't a pilot.

Rocky Raccoon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rocky Raccoon » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:26 am

Last edited by Rocky Raccoon on Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:47 am

View Original PostJahoobano wrote:[That scene's] placement and the fact that it exists seem to suggest this, I think, since there doesn't seem to be another reason for Touji's sister to get better (I can't remember, does she die in TV?). If so, showing her alive would serve as a neat little bow to tie off that particular build up. By this I have no idea who's is suppose to be in Rebuild's Unit 03.

If this is actually common knowledge you'll have to forgive me, I only just reached such a conclusion right now.

If I recall correctly, NGE-Toji did not want to pilot Unit-03 because of what it did to Shinji. (Remember that he was deeply impressed with the way Shinji suffered during the battle with Shamshel, and became Shinji's friend afterwards.)
He only agreed to pilot Unit-03 because his family could not afford his sister's hospital treatment, and NERV would pay for it if he would pilot for them. Which was undoubtedly Gendo's style, using an injured little girl as blackmail to get what he wants from a potential pilot.

So no, I do not believe Toji's sister was the soul in Unit-03. Most likely it was his mother's, since his mother is never mentioned and therefore quite possibly dead.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:43 pm

View Original PostJornophelanthas wrote:Most likely it was his mother's, since his mother is never mentioned and therefore quite possibly dead.

It's Toji's mother, yes: http://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_Analysis:Eva-03%27s_Soul

Gendo and Ritsuko in Episode 17:

Episode 17 wrote:IKARI: What about the test pilot?

RITSUKO: The dummy plug is still risky. Of our prospective candidates...

IKARI: We'll select a fourth, then?

RITSUKO: Yes, there is one child whose core can be prepared immediately.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:17 pm

Isn't Unit-03 from the United States, making the core someone else's mother?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”