Did Anyone Actually Like FLCL?

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

CazMu
Embryo

Did Anyone Actually Like FLCL?

•      
  •      

Postby CazMu » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:42 pm

Pretty basic question

I have yet to watch the last episode because I found it so irratingly boring for some reason. However, I thought Haruko was pretty awesome actually...the rest was just eurghh =/

I heard though that Naota was actually based on Shinji, but a Shinji raised in different conditions.

Just wanted some opinions thats all )
This Shit's Gone Way Too Far

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:54 pm

FLCL was a awesome show even though I have not seen it in the past few years though.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

CazMu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CazMu » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:57 pm

I dont think It was bad, it just didn't appeal to me for some reason. But I just think Haruko was awesome, I just didn't really know what the point of the story was and even for such a such series it felt liek ti went super slowwwwwwwwwww
This Shit's Gone Way Too Far

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:27 pm

Lots of people swear by it as being (one of) the best series out there.

After having read the first manga volume and been distinctly unimpressed, I saw the first couple of episodes at the 2005 Worldcon and I was again underwhelmed -- definitely not inclined to go watch the rest.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:27 pm

I don't know how you experience time and space, but I still can't understand how you can call FLCL "slow". Maybe it's not the word you are looking for. It could be "boring" if you can't digest its kinetic, hyperactive and absurd storytelling.

As for the story's point, it makes a whole lot more sense when you interpret Haruko abstractly as Naota's sexual awareness.

And yeah, Haruko is AWESOME. :thumbsup:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:13 pm

I found it reasonably entertaining.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm of the opinion that FLCL is a brilliant deconstruction and reconstruction of the anime genre. It's a pretty good example of Gainax's talent for producing great stories in six episodes or less.

FLCL is only six episodes. Considering its length, people should do themselves a favor and just watch it to experience it.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:38 pm

FLCL definitely isn't "slow". I guess you mean the plot is so unclear, its not really obvious where its headed. Maybe the fact the plot has barely anything to do with the message/meaning/"real" plot, makes it so erratic and random.

Almost every dialog in FLCL is very ambiguous because it needs to be put in the context of the main theme of the show, which is a coming of age story.

After finishing the series and getting the plot out of the way, you can watch the show again and just pick up the finer things.

Personally, like NGE, after finishing FLCL I had to rewatch it again to try and make some sense.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway just watch the last episode. It has a really cool climax and the ending doesn't suck.

Here, have some Haruko cosplay

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:44 pm

Yeah this is my favorite series, don't really get why you'd think it was slow as in more ways then one imo its one of the most fast paced anime out there.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:51 pm

FLCL is awesome. Nuff said.
Last edited by DevRei17 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:06 pm

Yeah. It's a fun ride through and through, but only if you don't preoccupy yourself with trying to search for a greater plot told in a coherent narrative. The randomness is just an exciting way to coat a rather basic story (young boy, coming of age, life throws weird, unpleasant things at him, he can't escape them) and a neat outlet for the animators to show off their know-how.

It's rather enojoyable, if one tries to absorb it rather then try and be absorbed by it.

On the other hand, unlike others, i found Haruko to be sufficiently "cool" for her role, but i certainly didn't feel floored by her.

View Original PostOz wrote:As for the story's point, it makes a whole lot more sense when you interpret Haruko abstractly as Naota's sexual awareness.

Is their any other way to interpret her? I mean, she makes dongs grow out of his forehead.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:16 pm

I find the wording of the topic title to be mildly annoying. But yes I quite enjoyed FLCL
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:46 pm

First half I found kind of boring, second half was really entertaining, and that is pretty much my thoughts on it.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:58 pm

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:Is their any other way to interpret her?

At face value she doesn't make much sense as a character. If you don't think of her as a metaphor, you'll be utterly confused. I didn't imply there was an "alternative interpretation" for her.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:32 pm

FLCL was probably one of the most entertaining animes I've ever seen. Also, it produced the most LOLZ from me. Also, it has one of the best dubs made. Another also, but it also has a kickass soundtrack.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:57 pm

Is their any other way to interpret her? I mean, she makes dongs grow out of his forehead.

Actually Haruko is also symbolically the embodiment of both youth and independence. This is made clear if you pay special attention to her dialogue in episode 4, also in the novels you find out what her political views are which further solidifys this interpretation of her character. Awhile ago Jfaulkner was bashing the series based on Haruko being a childish character, but the thing is Haruko is supposed to be childish. To be anything else would betray her symbolic role in the series. I think the only female anime character I might like More then Haruko is Chiri Kitsu from sayonara zetsubou sensei.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:40 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I'm of the opinion that FLCL is a brilliant deconstruction and reconstruction of the anime genre. It's a pretty good example of Gainax's talent for producing great stories in six episodes or less.

FLCL is only six episodes. Considering its length, people should do themselves a favor and just watch it to experience it.

This ^

I love FLCL, and it was among the very first shows I watched when getting into the Anime genre. Back then, I watched it merely for the entertainment, but having re-watched it again a few months ago, I found it to be an incredibly deep story with real characters, despite being portrayed in such a haphazard, random, and cartoon-ish way. FLCL certainly holds a secure position in my Top 10 Anime of all time.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:04 pm

FLCL is the one show I hated more than Clannad. I don't know what you guys see in it. I know you guys are used to seeing depth where there really isn't any, but saying FLCL is a deep show is like saying brik likes the moe moe stuff.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:14 pm

View Original PostTokpile Quohog wrote:FLCL is the one show I hated more than Clannad. I don't know what you guys see in it. I know you guys are used to seeing depth where there really isn't any, but saying FLCL is a deep show is like saying brik likes the moe moe stuff.

Nah man, you just DON' T GET IT!

Seriously though, you may see a puddle, but some of us see an ocean. Different tastes and different perceptions.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:00 pm

ITT: People who just don't get FLCL.

Also, possibly one of the greatest OVAs in collective history of animu, hands down.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”