Higher Education in Japan/ the US

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Holy Diver
Armisael
Armisael

Higher Education in Japan/ the US

•      
  •      

Postby Holy Diver » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:09 pm

(Split from the "Only in Japan" thread)

View Original PostThe Imperialist wrote:Oh boy. Whole lot of people that needs to be purged/forcibly expelled for the upkeep of the honour/image of Japan. (And maybe a bit of nice tweakings in the education system.... I sigh)

Your education system? Come to America for a few months for a high-quality education.
Deus Io Vult! (God wills it!)
"Get your ass in gear!" Asuka

"Catdog has an S2 engine in his stomach. He does not need to eat, and whatever he does eat is reacted with antimatter to provide endless energy." Ruthlessly stolen from anon.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:45 pm

I hate to admit it, but the US education system (especially university-level) is much better.
I feel old

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:11 pm

The Imperialist wrote:I hate to admit it, but the US education system (especially university-level) is much better.

lolwut?

America pumps out uncultured, untrained bourgeois fools every June out of its secondary "education" system and then sends them off to university to be raped by difficult classes and professors with intellect every fall. The system is completely and utterly broken. There is a very notable problem of impoverished urban students who show great potential being shot down at public schools which teach next to nothing.

I've heard quite a bit about the competitiveness of Japanese schooling, and I am under the impression that one actually learns something during school hours, which is next to impossible in American schools unless they are wealthy and private.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby The Imperialist » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:26 pm

In Japan, they cram you with information that is only really useful in making 'elite' pen pushers.
In America (well, university wise) they actually push you, while in Japan, it is kind of "Even if you don't turn up to any classes, you will get out of university." The only courses with any substance is the scientifc ones.
I feel old

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:37 pm

Well, America's fine for university (Though I've heard excellent things about schools in Denmark, Belgium and France) but the secondary system prepares one in no way for the rigors of college. Me doing well in college will probably be more determined on my own independent studies over what my high school has provided me with. And I go to a pretty elite school on an uber-scholarship, so for what it's worth, that's just my perspective.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

planet news
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby planet news » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:41 pm

America's bigger universidads are falling under the corporate shadow by giving way too much of their money to outsourced research.

I read this "somewhere". c u next year.
"Crab People, look like crab, talk like people. Crab people . . ."

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:09 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:Well, America's fine for university (Though I've heard excellent things about schools in Denmark, Belgium and France) but the secondary system prepares one in no way for the rigors of college. Me doing well in college will probably be more determined on my own independent studies over what my high school has provided me with. And I go to a pretty elite school on an uber-scholarship, so for what it's worth, that's just my perspective.

The U.S. university system is generally considered to be one of the best in the world. Droves of foreigners come here to get a post-secondary education, and then return to their home countries.

Facing facts, college/university isn't all that difficult and isn't all that rigorous. It really comes down to motivation. If you are motivated to go to class and study on your own, then you do well in college. If not, then you fail. Motivation is something they can't teach in school.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:32 pm

My gripe with the public school system (and I'm sure that this applies to private schools too, but what do I know?) is that they only teach students how to do well on standardized tests. Schools only teach you how to do better in school, train your mind to adapt to only one train of thought, in one environment, and that's how to do better where you are or where you're going, which for most is College. You see, that creates hordes of semi-lobotomized drones who can't think for themselves, and are only capable of succeeding in a classroom setting, not in the real world. Doing well in school only ensures that you how to find answers in textbooks, not how to solve problems of your own vocation. It's a vicious cycle where the intelligent (or maybe just hardworking, but only in relation to school-work)become desperate, timid, conformist suck-ups and all the others who can't function in that setting become apathetic, lazy, conformist morons who can only learn from their peers. This country cannot survive unless it somehow manages to overcome its raging standardized test fetish.

College is better, though, at least the one I was at. It's all practical technique and thought and blah, blah, blah.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:39 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:Well, America's fine for university (Though I've heard excellent things about schools in Denmark, Belgium and France) but the secondary system prepares one in no way for the rigors of college. Me doing well in college will probably be more determined on my own independent studies over what my high school has provided me with. And I go to a pretty elite school on an uber-scholarship, so for what it's worth, that's just my perspective.
American education at the elementary and secondary puts (IMO) too great an emphasis on social conditioning and "self-esteem" as opposed to the three R's or general knowledge
View Original Postplanet news wrote:America's bigger universidads are falling under the corporate shadow by giving way too much of their money to outsourced research.
this is a problem, but right now that's where all the money is :raincloud:
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:44 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:The U.S. university system is generally considered to be one of the best in the world. Droves of foreigners come here to get a post-secondary education, and then return to their home countries.

Look at virtually any listing of the best universities in the world. You'll usually find English, UC, and Ivy League universities filling the first twenty or so spots.

Facing facts, college/university isn't all that difficult and isn't all that rigorous. It really comes down to motivation. If you are motivated to go to class and study on your own, then you do well in college. If not, then you fail. Motivation is something they can't teach in school.

It's true that one's high school experience has little bearing on their excellence in higher education. I know more than one person who has gone to a continuation high school and is now a top grade student at a high end university. The whole curriculum has been shaped over the centuries to be most palatable to the highest percentage of people; otherwise most who enter would give up due to the confusion. What we have today is people who give up because they are unmotivated, blase, or pessimistic.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:55 pm

View Original PostThe Imperialist wrote:I hate to admit it, but the US education system (especially university-level) is much better.

LOL

...americans are so unself-aware.
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:14 pm

After looking through the wikipedia page on Japanese Secondary Education, it seems like their cirriculums are much more competitive and more difficult that American ones. But whether or not they are actually learning anything from it is another story entirely.

Motivation is something they can't teach in school.

Err, it can be rewarded, though. It just isn't rewarded appropriately.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:43 pm

Actually based off what I've read of the Japanese school system on the gaijinsmash website, I've got to say that as awful as our schoolsystem is imp may actually be right!

YOU ARE SHOCK! :gendo_kimura:

I would find a link, but I'm too lazy right now since I'm tired from work, if your really curious do a google search for gaijinsmash, I think the site moved to a new domain though.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:03 pm

American universities rock. Believe me. I go to a highly ranked public university (University of Wisconsin-Madison), and it's rocking my laziness in the face as we speak.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:05 pm

If the American education system is great, how come it makes me want to kill myself sometimes? 90% of the people involved with the American education system only care about test scores. That it. They don't give a shit about teaching kids, they just want to flaunt on how "superior" the American race is to other countries. I'm seriously tired of this bullshit.

edit: And my opinion may be wrong, but my God, it sometimes just feels good to talk shit about the American education system.

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:11 pm

View Original Postran1 wrote:After looking through the wikipedia page on Japanese Secondary Education, it seems like their cirriculums are much more competitive and more difficult that American ones. But whether or not they are actually learning anything from it is another story entirely.

Err, it can be rewarded, though. It just isn't rewarded appropriately.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Yeah, the idea of Japan having an excellant school system is pure fantasy. You do know that their is basically no way to punish/fail/do anything to a student there? While some do emerge from their schooling years as the stereotypical 'Genius Asian', most are insanely apathetic and unprepared for the real world. Way more than American highschool graduates.

EDIT: As for why it feels good to talk shit about the American school system, its quite simple. Just because its one of the best humanity has to offer DOES NOT MAKE it good. It still sucks balls. Its just as bad as many other countries.
Last edited by Themaninblack on Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I won.

skikes
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby skikes » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:13 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:the American education system only care about test scores. That it. They don't give a shit about teaching kids, they just want to flaunt on how "superior" the American race is to other countries.

Yes but your test scores suck... well not suck, but average.

And on the global playing field, the "We're No. 1" honors go to Finland, Japan and Korea - places where the football spurring deep passions is round, not oblong. Finland, Japan and Korea were the top finishers in an OECD (www.oecd.org) study that measured 265,000 15-year-olds' literacy in reading, mathematics and science (see charts accompanying this feature).

U.S. fans fed up with the BCS may find little comfort in the OECD rankings. The apropos U.S. refrain would run something like, "We're No. . . . Ah, 'Bout Average, Dude, . . . Whatever." U.S. students finished 15th in reading, 19th in math and 14th in science - and in a study that only ranked 31 nations...

"Unfortunately, we are average across the board compared to other industrialized nations," said U.S. Secretary of Education Rod Paige.
"

sauce: [url]http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=afc_1268675792[/url]
What if I don't want to live in the real world?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:51 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:90% of the people involved with the American education system only care about test scores.

That would be a direct result of 'no child left behind' and the standards movement.

Themaninblack wrote:You do know that their is basically no way to punish/fail/do anything to a student there?

Funny, that sounds almost exactly like my teaching experiences.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Themaninblack
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Themaninblack » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:29 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:
Funny, that sounds almost exactly like my teaching experiences.

You can't even give them dentition in Japan. They could sing in class, verbally berate students openly and aloud, ect.

So its WAY worse over there. Once again, not saying the American school system is good, just the lesser of two evils.
I won.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:41 am

View Original PostThemaninblack wrote:You can't even give them dentition in Japan.

What makes you think I could? The school didn't have a detention program... or any other program, really. Oh I'd send kids to the principal all right but he didn't do anything but send them back a few minutes later unless it was something that could get the school sued. I tried lunch detentions on my own, got in trouble with the school board. I tried to assign extra homework, principal says I can't make it count as a grade so kids ignore it. Punish the whole class? nope, must treat all sections of the same class equally. Call the parents? All I got from that was either a sob story or blunt denial.

Oh no, it's never the student's fault; I had a parent tell me once that it was unfair to give her son's paper a 0% because I didn't specifically say on the rubric that word-for-word plagiarism from a wiki article wasn't allowed. :facepalm:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”