Digi's recap at Otakon... (and Gendo's hand)

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Digi's recap at Otakon... (and Gendo's hand)

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:36 pm

Otakon. It has become a word that I will associate with fond memories from now on.

I'm not a stranger to anime conventions but Otakon has quickly become my favorite con. I made new friends while attending panels and lunch GTGs. I finally got a chance to put a face to the name of forum members as well as share in fun conversations. I was able to kick back and enjoy watching AMVs on the big screen. I was also able to empty my wallet as I bought a bunch of impractical merchandise in the dealer room.

There's something to be said about 25,000 people attending an anime convention. It's something I considered an underground hobby for many years. I really liked the fact that I could let the anime geek in me let loose for a weekend. It's good to know there are others like me.

The crowd...from 9am to midnight.

Video 1. This is one of the video rooms where anime screenings and AMV overflows were played. These "smaller" rooms are larger than main showings at other Cons.

The ballroom. The grand daddy. This is where I got a chance to enjoy AMV screenings, especially the Eva AMV Nightmare which won the Drama/Serious AMV category. It was a great setup. The pic does not do the room justice. It was HUGE.

I used to despise cosplaying. mainly because I've seen some terrible work in the past. The last few cons I've been to have changed my attitude towards them. I've seen some excellent designs (paired with the correct persons body type and gender) at Otakon. Just because I know EvaMonkey LOVES Naruto...

The Eva lunch on Friday. It was nice to meet up with Dan, Ron, Drew, Rachel, and Aaron (and entourage) for this little GTG. Ron really had the goods at this one...

The mousepad. It was made of nice material but was a sorry excuse for one otherwise.

I couldn't help myself. I always get caught up on buying impractical things when attending cons. My normal senses leave me when I enter through the doors. Reichu, these are for you. I know how you LOVE seeing Asuka and Rei out of character.

Reichu, didn't you model a few Evas after these Xmas edition figures?

Seeing how I am both an Evafreak and Narutard, I couldn't pass these up...

The 10th Anniversary Eva panel. Although things did not turn out as expected all was not lost. It was great to meet quite a few forum members during the Friday lunch and before the panel.

I was greeted promptly by Gendo... (and NO...I DID NOT CrossPlay as Ritsuko to merit this kind of response). This particular Gendo had a small radio that played the fantastic "It's Gendo" theme from Redeath along with other series tracks.

The panel itself...

From L to R: The charismatic but tardy-Otaprince, the gifted Eva librarian-Reichu, and the illustrious, strongly opinionated, giver of seal of approvals-EvaMonkey.

Yeah, you can say it was packed...

My favorite part. I liked the Cosplayers. The 1% Eva cosplay fanboy in me was overjoyed.

The alternate EoE ending...

That's pretty much my experience at Otakon in a nutshell. I look forward to meeting up with old and new forum members again next year.
Alex D.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:19 pm

How much was the Eva-01 Figure? Is the the one with the Sachiel stand?

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:24 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:How much was the Eva-01 Figure? Is the the one with the Sachiel stand?

I think I got for $15 or $20. This one doesn't have the Sachiel stand from what I recall.

I also picked up a "damaged" Unit 01 with a torn apart Sachiel (stand?) for $15 (no pic).
Alex D.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:29 pm

Damn good prices, from what I have seen.
And was the gun carried by the Gendo cosplayer a real airsoft?

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:33 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:Damn good prices, from what I have seen.
And was the gun carried by the Gendo cosplayer a real airsoft?

Hmmm, I never got a chance to check out his gun. I thought it was but can't confirm.
Alex D.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:47 pm

I am so fucking going next year. I'm writing that in blood on my ass as we speak.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Tue Aug 23, 2005 5:52 pm

Ahhh, Otakon is so much bigger than AnimeNext. Sooo much bigger.

I wanna go next year, but I'm already going to AnimeNext. Again. For the third time. But I'm cosplaying as Asuka.

Maybe, if I'm not completely broke from AnimeNext, I'll be able to afford Otakon, too.
i AM the internets.

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:03 pm

sachiel wrote:Ahhh, Otakon is so much bigger than AnimeNext. Sooo much bigger.

I wanna go next year, but I'm already going to AnimeNext. Again. For the third time. But I'm cosplaying as Asuka.

Maybe, if I'm not completely broke from AnimeNext, I'll be able to afford Otakon, too.

Ahh, so you were at AnimeNext too? It was relatively small but still enjoyable nonetheless.

This is my line-up for next year... AnimeBoston, AnimeNext, Otakon, and then AWA. North to South on the East coast.
Alex D.

sachiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby sachiel » Tue Aug 23, 2005 6:11 pm

Digitalex wrote:
sachiel wrote:Ahhh, Otakon is so much bigger than AnimeNext. Sooo much bigger.

Ahh, so you were at AnimeNext too? It was relatively small but still enjoyable nonetheless.

This is my line-up for next year... AnimeBoston, AnimeNext, Otakon, and then AWA. North to South on the East coast.

Haha.

My lineup: AnimeNext, and if I get lucky, Otakon

Because teenagers with minimum wage jobs can't afford hotels (that is...if I can find a job next summer). XD

Well, that's not entirely true. My sister works at a Holiday Inn/Morgan's Restaurant so she can get my friends and I rooms for $25 a night. But I usually end up spending all my money (this year, over $230) in the dealer's room.

Yeah, I was at AnimeNext. I was a Tohma cosplayer, from Gravitation, unfortunately. XP
i AM the internets.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 23, 2005 7:18 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:I am so fucking going next year. I'm writing that in blood on my ass as we speak.

Make sure you are wearing a full-body costume that disguises your appearance, gender, and physique. Also, you must speak using a synthesizer, a la Mr. Hawking.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:39 pm

Fear of creepy fan-boys/girls?

Magami no D00M
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Magami no D00M » Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:25 am

ZOMGZ my first post here. :shock:
I change my mind and decided to continue loving Evangelion by coming here. :)
Wow, some nice stuff there, nice pics(Loved the Gendo).
I must take my friend there, sometime in the future. Looks like it would be a blast(for the ever exciteable moi)
Failsig:http://myanimelist.net/profile/Maga-me~Catalogue your hobby/obsession/drug.
DA Plug: http://magamish.deviantart.com/
*back from the dead to once again rekindle my Eva ineterst, since I recently purchased the domestic Rebuild 1.0 dvd* >>;

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:17 am

That Gendo wins the 2005 Awesome Dude award for the radio thing. :idea:
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:07 am

awwwwwwwwwwwww, why in america? i wanna go :cry: spending hundreds of £s on useless crap is what i was born to do! (no shit, i'm exercising that right tomorrow, heh heh)

those cosplay pilots......i think i'll keep my comment to myself

"The divine fall silent as the freil plea aloud"

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:33 am

Well, its...cosplay...

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:42 am

that would probably cover it.

was that eva ipod purchased there or was he just showing it off?

Ryo
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Ryo » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:16 am

Kaworu fangirl spotted, commencing termination program...

Nah. Nice pictures, Digi, and welcome, Magami! :D
Asuka > Rei

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:06 am

@Space Penis: He certainly deserves that award. People kept turning around wondering where the music was coming from.

@Ryo: Thanks. LOL. Is she the first Kaworu fangirl in these parts?

@Magami: Welcome aboard! I dig the sig and avatar.

@Ice Reaper: Soluzar might make the trek next year. Hop on the plane with him and join us.
Alex D.

ice reaper
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby ice reaper » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:23 am

@Ice Reaper: Soluzar might make the trek next year. Hop on the plane with him and join us.

i wish it was that simple; i'm only 15....but by then i'll be 16 hmmmmmmm if i can scrounge together the money and find out how the hell to get there i might be in with a chance. if not, maybe the year after.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:24 am

I'm so jealous of you! You are so lucky living there.. There's no chance something similar would happen here in Greece.. :cry:

Anyway Otakon must be a great experience! Nice pics Digitalex! Is you somewhere on the pics btw?
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”