NGE2: Alternate Outcome Translations [3I, Etc.]

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

NGE2: Alternate Outcome Translations [3I, Etc.]

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:44 pm

This thread will be used for presenting translations of the alternate Third Impact / Human Instrumentality scenarios "alternate" outcomes of in-show events, as seen in the game Neon Genesis Evangelion 2.

Discussion is allowed and encouraged, but there is to be no grousing about the source. Yes, it's from a video game, and we don't know exactly how much is fully reliable. We get it. But it's interesting. Enjoy it for what it is.

First up:

Seele's Happy End

[AVI courtesy of NAveryW]

General Notes:
- I'll make the images smaller, post a transcript of the Japanese, and clean up the translation later.
- Source: NGE2, PS2 version. Have not yet compared side-by-side with the PSP version of the scene.
- Requirements: This ending occurs if an Eva pilot character is defeated during the MP Eva fight (AFAIK).
- Misc.:
-- The operators can swap lines if one died earlier in the player's game. (Maya's lines go to Hyuga if Maya died, for example.)
-- Events in the game involving Kaworu have no effect on whether this ending activates. (Kaworu could live or die, or he could never show up at Nerv HQ during a particular play-through at all.) Whether Kaworu's (non-)involvement was taken into account when the requirements for triggering the ending were programmed, I don't know. If the parameters were altered in the PSP version to take factors such as Kaworu's living or dying into account, I will report back.

MAYA:

AOBA:
A high-energy body is currently ascending from Terminal Dogma! Is this a human outline? [1]

HYUGA (OFF):
Analysis pattern blue! It can't be -- an Angel!?
No, it's not. A person -- it's human!

It was then that a thin, giant white human silhouette appeared in the Command Center. It was Lilith transformed into Rei. This silhouette, as it passed through the walls without incident, walked out towards the Geofront exterior. [2]

Lilith looked at the sky once [2.5], and slowly enveloped Eva-01 in its hands as if scooping water.

KEEL (OFF):
Kaworu Nagisa... Your existence and soul have been for this day...
Having become our guidepost, the time is right to lead our souls. [3]

KAWORU (OFF):
... The Lilin are returning to Lilith.
No -- most of them will come to nothing.
Save for some of the elite people...

MAYA (OFF):
The Eva Series have begun releasing their S2 Engines.
It's like 15 years ago.
The phenomenon taking place is the same as the initial phase of Second Impact.
An Anti A.T. Field is materializing.

Image Image

Its body raised outside the atmosphere, Lilith took on an expression of ecstacy and began extending twelve wings.

MAYA (OFF):
The Anti A.T. Field is breaching the critical point!
At this rate, the forms of individual organisms cannot be maintained!

People lose their A.T. Fields and turn into the LCL from before the birth of life. The souls of people alone flow across the Earth's surface, drifting helplessly. [4]

KEEL (OFF):
We abandon our useless bodies to become one with God.
Guiding us is the path that ends and regenerates all life.

KAWORU (OFF):
So they've been made to remember their original forms.
If they're unable to recognize Lilith, they'll vanish into nothing.4.5

Floating in Kaworu's midst are the souls of the ones called Seele, who had manipulated the world from the shadows.

KAWORU:
Lilith…

The red lights floating in Kaworu's periphery were drawn into Eva-01, within Lilith's hands.

KAWORU (OFF):
And so my work is over...
The hearts of people can only open to (other) people.

Closing his eyes, Kaworu began to fuse with Lilith. Lilith's body, twisting like rain [5], sinks to the earth. Before long she stops moving as splashes of blood rise all around, her body turned into stone...

Seele's doctrine attained completion.
Opening the Path to God, they became a god.
Neither do Adam, Lilith, nor humanity exist in this world any longer.
[6]

Footnotes

[1] "Is this a human outline?" -- Yes, I know that sounds totally dodgy. I'm sure something better can be done.
[2] The narration seems to flipflop between past and present tense. Overtly this seems strange to me, but maybe it's just strange because my Japanese verbology is pretty flimsy. I'll probably make the tense consistent later just for the sake of the translation appearing less dodgy.
[2.5] "Looked at the sky once"? Bwah?
[3] Original is 「渚カヲル…己が存在、魂はこの時のために…。道標となりて、魂を導くがいい。」 I'm not completely sure what なりる is, but I took my best guess.
[4] I'm not sure if they mean "only people's souls" or "only people's souls".
[4.5] Kaworu doesn't specify a subject here. Is it "they" (Lilin)? Is it everybody, including himself, hence "we"? I have no idea. I'm going with "they" for now since Lilin were the last thing he had been talking about.
[5] The stuff about Lilith "twisting/spiraling like rain" makes no real sense, leading me to think that language identifying the souls (seen in the accompanying image) with that clause somehow got omitted.
[6] I think they're saying that Adam, Lilith, and humanity no longer exist "in this world" in addition to Seele, but I could be mistaken.

Confused? You're not the only one, but do check out the CI again. Some of it may make a bit more sense now.
Last edited by Reichu on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:06 pm

So they win... and thus everyone, including themselves, is dead? They don't even really get anything out of it?

WTF?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

Re: NGE2: Alternate 3I/HIP Scenarios

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:17 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:KEEL:
Kaworu Nagisa... Your existence and soul have been for this day...
Having become our guidepost, the time is right to lead our souls.

It seems for SEELE, Kaworu has the same purpose Rei has for NERV. Sending Kaworu to the NERV base to die now makes more sense.

KAWORU:
... The Lilin are returning to Lilith.
No -- most of them will come to nothing.
Save for some of the elite people...

Who are these elite people? High ranked SEELE members?

Seele's doctrine attained completion.
Opening the Path to God, they became a god.
Neither do Adam, Lilith, nor humanity exist in this world any longer.

Going by the second to last picture, humans do not get instrumentalised but annihilated. Either SEELE knew full well, or they got fooled.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:18 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:So they win... and thus everyone, including themselves, is dead? They don't even really get anything out of it?

Kaworu sneezed their souls into Eva-01 and Seele become a god in there. I bet Yui loves that. As for what happens to everybody else... I shrug.

Possibly illuminating:

Details of HIP wrote:C. Confidential Information

The Human Instrumentality Project is a plan aimed at divinity. The Evas are absolutely essential to Seele, for they are the sole key that can open the Path to God. This is because they were copied from Adam, the being nearest to a god.

Still, there is something humanity lacks. Seele believed they had through Eva what was necessary to fill-in that which was missing; to make man into a God, or at least into an eternal existence.

Completing an incomplete humanity, and opening up the Path to God, is Seele's doctrine. What would happen if people were gathered into something of a god? Seele believed we would become God himself.[1]

D. In-Depth Information

While the Angels were being engaged in battle, people were also making and advancing the plan for the path that leads to divinity.

The first step is the completion of Eva — the body of a god and throne of a soul — via the installation of an S² Engine. The interfusion of souls follows. Afterward, our final natural enemy, the Spear of Longinus security device, is annihilated. Thus, that which is nearly divine, or perhaps a god in and of itself, is brought to completion, and, with the Spear gone, cannot be destroyed by anyone.

Seele's intention for this man-made god is to guide the elite (themselves) to state near that of God's.

The additional endings will probably put things in further perspective.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:42 pm

So these are all alternate endings in the game? That's cool. Do we get to see an angelic impact or gendos version of instrumentality?

Kaworu sneezed their souls into Eva-01 and Seele become a god in there. I bet Yui loves that.

Their gonna have an eternal wrinkly old man orgy with yui for all eternity, that sounds horrible...
Last edited by Defectron on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:47 pm

Who are these elite people? High ranked SEELE members?

Those that decided to escape the LCL and fusion with Lilith afterward? That's my theory anyway.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:03 pm

I really like these "what-if...?" scenarios but I am a tad confused as well. I'm interested in the other alt. endings.
View Original PostDefectron wrote:Their gonna have an eternal wrinkly old man orgy with yui for all eternity? That sounds horrible...

Well if Yui has an old man fetish she'll have an enjoyable time. She'll probably get bored after awhile though.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:01 pm

Well, that's pretty much EoE in a nutshell.

Are there any upbeat (for NGE, at least) endings?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:40 pm

I had read the HIP entry in the C.I. before, but hadn't really considered the implications of

Seele's intention for this man-made god is to guide the elite (themselves) to state near that of God's.

So in Seele's version of Instrumentality Seele gets complimented, but everyone else is as dead as the Katsuragi expedition? If this is the case it's no wonder that Yui and Gendo were against it.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:49 pm

Regarding elites...

View Original PostCI wrote:Seele's intention for this man-made god is to guide the elite (themselves) to state near that of God's.

Kaworu says that only some of the elite will be saved from nothing, so I assume that means the 12 upper echelon members of Seele. (There appear to be more than 12 streaks of light in the vague "entering Eva-01" image, though. Hurmmm.)

thewayneiac wrote:So in Seele's version of Instrumentality Seele gets complimented, but everyone else is as dead as the Katsuragi expedition? If this is the case it's no wonder that Yui and Gendo were against it.

It certainly reads like it's at the expense of everybody else. But then what is “the path that ends and resurrects all life” (literally, “the path of the end and rebirth of all life”, but you can see how unwieldy that is) all about?

Defectron wrote:Do we get to see an angelic impact or gendos version of instrumentality?

Here are some of the ones you guys can look forward to. You'll get the full details with the translations.

- "Thank you" (Arigatou) Ending: Plays when you defeat the Eva Series in NGE2 (PS2). Rei visits the various cast members and asks them to 'come home' through a weird EoTV-like sequence. Lilin and Angel souls are infused into the S2 engine (WTF?) instead of the Black Moon/Chamber of Guf. Seele and a bunch of other souls are dumped into Eva-01, who is standing around with long hair and the Spear and the end.

- "Good Night" (Oyasumi Nasai) Ending: An Angel reaches Lilith in Terminal Dogma, reduces into a Lilin-sized glowing thing, and is about to merge when Rei appears out of nowhere. Rei and the Angel enter together, GNR happens, and Rei makes both races 'go to sleep'.

(There doesn't seem to be a normal Angel impact ending, for some dumb reason. Really disappointing.)

- Gendo Ending: Lilith leads people's souls into Eva-01. Gendo encounters Yui and Shinji -- appearing as they did in the #21 Ashinoko flashback -- sitting together on a metaphysical beach. Gendo thanks her for stuff.

- EoE Ending: PSP only. The 3I that happens in the movie. I'm not sure if any differences are introduces. The only version that's available to my knowledge is a Blur-O-Vision recording, but we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

- "Congratulations" (Omedetou) Endings: PS2 only (I think). All the characters have these "Labyrinth of the Heart" sequences where they monologue on a folding chair. If you activate enough of these, you'll eventually stand up in self-actualization and everyone will congratulate you. (So far, I have Shinji, Asuka, and Rei available to translate.)

- Asuka Ending: PSP only (I think). Instrumentality starts the same as the "Thank You" ending, but it suddenly cuts to a flashback of little Asuka crying after her mother's death. Then, Asuka goes through EoTV-style Instrumentality ala Shinji (Asuka imagines being married to Kaji but dissatisfied with her life, as well as a "retake" scene from earlier in the game; Asuka and Hikari having a classroom conversation that ties back to Asuka realizing she can be happy without Eva), and is congratulated by the cast under a blue sky (even Kaworu!!). Asuka then thanks/congratulates herself as well as "you" (the player?), and says that she'll do what she can to become happy.

- Toji Ending: PSP only. Toji goes through Instrumentality, Lilith/Rei asking him what he wishes for. Toji ends up in an Alternate Universe (similar to Episode 26, but not exactly the same one) where his little sister is healthy, and both his parents are alive and well. Presumably Toji and the rest stay in the alternate universe instead of returning to reality.

There are various scenes littered throughout the game (Seele meetings and Gendo/Fuyu interchanges, for example) that would probably add valuable context to the NGE2-exclusive scenarios, as well.

"Thank You" will be coming up next, since SSD already started it, and it's the complement (HURR HURR) of the lousy Seele ending besides.
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:46 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:It certainly reads like it's at the expense of everybody else. But then what is “the path that ends and resurrects all life” (literally, “the path of the end and rebirth of all life”, but you can see how unwieldy that is) all about?

Well, I'd assume they'd get pretty bored sitting around in Unit 01 doing fucking nothing for all eternity. Now that you and all your buddies are God, might as well (re)create life and mess around with it. Hell, even in the real ending, you could interpret some of Yui's remarks and actions to mean that she plans on doing this (not on Earth, but still).
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:53 am

Please do keep these going Reichu! <3 Images if possible!
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:23 am

SEELE intends, or so I think, to elevate itself to what they perceive is a superior state of existence at the expense of the rest of humanity, who will be annihilated, using Kaworu as a manipulator of the process. His death in front of Lilith was planned.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:10 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:- "Good Night" (Oyasumi Nasai) Ending: An Angel reaches Lilith in Terminal Dogma, reduces into a Lilin-sized glowing thing, and is about to merge when Rei appears out of nowhere. Rei and the Angel enter together, GNR happens, and Rei makes both races 'go to sleep'.

(There doesn't seem to be a normal Angel impact ending, for some dumb reason. Really disappointing.)
For all we know that may have been the case in NGE if an Angel had ever been on the verge of contacting Lilith. Rei was certainly right there when Kaworu stood before Lilith; from what I understand it's commonly thought that she was "awakened" at that point to her true nature after musing about what Kaworu had said to her, and after remembering who/what she was, she regained Angelic abilities such as levitation. But what if the awakening is the result of a near-impact? Remember, it doesn't have to have happened yet, considering Rei seems to transcend space and time. For all we know, Rei may have been right there poledancing off Ramiel's drill if it ever managed to break into Terminal Dogma.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:13 am

Wow... some of these what-if scenarios are disappointing.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:04 am

Personally I'm enjoying these...

Please ma'am, may we have some more?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:08 pm

She's working on them, be patient.

As for SEELE's Happy End, the way I see it is that all souls merge together, but only SEELE's personality need necessarily be retained. That is, although the actual souls are unified, the information contained within them may be lost due to the complementation, and Kaworu's purpose was to preserve their personalities?
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Otakon 08 Ikari
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Otakon 08 Ikari » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:17 pm

Rei may have been right there poledancing off Ramiel's drill if it ever managed to break into Terminal Dogma. Sounds like a Good end to me.

I'm looking out the window right now and man I have to say its a beautiful day so I got to wondering, what would be the best end for humanity? Nothing making contact with Lilith nor any form of Third Impact. Second Impact has already happen but there are ways to prevent the third from happening and keep everyone alive.
Dr. Trans Old Fashioned Peppermint Dickables

http://pshbling.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go there for Eva cosplay.

Agent_Koopa
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Agent_Koopa » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:58 pm

Well, if this IS what SEELE was planning all along, it's rather disappointing. If SEELE plans to elevate themselves to godhood and kill the entire rest of the human population, all semblance of the sympathetic antagonist vanishes. You can sort of see how they might want to return humanity to a perfect state in Complementation, but to ditch the entire global population and go on a joyride in EVA-01 is a different matter.

I can't really see SEELE wanting to preserve their personalities, given how much they wax on about "returning to the Garden of Eden" during the series. One would think that something they believe in that fanatically they would also seek to go through themselves. Perhaps they're just hypocritical. Another strange thing: why is it that Adam and Lilith both must die in the SEELE ending? That's not the vibe I got from the series at all: wasn't community consensus more like all humans would be gathered into the Black Moon and Lilith would then be the embodiment of the resultant gestalt-god? It seems to me like this scenario was just dreamed up as a way to keep Kaworu in the plot somehow. Obviously, with his death in the anime, this turn of events is impossible.
Posts look unprofessional without signatures!

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:25 pm

It happens regardless of Kaworu's death though. Since we know Adam's soul plays a result in Third Impact anyway, I don't see a problem.

SEELE being hypocritical wouldn't be anything really new or unexpected. There seems to be a trend of portraying SEELE as not able to live up to their own ideals.

Could the death and destruction of the rest of humanity have been a result of humanity's refusal to accept Lilith? That is, it's not so much an act of SEELE's will, but SEELE simply not caring about a natural consequence?

What I mean is that regardless of SEELE's happy end here, or the ending we would've gotten if Shinji accepted Instrumentality, the souls that do not want to be Complemented are eradicated, instead of merged into one against their will.

With this idea, the idea that SEELE are the only ones who accepted Complementation is quite telling.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”