Final Fantasy series

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Re: Final Fantasy series

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:31 am

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I never listen to those and you shouldn't either. There was numerous "leaks" before XV was released, all with slight variations of themselves made by numerous people claiming to have worked under Square Enix. Threads like those are hardly rare on /v/, let alone 4chan as a whole.

Well in this case its different. After said person had posted Square themselves told him to take it down. Also there were leaks back from June that was about the plot of the game which ended up all being true(except for what they cut between June and November).

It's your choice not to listen, but in those two cases they aren't making shit up. And if in December's leak case if it is all fake this person should get credit for creativity cause christ he wrote a FanFi(if that ends up being the case).
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:09 pm

I agree, after enough time of being on the internet, you develop the ability to filter what is bs and what is real. In this case, I am positive that 90% is accurate.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:59 pm

Here are the current work-in-progress DLC and updates for FFXV:

-3 DLC stories
-1 Mystery DLC expansion
-Ch 13 fix
-More story cutscenes
-More balancing and glitch patching
-Playable support only characters
-Monster Book
-Limited time events like the Moogle Festival going on now

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:01 am

I'm skipping the Moogle festival, if it's not adding significant detail to the universe and lore it doesn't really interest me.

Going to another FF topic that hasn't been discussed in a while: Stormblood preordering is up! Is anyone hyped to go to Ala Mihigo?
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:34 am

I ordered my CE for Stormblood yesterday after work.

With my now main character (Used to be a side character, but I spend way more time playing him than my main these days) being primarily a Monk and for my head canon his back story is he is Ala Mhigan (But was little when the whole mess with the King of Ruin and the empire went on) so I am very hyped for the expansion.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:52 am

I ordered the phsyical CE too since I'm a sucker for art books and I already have the physical CE for heavensward. I'm currently leveling Monk in PoTD but I got kicked once for having the 3.5 MSQ title. I talked to a GM and he said I was in the right as that's basically punishing people who are further in the game than they are and he told me he'd investigate the players that wrongly kicked me. After that I just went ahead and switched titles so I don't get the same thing happening again....

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:51 pm

I'm the same way. I have all the soundtracks and artbooks so far from the game as well as the HW physical CE.

That is pretty crappy you got kicked over that. I believe they changed the title in today's patch so it would be less of spoiler... however, I cannot confirm as I cannot stay in game for more than 90 seconds without suffering a disconnect today, but I have seen it mentioned a lot.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:28 am

Correct, the title has been switched to "The Finest Pupil's Ally".

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:39 pm

Excellent. Hopefully that will stop people from doing what happened to you from now on.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:13 pm

I guess a bunch of news got dropped at the 30th anniversary, including some things about a FFXV dlc, some FFVII remake artwork, but most importantly...

FFXII remaster has a release date of July 11th! :w00t:
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:52 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:FFXII remaster has a release date of July 11th! :w00t:

CAN WE PREORDER YET?!

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:15 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:but most importantly...

FFXII remaster has a release date of July 11th! :w00t:

Nope, most importantly is the fact we're getting FF themed cup-noodles and wine :facepalm:

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:46 am

Remake artwork

Also here is a bit of an actual update by Kitase.

“We’re currently brushing up the scene from the announcement trailer,” Kitase says. “We can now see the line of quality that we’re aiming for more clearly, but there’s still a ways to go.” The team’s goal is to carry this effort through the project’s multiple episode releases.

So how will they fill the gap while waiting for each episode? Kitase says they don’t have any plans to do another Final Fantasy VII Compilation-type project for now. Because they can’t release each volume in just a few months of each other, however, he says they’d like to think of a way to supplement the gaps to hold interest.

As for downloadable content, Kitase notes he’d like to use Final Fantasy XV as a reference. “A live stream or a program to keep in touch with the users is something I’d like to do, but Final Fantasy VII Remake will be episodic, and if we want to have it go all the way to the end of the original version, then I believe we’ll need to devote everything we got for it, so I have no idea what will happen for things such as filler development [between episodes] and other works.”

Currently the base of the battle system has been solidified. Kitase confirms both Tetsuya Nomura and Mitsunori Takahashi, who worked on the Kingdom Hearts series andDissidia Final Fantasy series, are putting their best into it. Although he can’t say much at the moment, he also stresses they won’t be removing any parts of the original FFVII that were well received, such as the Materia system.

In closing, Kitase hopes to show progress made on Final Fantasy VII Remake sometime this year. He thinks it would be nice if they could have it playable or a trailer for it at an event. Famitsu also asked him about a possible Final Fantasy VI Remake, to which he replied: “Right now, we’re working on Final Fantasy VII… The staff within the company are also saying [they’d like to remake it] but it’s on reserve.”

http://www.novacrystallis.com/2017/02/y ... -progress/

Personally I was hoping for a trailer at this event. However it is pretty cool to see the Shinra Building and Sephiroth in their Remake forms. Guess episode 1 isn't coming in 2017 either.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:04 am

At this point I am not joking when I say that the FF VII Remake will be a launch title for the PS5.
Also, cheap artwork. Other than the new Cloud, the background and villain pose feel like they're almost recycled.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:02 am

I'm a bit confused as to why they feel the need to overhaul FF7's battle system; the original system was absolutely fine. Really the only non-cosmetic elements that need significant changes are the clunky movement controls and a shift to X for select instead of O. Unless it's a case of "It'll play just like the old game but it needs programming from the ground up for the new engine" of course.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:40 pm

View Original PostStan wrote:At this point I am not joking when I say that the FF VII Remake will be a launch title for the PS5.
Also, cheap artwork. Other than the new Cloud, the background and villain pose feel like they're almost recycled.

I'm starting to agree with the PS5 prediction. If not part 1, than one of the other parts will be on the PS5 for sure.

Also if you really look at the artwork, it keeps the announcement trailer city, but they are making Midgar look more like the original. The base of the Shinra building isn't as big, and the lights are like the ones in the announcement trailer. I wouldn't say its recycled, unless recreating a location is recycling it.

When I look at the top plate city, I almost feel like its Insomina. They are def going for that modern city look compared to the city Midgar was in 1997.
______
As for the battle system, well anything from the original game wouldn't be compatible with a new PS4 game. Regardless they are creating the remake's engine and systems from scratch, and I feel like they wanted a more realistic approach to combat than the original system. If FFXV is anything to go by, they will continue to use real time combat for future games.

If they had the technology of now back in 1997 I'd bet it would've been real time.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:20 am

I beat FFXV. Here are my reactions, as someone who never played the demos and never saw Kingsglaive or Brotherhood.

Full-game spoilers  SPOILER: Show
That was fun, but to say that the story was "rushed" is being... generous.

My high time with the game was before I realized how limited it actually was. I was still in Lucis, putting off the boat ride to Altissia because I figured it would be the next major step in the plot. (I had no idea how right I was about that.) Expecting the game to open up even more soon, I wanted to tackle everything available to me before the (surely, surely!) next huge influx of new Things To Do.

Turns out, what I thought was just the tip of the iceberg was actually most of the iceberg. That fresh influx never came; Altissia proved to be quite small and not very fun anyway, and the large shaded regions of both maps stayed that way forever. Everything else that happened were one-shot locations that were over in a blink. What I'd already done turned out to have been most of the game, and once I realized that, the game suddenly felt really small -- which is an odd thing to say about a game I sank nearly 90 hours into before beating it, but let's be clear: the raw amount of time that it takes to beat a game is not the same as its scale.

The story fell apart for me after that too. Lunafreya dies before the player even meets her (unless you call that "meeting"), tons of stuff that would've been the focus of major scenes in older FFs happens entirely off-screen, a timeskip occurs out of nowhere and for no good purpose, and a time "travel" mechanic is introduced that throws the player's experiential narrative of the game into utter confusion because it's not clear what (if any) of it's actually happening in the story. I get that it's to ensure that players never get cut off from content by the requirements of the story, but I wasn't convinced that it was worth the cost to the immersion factor; I think I would rather they had gone with a different story friendlier to the nature of the gameplay.

The 10-year timeskip bears special note as a facet of the story I really didn't like. It was so unreal, jarring, and narratively out-of-place that I literally thought it was just a dream happening to Noctis inside the Crystal during what Bahamut called the "Reflection". I was expecting, or more accurately hoping, that Bahamut was not telling the entire truth when he said that the Chosen King must sacrifice his life to end the permanent night and that what Noctis was experiencing was actually a test of his character and that after sacrificing himself it would turn out to have been just a test of his resolve or something like that. It became clear to me that it was "for real" only after the game warned that the final battle was just ahead.

On the bright side, the game chose to end on a positive note by depicting Noctis and Luna being together and apparently happy as whatever spirit entities they were in that final sequence. That, and the voiceover from Regis, clearly from beyond the grave because he's commenting on an event that happened after his death, seem to imply that death is not all that final in the setting. Between these and the way the game plays fast and loose with its canon through the time "travel" mechanic, there's plenty of room for bizarre headcanons.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:54 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:I beat FFXV. Here are my reactions, as someone who never played the demos and never saw Kingsglaive or Brotherhood.

Full-game spoilers  SPOILER: Show
That was fun, but to say that the story was "rushed" is being... generous.

My high time with the game was before I realized how limited it actually was. I was still in Lucis, putting off the boat ride to Altissia because I figured it would be the next major step in the plot. (I had no idea how right I was about that.) Expecting the game to open up even more soon, I wanted to tackle everything available to me before the (surely, surely!) next huge influx of new Things To Do.

Turns out, what I thought was just the tip of the iceberg was actually most of the iceberg. That fresh influx never came; Altissia proved to be quite small and not very fun anyway, and the large shaded regions of both maps stayed that way forever. Everything else that happened were one-shot locations that were over in a blink. What I'd already done turned out to have been most of the game, and once I realized that, the game suddenly felt really small -- which is an odd thing to say about a game I sank nearly 90 hours into before beating it, but let's be clear: the raw amount of time that it takes to beat a game is not the same as its scale.

The story fell apart for me after that too. Lunafreya dies before the player even meets her (unless you call that "meeting"), tons of stuff that would've been the focus of major scenes in older FFs happens entirely off-screen, a timeskip occurs out of nowhere and for no good purpose, and a time "travel" mechanic is introduced that throws the player's experiential narrative of the game into utter confusion because it's not clear what (if any) of it's actually happening in the story. I get that it's to ensure that players never get cut off from content by the requirements of the story, but I wasn't convinced that it was worth the cost to the immersion factor; I think I would rather they had gone with a different story friendlier to the nature of the gameplay.

The 10-year timeskip bears special note as a facet of the story I really didn't like. It was so unreal, jarring, and narratively out-of-place that I literally thought it was just a dream happening to Noctis inside the Crystal during what Bahamut called the "Reflection". I was expecting, or more accurately hoping, that Bahamut was not telling the entire truth when he said that the Chosen King must sacrifice his life to end the permanent night and that what Noctis was experiencing was actually a test of his character and that after sacrificing himself it would turn out to have been just a test of his resolve or something like that. It became clear to me that it was "for real" only after the game warned that the final battle was just ahead.

On the bright side, the game chose to end on a positive note by depicting Noctis and Luna being together and apparently happy as whatever spirit entities they were in that final sequence. That, and the voiceover from Regis, clearly from beyond the grave because he's commenting on an event that happened after his death, seem to imply that death is not all that final in the setting. Between these and the way the game plays fast and loose with its canon through the time "travel" mechanic, there's plenty of room for bizarre headcanons.

The sad part is that the open world was in fact meant to be larger, those shaded out areas were meant to be explorable, but they ran out of time. There are videos online of people glitching the game to go beyond the boundaries and explore the un-explorable areas, which are all about 30% finished - so there is evidence they were being worked on but were later dropped.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:15 am

View Original PostStan wrote:The sad part is that the open world was in fact meant to be larger, those shaded out areas were meant to be explorable, but they ran out of time. There are videos online of people glitching the game to go beyond the boundaries and explore the un-explorable areas, which are all about 30% finished - so there is evidence they were being worked on but were later dropped.

Yes, this is especially true in the Nifelheim areas, where the game is the most linear. It's almost impossible to get an image of the entire REAL XV world map instead of the one that's been passed around BEFORE XV came out.

On an unrelated note: I'm finally get a PS4 Pro (So I'll be able to play XII-HD when it comes out) and I'm getting XV again for it but also World of Final Fantasy. Has anyone here played WoFF and can tell me what to expect in general throughout the game?

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:57 pm

Here are the two new images from MAGIC 2017. Nomura wanted to show off a new game play video, but wasn't allowed to by Square... The wait continues.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”