Enter The Void - Newest film by Gaspar Noé

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Enter The Void - Newest film by Gaspar Noé

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Mar 07, 2010 5:24 am

Opening credits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPxgi-PiNFE

First teaser:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyHQWTs7UEY

"A drug-dealing teen is killed in Japan, after which he reappears as a ghost to watch over his sister."

I can't wait for this film. It's painful not to be able to watch it right now.

ran1
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby ran1 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:43 pm

This looks pretty good.
Punished "Venom" Ran1
Vanity of Vanities
Every post in Evageeks automaticaly becomes masturbatory material. It's nothing new. ~Justcrazyguy
Ran's persistent irony is a coping mechanism he uses to try and create some understanding of his paradoxical attraction to and disgust of the elitist bourgeois slaughterhouse in which he's forever trapped. --Muggy

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:10 am

If the rest of the film is like the opening credits, this film may be one that pushes the boundaries of what is perceived as film.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:30 am

I'm glad I don't have epilepsy, because those opening credits would have given me a seizure.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:58 pm

I'm glad I'm not a man, because those opening credits would have given me a boner.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:04 pm

Noe's Irreversible was quite disturbing. I'm interested to see what he does with this.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:05 pm

I've heard only great things about this film. It's apparently all filmed from the POV of the lead protagonist (so you're always looking out his eyes). Only catch is:

SPOILER: Show
he dies at the end of the first act.

Should be powerful stuff. His IRREVERSIBLE was one of the most gut wrenching and effective films of the past decade.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:15 am

http://www.buf.com/visual_effects.php?display=movie&id=882

A look at the visual effects.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:47 am

Ive never heard of Gaspar Noe before today, but seeing THAT makes me want to drop to me knees and offer my body to him for whatever sick desires he may have.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:00 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Ive never heard of Gaspar Noe before today, but seeing THAT makes me want to drop to me knees and offer my body to him for whatever sick desires he may have.

Like this?
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:30 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Like this?

God, I hope there is a Bluray release in the future. Man, it'd be even more brutal.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:33 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Like this?

Well, I'm sure we can work up to that, but I would prefer for him to be gentle at first. It's my first time. I'm not ready for the kinky stuff.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Heromaster111
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Heromaster111 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:37 am

Thomas Bangalter does the music for this and Irreversible now I'm interested.
Currently Playing-Battlefield:Bad Company 2 and SF4

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:17 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:http://www.buf.com/visual_effects.php?display=movie&id=882

A look at the visual effects.

Simply amazing.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:17 pm

Apparently there's a limited released of this starting today.

The-Happy-Go-Lucky-Wacko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby The-Happy-Go-Lucky-Wacko » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:00 am

I hope this hits On Demand soon. It looks really spectacular.

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:08 am

I saw this yesterday. I was disappointed. I've found it way too long, the content is way too diluted. It's kind of Eraserhead's uneventfulness meets Malick's The Tree of Life's retrospective of a whole existence. Add rainbow neons and boobs and you are done.
In the first 15 minutes or so you get some kind of explanation of the whole thing, so you know what to expect in a way. I guess it's a fine line between spoiling and providing an explanation.

All in all, an interesting way of actualising and showing what happens between death and rebirth according to the Tibetan Book of the Dead in some kind of first person experience. But again, way too long at 160 minutes for the so called "long version" of it.

Enki v.2
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Enki v.2 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:08 pm

TBH, I liked this film, but I agree with all your criticisms, Falcon.

That said, if you're going to choose style over substance, Enter the Void is a good choice to make -- it's put together competently, and it certainly has a thematically coherent way of telling the story (even though that story isn't particularly moving, IMO).

On the other hand, I think the story is supposed to essentially be a series of shocking events.
SPOILER: Show
I mean, the kid's parents die in a car crash, the brother and sister get separated in abusive orphanages, and when they reunite there's an incestuous subtext before they both get deep into drugs and prostitution, then the guy gets killed.
It's unoriginal and grating in the way the Oprah book club books about ritual abuse they make you read in high school are -- it's all overwrought and emotionally charged BS, and because the characters aren't well-rounded you end up just feeling manipulated by the author. If he wants to tell this story, at least he's chosen an interesting way to tell it that ultimately masks and makes up for the deficits in the story itself.[/spoiler]

Return to “Film and Video”