Relation to Characters

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

Relation to Characters

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:05 pm

Before I ever watched Evangelion. People told me I act like Shinji, I watched it and was amazed to find out that things I feel and say are the same as Shinji. I feel the same about me being worthless, pathetic, sissy, a loser... Wait... this isn't a thread for me ranting about what a horrible person I am. Anyways, this is a thread for relating yourself to any Evangelion characters.

So... I am sorry if this thread is stupid... I am just curious...
Last edited by TsubasaNoKoikokoro on Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:22 pm

I've been Shinji like at times, no worries.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:25 am

Well everyone has a unique character, but sometimes the way i act is similar to Misato's..
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:27 am

Asuka is the one who hit closest to home, in reminding me of myself as an adolescent; though socially acting much more like Rei.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:48 am

Deleted.
Last edited by Zuggy on Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:51 am

Not that it is a good thing, but I also related to Shinji...
I think the character relation would be rather common in evangelion, given that the characters are so human and span a variety of different personalities and defense mechanisms

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:27 pm

I am confused of whether I should be relieved or upset to know that others act like Shinji as well.

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:53 pm

I look back on my darker times and I was definitely Shinji, with a little Rei mixed in (the tendency to act and be alone, social awkwardness, etc.). This is why I think Eva is so brilliant--not because of the 'cool mechs' (actually, one could argue there aren't actually mechs in the series, save one :) ), but because of Anno's incredible ability to capture the complicated emotions and experience people feel at times and how they cope with those feelings. The characters speak to everyone and to different times in our lives, and the message the show carries is that you are not alone in these feelings and there is a better way to live your life--there is a light at the end of the tunnel--running away from these feelings will get you nowhere. Confronting your feelings/fears and accepting what life is is the better alternative.
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:29 pm

Be relieved...it means that you haven't gone completely nutso.
Now if you are wearing Shinji's uniform, learning Japanese and trying to find red heads that will dominate your life...thats when you should be worried

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:36 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:Be relieved...it means that you haven't gone completely nutso.
Now if you are wearing Shinji's uniform, learning Japanese and trying to find red heads that will dominate your life...thats when you should be worried

Yes, I would agree--once one dons a Tokyo-3 school uniform and searches out a personal DAT player the connection has moved away from 'healthy'... :wink:
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:03 pm

*cough* cosplay *cough*
jkjk
I dont think that any of the characters would lead appealing lives (they all have their own issues...)

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:41 pm

EHm.... I speak Japanese fluently... And I am attracted to tom-boys... especially with red hair... But atleast I am unirform free,

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:42 pm

Are you Japanese?
And I dont know if Asuka really counts as a tomboy...

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:44 pm

No... I am not Japanese in anyway. I learned it when I began watching Japanese anime. So I could watch undubbed. It stuck and now I am pretty fluent.

And I consider Asuka an agressive girl, or in modern terms, tom-boy.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:51 pm

You almost sound like me from like...a year ago
Aside from the part about the Japanese

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:53 pm

What does that mean?

Timesplitter 01
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby Timesplitter 01 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:59 pm

I am a mixture between Shinji and Kaji. I have traits from both characters.

Buts its not so hard to believe that someone would identify only with Shinji.
I have too much anime, yet it's not enough. Anime Addict, if it were a drug; I'd be dead.

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:19 pm

Timesplitter 01 wrote:Buts its not so hard to believe that someone would identify only with Shinji.

I think there is a reluctance and resistance to identifying soley with Shinji--he gets a bad rap in my opinion. People are more like Shinji than they know, or at least, want admit. Shinji is ridiculed as a coward, sissy, weakling, etc. because we tend to overestimate the frequency of the heroic archetype in the world. We also detest the opposite and therefore fail to see just how similar we are to a character like Shinji. People fail to identify with Shinji because he represents that which they hate about themselves.

K2Grey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby K2Grey » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:18 pm

Well, I would also say that I relate to Shinji most of all the characters. But I have a much higher opinion of him than seemingly everyone else, who appears to confirm his self-evaluation by constantly bashing him on forums about how he's weak, a coward, messed up, etc. while totally ignoring the fact that Evangelion features an abnormal 14 year old boy in an abnormal world who has an abnormal job of piloting an abnormal "mecha" and lives with an abnormal alcoholic/nymphomaniac and another abnormal 14 year old kid and is under abnormal stress and has abnormal amounts of nasty stuff happen to him, to which things like feeling the pain of having a broken arm and a hole through your head, looks miniscule in comparison. Under such conditions any kind of personality flaw is going to be magnified about 50x until mental breakdown is reached.

Having said all this, I still like to think I'm not quite as far to the "super-introvert" section of the personality graph as Shinji is :)

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:07 am

The first time I watched it, I felt a sort of omniempathy with all of the characters. It was a very disembodying experience, and was probably the first time I was being made to feel like myself.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”