Misato the slut?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Allemann
Lilin
Lilin
Age: 31
Posts: 1779
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Location: Europe

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Allemann » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:47 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:If she were sexually promiscuous we'd expect the show to show it. They bother to show her going to a wedding and NERV staff doing laundry, after all; why not show something that's actually relevant to the plot?


Her promiscuity isn't relevant for the plot. It enriches the character. And there are many things that ought to be but aren't elaborated in Evangelion intentionally because they serve a symbolic function. That's why you can't expect that Misato's promiscuity is presented in detail. It's condensed in Misato's behavior to Kaji and Shinji.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma
Posts: 23183
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Lost in Bat Country
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:57 am

This is one of those shows where characters cling to personal fictions and agonize over them again and again.

Episode 26 wrote:Shinji (OFF):
I hate myself.

Asuka (PHONE - OFF):
I hate you! I hate you! I hate you so much!

TOJI (PHONE - OFF):
Man, I just hate you!

KENSUKE (PHONE - OFF):
I hate who you are.

HIKARI (PHONE - OFF):
I'm sorry, I hate you.

RITSUKO (PHONE - OFF):
I hate you.

HYUGA (PHONE - OFF):
I do hate you.

AOBA (PHONE - OFF):
I hate you.

IBUKI (PHONE - OFF):
I hate who you are.

Kaji (PHONE - OFF):
I hate the person you are.

Misato (PHONE - OFF):
I just hate you!

Shinji (PHONE - OFF):
See? Everyone thinks so.

Shinji (OFF):
I know that's what they think.

Rei (OFF):
You're just making yourself believe that.


Shinji (OFF):
No! Because I hate myself!

Rei (OFF):
So, you've made yourself believe that everyone else thinks so too.

Seems strangely relevant.

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:36 pm

View Original PostAllemann wrote:Her promiscuity isn't relevant for the plot.


It's quite relevant to her plot, as much as Shinji's and Asuka's self-hatred are to theirs.

That's why you can't expect that Misato's promiscuity is presented in detail. It's condensed in Misato's behavior to Kaji and Shinji.


Rubbish. Fixating on one guy is the opposite of promiscuity, and that pass toward Shinji was so fucked up it can't be taken as evidence of anything.

If she's supposed to be promiscuous the show would show that. It would show her going on a date instead of working late (again and again and again), or bringing men home, or something. The fact that it doesn't is relevant, particularly since she makes such a big deal of it.

And of course then she goes and says the lines under discussion, and everything comes together nicely.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Warren Peace
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 88
Posts: 1737
Joined: May 28, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:04 am

View Original PostAllemann wrote:Her promiscuity isn't relevant for the plot. It enriches the character. And there are many things that ought to be but aren't elaborated in Evangelion intentionally because they serve a symbolic function. That's why you can't expect that Misato's promiscuity is presented in detail. It's condensed in Misato's behavior to Kaji and Shinji.


This is an important point I think. NGE is good about cutting through the fat, even if it frustrates the viewer. Wouldn't you like to know more about the Rei clones? Of course you would, but that digression wouldn't illuminate the central story. Anno & co. leave the background in the background. Which Misato's sexual history certainly is.

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:22 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:This is an important point I think. NGE is good about cutting through the fat, even if it frustrates the viewer. Wouldn't you like to know more about the Rei clones? Of course you would, but that digression wouldn't illuminate the central story. Anno & co. leave the background in the background. Which Misato's sexual history certainly is.


There are two central stories in NGE -- the first is the actual plot, which involves the Evas and Angels and HIP. The second is the individual character arcs, particularly those of Shinji and Misato (with Rei and Asuka coming close behind). As we see in EoTV the second quickly overtakes the first toward the end, and Misato's sexual history is directly on point there. If her self-assessment is inaccurate, or indeed an outright falsehood, that puts an entirely different spin on her segments (and much of the imagery) seen in her segments of EoTV.

The fact that her self-assessment is not supported in the least by things we see her actually doing in the show, and is completely at odds with what she's implying in her conversation with Kaji, is relevant. There's no reason to structure things this way if not to make a point about her character.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 5040
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kendrix » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:14 pm

I think it's just supposed to be her self doubts. A woman being any sort of active role in sexuality-related context is relatively new, and still often gets those women called sluts.

You can tell she's overreacting because one of the "slutty" things she agonizes over is her relationship with Kaji/ its reprise.

So, she dates one guy her age and fucks him, while haviong feelings for bhim that are stronger than her capacity to fight them. Big Deal. It's a completely normal thing. It's like she feels guilty for hsving sex at all, or for simply being feminine.
I know that Problem myself - For a girl, the father is the first man you ever try to impress, and your mother is someone you recognize your own femeninity in. So, if your father rejects you and treats your mother like crap, you feel rejected as a girl. You assocviate your mother's weakness with feminity (which is why girls who see their mothers beaten have a higher risk of actually tolerating being beaten if their boyfriends does it to them).
It also gives you self-doubts - "I was rejected by one of the first people I ever met and he was my own dad... just what are the other ppl going to think?"This, in turn, makes her overly vulnerable to society's talk about "sluts".
Misato adopted her professional, independent ,in-control, playfully-sexual persona to not end up like her mother who WAS dependent and somewhat submissive (She ultimately divorced the guy, but apparently, she was "crying all the time", ) That playfully-sexual person is not her, that's what she does to get ppl to think she is awesome and confident.
Her desire to be seen like that drives her to be a tease because that's what people find hot (ep 25: "I act like I think I have to act to be accepted") but so, her desire to be not like her mother (independent, free of guys) drives her to do things that are like her mother (reveal herself before men, with the added bonus of the guy in question somewhat resembling her father - or so she sees it. She would be watching out for her Bf to be NOT like her father, and that might drive her to look too closely. And she isn't ablöe to seperate the good personality traits of her father from the bad ones because she wants to see him as a rather infantile enemy figure)
Inside, she is just plain uncomfortable with being a woman itself (As she admits in her talk with Kaji "Being with you, being a woman, it all got so scary...") She feels like she mustn't enjoy casting off the facade and enjoy her sexuality/being treated like a hot chick, because that's depending, that's giving herself away, that's doing an overly femenine thing.

I mean, what do we see of her sex life?
She's the only female Eva character to ever wear trousers and her skirts, while short, are nothing complared to Ritsuko's who always leave half her ass bare. (That's the joke, actually: The chick who acts all flirty is in fact depressed about being single and alone, and the one who appeared to be single and a seemingly cold, mature workaholic was actually screwing someone 20 years her senior all the time without being in a proper relationship.)
Her appartment didn't look like she was expecting much visits, Kaji seems to think she gets around more than she actually does (He thought she left him for someone else - It didn't happen. He asked her if she has a boyfriend, she didn't) She shows quite the reaction to Shinji's "So that's why you're still single" and gets irritated that everyone but her is getting marriedand tough Hyuuga (who's young, gullible and probably easy to seduce) obviously had the hots for her, she didn't go past exploiting it to have him do her laundry.
If she was really fine as long as she can fuck, he'd be the obvious target.

The alternate live (for what it's worth) action scene also portrays her as "lonely and single" instead of "really getting around". She gets upset over Touji's and Asuka's... procreation noises, which prompt Ritsuko to accuse her of being jealous.

So does Rebuild, in which Kaji calls her out on having a rather dude-repelling attitude.
Make Clone Love Not Clone War

jimoinj
Embryo
Age: 41
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 20, 2012
Location: Australia
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby jimoinj » Tue Mar 20, 2012 5:52 am

Misato's way of relating to men she cared about was physically. But she only slept with Kaji, who she still had feelings for, so I don't think she was a slut. Her 'encouragement' to Shinji in the end of Evangelion was like giving him a final gift of love before she died, though their relationship was always ambigious - not quite a parent-child relationship or a boyfriend girlfriend. Just an unrealised possibility.
Young boy become a legend!

Merkaba
Sachiel
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 236
Joined: Jun 11, 2012
Location: Tokyo-3, MI

How big of a slut was Misato REALLY?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Merkaba » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:00 pm

So we all know Misato and Kaji "loafed around" for a week, that Kaji was "kind enough to deflower" Misato, etc. etc.

My question is:
1) Did Ritsuko and Misato have relations, and
2) Was Misato known to be promiscuous with men beside Kaji?

I've always wondered about 1 because of how jealous Ritsuko gets when Kaji is brought into the picture (as per her letter to her mom), and I've always wondered about 2 because of the things said about Misato by Hyuga and the others during episode 26. ("Congratulations on your promotion" seemed like he was implying that she slept her way to the top.)

These are actually serious questions I have, and not just some random sophomoric post, I promise.

Also, with how close it seems Misato, Ritsuko and Kaji became, my friends and I have talked, in great lengths, about whether we thought they had threesomes and such in college. We came to the conclusion that they did. Thoughts?

Again, it may not seem like it, but these are legit inquiries.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Posts: 3284
Joined: Dec 08, 2011

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dream » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Before anything, i just wanted to say the thread title is fucking hilarious, and i think that's actually the reason i'm even so much as posting here :rofl:

Regarding 1: I don't know, i don't think it's likely considering Ritsuko's personality and attitude, but who knows. It's not impossible, but i also don't think it's likely. As for Ritsuko's jealously i honestly have no idea where you got that impression from, i haven't watched NGE in quite a while now, but as far as i recall, Ritsuko commented feeling a bit wary of Kaji, and then her mother said that Ritsuko always felt a bit distrustful/afraid of men (probably because of her lack of a father) And Instrumentality is... Well, Instrumentality, i wouldn't take almost anything that happens in those heavily psychological scenes at face value, there is also the fact that Misato's peception of herself also affects what kind of stuff she experiences in Instrumentality, but other posters could explain it better than me. She got her promotion by being a capable officer instead of sexual favors, by the way.

I am baffled at why you and your friends discussed the possibility of threesomes between them so much, and even more at the conclusion that they did. Personally i don't believe that could have ever happened, but opinions.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

JoeD80
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
Posts: 395
Joined: Jan 08, 2010
Location: Los Angeles

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby JoeD80 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:14 pm

I seem to remember this being a thread a year or so ago...

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 293
Joined: Aug 31, 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Quadhonk » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:15 pm

Pretty sure Kaji is the only one she's had sex with. In epsiode 19 she has this conversation:

Kaji: I didn't know you still smoked.
Misato: I only smoke after this sort of thing, so noone knows but you. Here's smoke in your eyes (blows smoke).
Kaji: Really, I'm honored.

This implies that she's only had sex with Kaji. If she only smokes after sex, and he's the only one to see her smoke. Unless, she's lying. But there's no evidence to lead me to believe that she is.
Last edited by Quadhonk on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's difficult in times like these; ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality.
It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical.
Yet I cling to them because I believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
- Anne Frank (21 July 1944)

Merkaba
Sachiel
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 236
Joined: Jun 11, 2012
Location: Tokyo-3, MI

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Merkaba » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:16 pm

I figured I'd need the title to get the conversation going. :)

The jealousy seemed to stem from her letter to her mom while she was in college. It's true that her mother's response was something to the effect of "You've always been weary of men," and yet, wouldn't that also suggest she might have sought physical comfort in women?

I take Instrumentality as fact, and even if it's only Misato's perception of herself, doesn't that mean that she would feel like others perceive her as slutty because SHE perceives herself as such? Why would she think others thought she slept her way to the top?

There's nothing to be baffled about regarding my friends' and my discussion about the possible threesome - it began with us trying to decide if we thought Misato and Ritsuko were having relations, and then when Kaji was introduced, Ritsuko seemed jealous (to all three of us watching) and then warmed up to him, so much so as to flirt with him when he returned to Japan during the series. In our minds, at least, that was indicative of some sort of outcome of past relations.

Plus, come on, it's Kaji - he could definitely pull something like that off.

Hyper Shinchan
God
God
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 4774
Joined: Aug 07, 2005
Location: Bunga Bunga Republic
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:19 pm

View Original PostQuadhonk wrote:Pretty sure Kaji is the only one she's had sex with.

Maybe but I'm pretty much sure that she fucked Hyuga-chan to use him as aide after Kaji died, I don't remember well but I think that something similar happens in Hyuga's Evangelion 2 scenario, perhaps Reichu or SSD remember/understand it better than me.
Last edited by Hyper Shinchan on Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Merkaba
Sachiel
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 236
Joined: Jun 11, 2012
Location: Tokyo-3, MI

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Merkaba » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:20 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Maybe but I'm pretty much sure that she fucked Hyuga-chan to use him as her aide after Kaji died, I don't remember well but I think that something similar happens in Hyuga's Evangelion 2 scenario, maybe Reichu or SSD remember/understand it better than me.


I've always had that feeling, too. And that would make sense, then, why he is the one calling her out on her perceived "sleeping her way into a promotion."

Quadhonk
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 293
Joined: Aug 31, 2012
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Quadhonk » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:20 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Maybe but I'm pretty much sure that she fucked Hyuga-chan to use him as aide after Kaji died, I don't remember well but I think that something similar happens in Hyuga's Evangelion 2 scenario, maybe Reichu or SSD remember/understand it better than me.


Well we see throughout the series and in EoE that she leads Hyuuga on to get her way. But nothing implies that she slept with him.
It's difficult in times like these; ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us, only to be crushed by grim reality.
It's a wonder I haven't abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical.
Yet I cling to them because I believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
- Anne Frank (21 July 1944)

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Posts: 9000
Joined: Jun 14, 2004
Location: The Evanets.
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: How big of a slut was Misato REALLY?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:41 pm

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:1) Did Ritsuko and Misato have relations, and
2) Was Misato known to be promiscuous with men beside Kaji?

No. :facepalm:
Webmaster, EvaMonkey.com; Co-founder, EvaGeeks.org; Moderator, r/evangelion.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Twitch]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 61
Posts: 20263
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:21 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Maybe but I'm pretty much sure that she fucked Hyuga-chan to use him as aide after Kaji died
That Misato was still moping around the apartment after Shinji had rejected her when she could have sought consolation with Hyuga strongly indicates there was only a one-way crush.

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:Did Ritsuko and Misato have relations,
Its about the same stretch as "Was Hikari trying to seduce Asuka during their sleepover?" You have to put the goggles on.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Hyper Shinchan
God
God
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 4774
Joined: Aug 07, 2005
Location: Bunga Bunga Republic
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:32 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:That Misato was still moping around the apartment after Shinji had rejected her when she could have sought consolation with Hyuga strongly indicates there was only a one-way crush.

I don't know, Misato was really using Hyuga a lot late in the last few episodes, I find it pretty much expectable that she was rewarding all his hard efforts somehow.
EDIT:
Also, she said in that same episode that everyone was fine for her, I don't see why she shouldn't do it exactly with Hyuga of all people, maybe she just changed her mind about having sex with someone on that day.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Bagheera
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 18626
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:51 pm

Oh Christ, not this again.

All of these questions have been addressed already in the thread. Just read it already and move on.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Posts: 3284
Joined: Dec 08, 2011

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dream » Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:46 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Oh Christ, not this again.

All of these questions have been addressed already in the thread. Just read it already and move on.


Even though i agree (checked this thread a long time ago, now checking it again) I have to say i still find this topic kind of funny. I disagree with the idea of Misato being a slut or anything similar, of course, but it's still funny.

That aside, yeah i don't know if there is anything left to discuss, hopefully there is, but at least i don't see anything :shrug:
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.


Return to “Evangelion Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest