Misato the slut?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:28 am

The efforts people will go to to twist a scene into saying something it obviously doesn't say astound me. But whatever. I'll note only the following:

-- This isn't a "too many cooks" problem, since Misato's portrayal elsewhere fully supports her statement here. We never see her going out on dates or engaging in sexual activity of any sort with other men, and the closest she gets to that sort of thing is flirting with Hyuga and her awkward pass at Shinji following Rei's death. She clearly thinks of herself as a slut, and that image does fit her public persona while off duty, but nothing in the show backs it up. Her lines here just confirm what the show's already made plain: it's all in her head, and she's just as messed up as the kids are.

-- As for her lying and such: she doesn't need to do that. She could just as easily say "I only smoke after things like this." and leave it at that. Lying to Kaji gets her nothing at this point: she already has him in her bed, she's already on board with him (true) mission, they're on the same page. Telling him she's been with no one else serves no purpose if it isn't true.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, folks. Take the line for what it is and move on.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Radical Lanzar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Radical Lanzar » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:34 am

I thought it was Ritsuko that was the slut.
If I ever come up with something useful for my signature... and I kind of got lost.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:06 am

View Original PostRadical Lanzar wrote:I thought it was Ritsuko that was the slut.
She's a one man woman.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:57 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:She's a one man woman.

Yes. Slut is the wrong word for her. She is continuing in the family tradition, though.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:31 am

I think the conclusion that we're inexorably coming to here is that Gendo is the biggest slut in all of Evangelion.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Radical Lanzar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Radical Lanzar » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:24 pm

Ritsuko, a one man woman? She was accepting Kaji's advances and she still lusts after Gendou. Shes also one of those empowered women. That kind of attitude could sleep with separate men and not feel guilty about it. To top it off, she still accepts Kaji's advances knowing how Misato feels about him. That is a slutty attitude if I ever saw it.

Misato sleeps with one man on series, both in the present and implied in the past. She spends most of her time pissed off at him or refusing his sexual innuendo/advances. That's anti-slut. Her trying to frustrated a young male isn't slutty behavior - older women do that to younger men, especially teenagers - all the time.

[Edit] I believe what I'm trying to say is Misato is most certainly a pervert, but not a slut.
If I ever come up with something useful for my signature... and I kind of got lost.

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:36 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I think the conclusion that we're inexorably coming to here is that Gendo is the biggest slut in all of Evangelion.

Thank you!

Now we're finally getting somewhere in this discussion.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:14 pm

Radical Lanzar: Kaji and Ritsuko are old college buddies and clearly quite comfortable with each other. (They have tacit knowledge of each others' vices, too, it would seem...) He was messing around with her and she played along until he dropped the act (cf. when they actually exchange greetings).
Last edited by Reichu on Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:14 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I think the conclusion that we're inexorably coming to here is that Gendo is the biggest slut in all of Evangelion.

How could he not be when he's pretty much literally fucked everyone but Shinji and Asuka?
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:20 pm

And I'm not so sure about Shinji.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

In her head. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:50 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:How could he not be when he's pretty much literally fucked everyone but Shinji and Asuka?

Does that make Keel a gay robot?

@Topic: I'm inclined to agree that her slutiness is all in her head, even her flirtation with Makoto was really just one line she didn't even direct squarely at him, but at the angel.

By the time of the descent arc, he was still playful, but she was all business.

The only "service" we ever see her offer was to Shinji and his classmates, and I doubt she ever tried to sleep with the latter.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Radical Lanzar
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Radical Lanzar » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm dropping whatever argument I was on in favor of Gendou also being a slut.

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:08 pm

View Original PostAuraTwilight wrote:How could he not be when he's pretty much literally fucked everyone but Shinji and Asuka?

I don't think he literally fucked anyone apart from Yui and the Akagis (though one wonders why he never got around to Rei).

Figuratively, however . . .

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:23 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:though one wonders why he never got around to Rei

The guy really, REALLY loves his "dead" wife. He puts out for the Akagi women, ironically "betraying" that love, but only because he deems it absolutely necessary to secure the help he needs to get back to the women he really wants. Throwing them a bone keeps them cooperative. To that end, having sex with Rei serves no purpose.

He actually seems to regard Rei as a daughter more than a perverse Yui surrogate (and, like any other child of his, he treats her like shit :devil: ). Gendo's disturbed, but he doesn't have to be disturbed like THAT. Yes, yes, he's not beyond ceremonial breast-touching, but, if he was getting any jollies from it, there's absolutely no way to tell...
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Warren Peace
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:46 am

View Original PostRadical Lanzar wrote:Ritsuko, a one man woman? She was accepting Kaji's advances and she still lusts after Gendou. Shes also one of those empowered women. That kind of attitude could sleep with separate men and not feel guilty about it. To top it off, she still accepts Kaji's advances knowing how Misato feels about him. That is a slutty attitude if I ever saw it.

Sexually, Ritsuko is a way more interesting than Misato. Is she jealous of Katsuragi's relationship with Kaji? How does she feel about being seduced by the same man who seduced her mother? Does she even know about that? If so, does this fuel her actions in EOE at least partially?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:05 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:being seduced by the same man who seduced her mother?
Check episode 21 again. Young Ritsuko walks in on Gendo and her mother snogging; and clearly shows disappointment (inference; that Gendo had not chosen her).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:33 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Is she jealous of Katsuragi's relationship with Kaji?

They're implying SOMETHING in 21 when they show her sullenly lighting up while her voiceover gripes about Misato and Kaji's week-long sexathon.

Does she even know about that?

In addition to what Tines said...
Episode 25' wrote:RITSUKO:
It didn't activate? Why!?
Betrayed by Casper!
How could you, Mother? Choosing your man over your own daughter...

Warren Peace
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:22 am

For some reason I remembered that as "this" man instead of "your" man. It goes to show, Misato's hangups are fairly standard-issue. But Ritsuko? Competing against the clone of Yui Ikari for the affections of a man who was gettin' down with mom before he drove her to suicide? And now Ritsuko is responsible for maintaining the ghost in the machine of said mom while also working with the girl Gendo used to kill her? Quit whining Misato, you got it easy.

Allemann
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:00 am

That we don't see other men with Misato during the show isn't supportive of anything. The show doesn't dwell on each moment of Misato's life. I'm personally of the opinion that since her arrival to Tokyo-3 Nerv base to her death she didn't sleep with anyone else except with Kaji, but this is only my surmise.

The show is also completely shut on most of Misato's pre-Tokyo-3 life. We don't know sufficiently about her - her twenties are the most crucial - to tell she wasn't with other men next to Kaji and that those relationships weren't short and very physical.

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:21 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:The guy really, REALLY loves his "dead" wife. He puts out for the Akagi women, ironically "betraying" that love, but only because he deems it absolutely necessary to secure the help he needs to get back to the women he really wants. Throwing them a bone keeps them cooperative. To that end, having sex with Rei serves no purpose.

He actually seems to regard Rei as a daughter more than a perverse Yui surrogate (and, like any other child of his, he treats her like shit :devil: ). Gendo's disturbed, but he doesn't have to be disturbed like THAT. Yes, yes, he's not beyond ceremonial breast-touching, but, if he was getting any jollies from it, there's absolutely no way to tell...

I suppose there's no reason he has to be a monster. But hey, in for a penny, in for a pound . . .

View Original PostAllemann wrote:That we don't see other men with Misato during the show isn't supportive of anything.

Of course it is. If she were sexually promiscuous we'd expect the show to show it. They bother to show her going to a wedding and NERV staff doing laundry, after all; why not show something that's actually relevant to the plot?

The fact that she thinks of herself as someone who uses men in this fashion when the show indicates exactly the opposite is relevant.

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”